VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let's face it, there are a TON of games out there & none of us has time to play them all. Sometimes it's nice to just sit back & watch an expert go through one. 😀

That said, there are also a TON of Let's Plays out there, and about 95% of them are unwatchably awful. So I figure in this thread you can either point out good ones, or ask for recommendations for games you wanna see.

I'll start - LP oldschooler Psychedelic Eyeball is currently going through all of Lemmings. He's reached Lemmings 2: The Tribes, which is by far my favorite game in the series, but I was never good enough to beat it so this is pretty entertaining to watch. Here's hoping he gets to some of the later, weirder ones like 3D Lemmings & Revolutions. No screaming (well, a bit of shouting), no face-cam, no boring unedited slogs through 20 fails on the same map, just good gameplay and funny commentary from a guy who knows what he's doing.

His take on System Shock 2 is also quite good.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 11, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dilandau3000 did a bunch of sierra classics, intelligent guy who's put a lot of effort into his lps. Meridian's done some old games like x-com and civ 2, relaxed style. Overthegun plays old console stuff; blind runs, lots of swearing etc. so you either like him or not. Pakratt13 has to be commended for his more or less daily spelunky episodes going on for several years (800+ videos). Likewise, gixg17 for his 5+-year-running bethesda series. Wizarduous/ex-erykktehdestroyer if you like a more depressed and obscure style. There's lots more of course, which of it one considers awful depends on the person.

Reply 2 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of my favorites is Kikoskia. Very entertaining and has a good voice (even voice acts his characters quite well at times). I also really like LightningBoltForever. No nonsense, very skilled in the games he plays, and good voice. Honorable mentions go to RPGLoony and Byron.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 11, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would help if you guys post links to playthroughs of actual games that you thought were well done, don't just shotgun random youtubers with hundreds of videos on their channels. I meant this thread to be more of a curated watch list.

clueless1 wrote:

One of my favorites is Kikoskia. Very entertaining and has a good voice (even voice acts his characters quite well at times). [...]

Gaah, that guy...... I think I got about three vids into his run of Albion before I realized he was going to read every line of every character in that stupid fake thespian voice & never edit anything for brevity. Life's too short for that.

If you don't cringe at the voices you might like his stuff better than I did though. More power to you if that's the case. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Would help if you guys post links to playthroughs of actual games that you thought were well done, don't just shotgun random youtubers with hundreds of videos on their channels. I meant this thread to be more of a curated watch list.

Okay...but everyone has different tastes in games. I'd think linking to a good Let's Player's channel would let the individual be able to scroll through to find a game they'd like to see, rather than force feeding them *my* favorite game. *Shrug* Here you go, these are a few of my favorites from the Let's Players I previously linked. FWIW, I actually play these games to completion, and watch bits and pieces of the Let's Plays before I start a game and while playing, especially when I'm deciding which game to play next, or when I get stuck in a game and need a little help to get past the wall, so to speak.

Kikoskia - Ultima Underworld
LightningBoltForever - Return to Castle Wolfenstein
RPGLoony - Might & Magic World of Xeen
Byron - Eschalon: Book 1

xjas wrote:

Gaah, that guy...... I think I got about three vids into his run of Albion before I realized he was going to read every line of every character in that stupid fake thespian voice & never edit anything for brevity. Life's too short for that.

Yep. To each his own.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 11, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Start with dilandau and once you've gone through his playlist, come back for more. Mine wasn't a list of random youtubers by the way.

Reply 6 of 11, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't really have any recommendations that were not already mentioned here. (It's also worth mentioning Psychedelic Eyeball streams on Twitch, and he recently streamed Blood 2: The Chosen)

I was going to be a "Let's Play" kind of individual but the first thing I tried to record decided to crash alot, so it kinda took the spirit down with it.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't understand much German, but I found this XCOM LP to be really engrossing (not least because he seems to be reliving the 1970 TV series in game).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDMrFvVsBY

There's also this LP for JA2 v1.13 which is really great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHpo0CJb4U&l … 9AC8F9D93A9E45E

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

If you don't cringe at the voices you might like his stuff better than I did though. More power to you if that's the case. 😜

Nice, you ask people for recommendations and then dump on them for daring to post something you don't like? Stay classy dude.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 11, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Yeesh, I wasn't 'dumping on' Clueless1 or anyone. I checked out some of the channels he posted, realized I knew one of them from earlier, and posted my impression of it. Feel free to criticise the one I suggested, I'm not gonna get offended.

clueless1 wrote:

To each his own.

Exactly. 😀

This thread wasn't really about asking for recommendations for me, I thought we all could post playthroughs we like in here or get suggestions from everyone and discuss them. Regarding specific playthroughs vs. just linking the whole channel - we already have a "what youtube channels do you subscribe to?" thread so I tried to make this one more about individual games & avoid duplicating that.

That said, I don't own the thread, I just started it; so post what you want. 😒

Reply 10 of 11, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm subscribed to none of the channels I listed so am not eligible to post in that thread. As you say, the recommendations weren't to be for you in particular. You pick what you like and someone else will disagree with your taste, naturally the recommendations will then from your perspective tend to the generic and not the specific.

I've been watching kiko's lps for close to ten years, but lately am put off by how he handles adventure games using walkthroughs. Dilandau does the prepared adventure playthrough style much better, kiko just tries to pretend he's not looking at hints and it doesn't come across well.

Reply 11 of 11, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Maybe I'll give his stuff another shot eventually. I think Albion is just too damn long a game for his style. Reading the text dialog word-for-word out loud is a huge pet peeve of mine though.

In other news, AGDQ is on. Check out this mind-bending 9-minute run of Duke3D or this unbelievably tight 100% I wanna be the Boshy. I have no idea how anyone could possibly get that good at these games.