VOGONS

Common searches

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From time to time I have small questions that I do not feel are worthy of their own threads, so I usually end up derailing the "What retro activity did you get up to today?" thread. So instead, I thought I would just fire off a few minor questions I had today here, and maybe this can turn into a thread of its own and people can pop in to ask small questions that don't really deserve their own thread without derailing other conversations?
So hey, I hope this wasn't a bad idea.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 6, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So instead, I thought I would just fire off a few minor questions I had today here, and maybe this can turn into a thread of its own and people can pop in to ask small questions that don't really deserve their own thread without derailing other conversations?

I actually had this very idea, but I thought that such a thread will get messy, fast. Let's give it a try, anyway 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

I actually had this very idea, but I thought that such a thread will get messy, fast. Let's give it a try, anyway 😀

I tend to agree with your statement (that such a thread will get messy).
On several occasions did we have to ask the administrators to split out the discussions/topics for us and create a new thread, since the discussions were diverting from the original thread.
Already now, we are discussing two completely different topics (or five, if you count each question in the first post as a separate topic) under the same thread, which makes things messy and difficult to reference.

Personally, I think that every question deserves it's own thread. It helps to keep things a bit more organised (provided that users can describe the topic properly).
In some cases, you will find a thread with a similar topic which means you can just carry on with that topic, provided it's not a very old one (which in that case, start a new thread and refer to the original one).

Last edited by jesolo on 2018-01-15, 14:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

From time to time I have small questions that I do not feel are worthy of their own threads, so I usually end up derailing the "What retro activity did you get up to today?" thread. So instead, I thought I would just fire off a few minor questions I had today here, and maybe this can turn into a thread of its own and people can pop in to ask small questions that don't really deserve their own thread without derailing other conversations?
So hey, I hope this wasn't a bad idea.

IMO, it's a terrible idea. Each one of your questions is certainly worthy of its own thread (and they are even connected, so you could certainly start a single thread to address them all, but make it specific and with a proper title!)

Threads don't cost money, and they make it easier to search, group by title, and track information. I hate generic "garbage bin" threads where everyone just writes everything remotely related to something, and that run for hundreds of pages. Posts on page 1 have no connection with page 2 (not to mention page 73), and it's impossible to find anything.

Please, please, somebody lock this thread and nip this in the bud.

Last edited by dr_st on 2018-01-15, 20:28. Edited 1 time in total.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, I didn't like this at all. It's hard to moderate - and parse.

appiah4, never feel that your questions aren't worthy of their own thread, everything you asked in your initial post was fine.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just about to reply here, but Stiletto beat me to the punch.

I agree, the thread will just become a mess and too much really useful information will be hard to search for later users. Appiah4, all your questions are worthy its own thread. Also guys, keep up with the good answers 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I'm not a fan of catch-all threads in general, though there's certainly exceptions, ie. the "PowerVR Fun thread", though that's PowerVR-specific.

While I certainly could have been more efficient at it... all topics have now been placed in their own thread and unlocked, have at it, gang.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto