VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which method do you guys prefer to play old games, mount in Daemon or in CD format?

Reply 1 of 7, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer disc images, as they're more convenient, plus my laptop no longer has an optical drive (though my desktop still has) because I swapped the DVD drive out for a second hard drive.

Mind you, I always buy the GOG version of a game I want, if it's on GOG.COM, as their total lack of DRM is a policy I heartily endorse, and offhand I can't remember many of their games containing disc images (I think Carmageddon and The Splat Pack do).

Reply 3 of 7, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ISO mounting for me, unless you get a title that refuses to work that way and wont even start from a physical CD if daemon is present.

Also use them for playing with various OS in a VM which takes up far less space that a room full of machines with random retro operating systems installed on them (but not as much fun).

Reply 5 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Daemon tools for games that work with that. I just had to burn Tiberian Sun to CDs yesterday because that game wouldn't work with DT. I used to burn most of the games, but you just end up with a huge spindle of CD-R disks that you can't possibly keep track of. Not to mention that it takes more time.

However, my favourite process is with floppy-based games. I just install them on a modern machine using Boxer (a DOSBox frontend for OS X) and then transfer the installation folder to my 486 over FTP. I sometimes even prefer floppy-based games to their CD rereleases for that reason.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 7, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The last version with the fast, classic interface and no spyware or useless junk unrelated to CD mounting 😎

I tried WinCDEmu for a change, but it couldn't handle RedBook audio for "mixed" CD's like Blood or Quake, so I quickly went back to what's always worked best for me.

Attachments

• dt.png
    Filename
    dt.png
    File size
    6.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception