Did you get any gear for Christmas??

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

I don't get anything for Christmas anymore... And this particular "holiday season" had nothing but turns for the worst for me this year.
Sorry for being a downer, but I just had to get that out of my system.

I'm with ya. I'm not a real big fan of the winter holidays either. It seems to me like it's just forced pleasantries. Family members who won't speak to me the rest of the year, but are suddenly interested in me on this one day. Yeah... F right off! Also, 2017 had plenty of death, bad news, and ugliness. I'm a bit sour as well.

Anyway, there was this one bright spot. A friend of my Dad's recalled that I like old computers and asked me if I wanted this before they sent it to Goodwill:

DSCF7748.jpg
Filename
DSCF7748.jpg
File size
56.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You bet your ass I wanted it! I've always wanted an original fruity iMac G3! I just could never justify the cost. This one appears to be of the graphite flavor. Model M5521, EMC 1857.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet due to other ongoing projects, but I look forward to learning about this machine, rebuilding it, and really getting to know it. I've never had a Mac before, so I'm really excited to finally have this one. I'm hoping it's strong enough to at least run Myth or some other late 90's Mac games.

So, this poor little old iMac made the holidays tolerable after all. I look at it as sort-of like Charlie Brown's pathetic little tree. Anyway, it cheered me up and made me happy.

Reply 22 of 23, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:
I'm with ya. I'm not a real big fan of the winter holidays either. It seems to me like it's just forced pleasantries. Family […]
Show full quote
DracoNihil wrote:

I don't get anything for Christmas anymore... And this particular "holiday season" had nothing but turns for the worst for me this year.
Sorry for being a downer, but I just had to get that out of my system.

I'm with ya. I'm not a real big fan of the winter holidays either. It seems to me like it's just forced pleasantries. Family members who won't speak to me the rest of the year, but are suddenly interested in me on this one day. Yeah... F right off! Also, 2017 had plenty of death, bad news, and ugliness. I'm a bit sour as well.

Anyway, there was this one bright spot. A friend of my Dad's recalled that I like old computers and asked me if I wanted this before they sent it to Goodwill:

DSCF7748.jpg

You bet your ass I wanted it! I've always wanted an original fruity iMac G3! I just could never justify the cost. This one appears to be of the graphite flavor. Model M5521, EMC 1857.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet due to other ongoing projects, but I look forward to learning about this machine, rebuilding it, and really getting to know it. I've never had a Mac before, so I'm really excited to finally have this one. I'm hoping it's strong enough to at least run Myth or some other late 90's Mac games.

So, this poor little old iMac made the holidays tolerable after all. I look at it as sort-of like Charlie Brown's pathetic little tree. Anyway, it cheered me up and made me happy.

If that is a Graphite G3, then technically it's not an original "fruity" one- Those range from Bondi Blue to Oct 99 G3 IIRC.

Reply 23 of 23, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
harddrivespin wrote:

If that is a Graphite G3, then technically it's not an original "fruity" one- Those range from Bondi Blue to Oct 99 G3 IIRC.

It is definitely not an original 1st generation iMac.

Although graphite may not be a delicious fruit, it does indeed have a flavor. Not a good one, mind you, but it definitely does have a flavor.