VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I have this game and I am trying to get some hex codes to work by using a hex editor and some hex cheats, but I really do not know anything about hex. This is probably why I can't find what it's teling me to find and change below. Whenever I type into the search area of the hex editor, for example the below: 03F3 it says cannot find string. What am I doing wrong? Anyway like I said I can't seem to get it to do the below. Thank you.

Here is how to jump to any mission in any of the tours:
For starters make a backup copy of your pilot (PLT)
file and then open up the original using a hex editor.
Search for the following hex offsets and then
replace them with the suggested values below:

0189 08 gives you the B-Wing Maze badge
03F3 change value to 00-12 for tour 4 missions 1-18
03F4 change value to 00-12 for tour 5 missions 1-18
03F5 change value to 00-12 for tour 6 missions 1-18
03F6 change value to 00-12 for tour 7 missions 1-18

Reply 1 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

03F3 is a hexadecimal offset in a file, NOT string (imagine it is as "line number" in your text editor - though there are usually more (8/16) addresses on 1 line in hex editor!).
There must be some function to go to the specified address/offset in the file.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
03F3 change value to 00-12 for tour 4 missions 1-18 

let's decipher this
03f3 is an adress (location from the beginning.)
the number there (now 00 according to you) (only one number)

should be changed to 00-12 for tour 4 mession 1-18 ...
how does this works ?
remember that 12 hex=18 decimal

so at the location 03f3 you have to put the mission you want to play in hexidecimal notation. (that's one byte in the file) (maybe minus 1 if they start counting from zero)
00 mission 1
01 mission 2
02 mission 3
03 mission 4
0a mission 11
0b mission 12
0c mission 13
0d mission 14
oe mission 15
0f mission 16
10 mission 17
11 mission 18

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 10, by Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I got to a replace area and say I want to goto mission 5. So do I put 03F3 04? Remember I know nothing about hex.

Last edited by Jeff on 2004-07-06, 13:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok so I went to the goto and put in the offset 03f3 now I am at a location where it has 000003F0 00 00 00 00 On that last 00 is that where I put 04? By the way the hex program I am using is Cygnus.

Reply 9 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, I would strongly recommend you to stay away from any hex editing and to try to look for some program doing it (save game editor). The truth is, that this is for more experienced people (no offence meant). It is like when we tell newbies to stay away from compiling CVS (they would just get confused). There are just things which should not be done by newbies!
If you still want to go on with this I would recommend you to get comfortable with hex editing.

The mentioned changes could be perhaps for another version of game ... I have no idea why it does not work and I do not have the game.

Mirek