VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, for a DOSBox-based project, does anyone know if either of these Windows 3.x utilities ever existed:

(1) A utility that automatically copies a file to a specified backup folder when you drop the file on the utility?

(2) A folder watcher that will run in the background, and perform a specified action when a new file appears in a specified folder?

I seem to remember that (1) existed, but I can't remember it's name. I'm not sure (2) ever existed, but I can always hope..

Reply 2 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you copy a file into a folder window (and the window opens on to a folder on the same drive as the original location of the file), the file gets moved into the folder that the window opens on to. It doesn't stay in its original location. I'm looking for something that will automatically make a copy of the file in the target folder while keeping the original where it is.

I think I see how to do this using WINCMD 1.4, but it would be a lot better if someone has already done it right...

Reply 4 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Asterisk wrote:

Ctrl+Drag in Win 3.1's file manager.

Certainly true, but I'm looking for something that will always take whatever file is selected and copy it to the same (pre-specified) folder for backup, etc. I've got this working in a compiled VB-style script right now, but I need to do a bit more work on it.