VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 85, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

For international disputes, the BBB will be pretty useless since it doesn't have jurisdiction outside the USA (it might work out for the Paypal side of the story).

Please do your homework before you post. It has nothing to do with being international. Both eBay and PayPal are american companies. It all depends on their decisions only.

Reply 61 of 85, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

For international disputes, the BBB will be pretty useless since it doesn't have jurisdiction outside the USA (it might work out for the Paypal side of the story).

Please do your homework before you post. It has nothing to do with being international. Both eBay and PayPal are american companies. It all depends on their decisions only.

Reading is an art (see bolded part, which was in my original post 😐 ). Obviously it will work for Paypal/Ebay. I was talking about the seller, who is in France, which as you surely know is not part of the USA.

Reply 62 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my past experience, the BBB only facilitates communication by acting as a middle man between the disputing parties. What does the BBB have power to do?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 63 of 85, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Reading is an art (see bolded part, which was in my original post 😐 ). Obviously it will work for Paypal/Ebay. I was talking about the seller, who is in France, which as you surely know is not part of the USA.

It doesn't matter where he lives. He waived all his rights as soon as he started selling on eBay and clicked the "I agree to terms button."

Reply 64 of 85, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

It doesn't matter where he lives. He waived all his rights as soon as he started selling on eBay and clicked the "I agree to terms button."

Actually, it does, because not everything in companies' Terms and Conditions is valid in every country in the world. There's quite a lot of stuff in T&Cs of American companies that is void in Europe due to our consumer protection and privacy laws (thankfully 😀 ).

That said, selling a defective item for 1500 dollars without telling the customer is mail fraud on both sides of the pond. But US cops will have to go through French police to get something done about it.

Reply 65 of 85, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

[Actually, it does, because not everything in companies' Terms and Conditions is valid in every country in the world. There's quite a lot of stuff in T&Cs of American companies that is void in Europe due to our consumer protection and privacy laws (thankfully 😀 ).

That said, selling a defective item for 1500 dollars without telling the customer is mail fraud on both sides of the pond. But US cops will have to go through French police to get something done about it.

You really don't get it, do you? Are we on the same page? You are 100% covered with money back guarantee for a reason. Check this out. Buyer doesn't even have to go through all of that. eBay and Paypal owe him money. How they hangle this situation shouldn't be his problem.
https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-ba … -guarantee.html

Reply 67 of 85, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Hi Artex. Heads up, tracking indicates that the package is out for delivery today (Saturday).

Received! Had a 7 year old birthday party tonight but will open it up tomorrow!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 68 of 85, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

[Actually, it does, because not everything in companies' Terms and Conditions is valid in every country in the world. There's quite a lot of stuff in T&Cs of American companies that is void in Europe due to our consumer protection and privacy laws (thankfully 😀 ).

You really don't get it, do you? Are we on the same page?

Gosh, would you think so? 🙄

"I was talking about the seller, who is in France, which as you surely know is not part of the USA."

"That said, selling a defective item for 1500 dollars without telling the customer is mail fraud on both sides of the pond. But US cops will have to go through French police to get something done about it."

You are 100% covered with money back guarantee for a reason. Check this out. Buyer doesn't even have to go through all of that. eBay and Paypal owe him money. How they hangle this situation shouldn't be his problem.
https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-ba … -guarantee.html

Thank you very much, I am now enlightened.

(was that condescending enough for you, or can you better me again, like in each of your earlier replies? 😜 )

Reply 69 of 85, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

(was that condescending enough for you, or can you better me again, like in each of your earlier replies? 😜 )

You can't win this one mate, Dreamer can keep up the condescension and inexplicable aggression all day long 😵

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 70 of 85, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

"I was talking about the seller, who is in France, which as you surely know is not part of the USA."

"That said, selling a defective item for 1500 dollars without telling the customer is mail fraud on both sides of the pond. But US cops will have to go through French police to get something done about it."

You don't understand my point. The point is the BBB will go after Paypal and that's all that matters. Nobody(a buyer in this case) gives a crap where the buyer lives because this is going to be eBay's and Paypal's headache only.

Reply 71 of 85, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

You don't understand my point. The point is the BBB will go after Paypal and that's all that matters. Nobody(a buyer in this case) gives a crap where the buyer lives because this is going to be eBay's and Paypal's headache only.

bbb does not go after anyone, they're just a place to get in touch with the higher ups in a company.

Reply 72 of 85, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gents - lets stop the back and forth. I filed a case with the BBB and my credit card company. So far my cc company has been (much) more responsive and the case is underway. I'll keep everyone posted on where this ends up.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 74 of 85, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The chip has been "repaired" since purchased, hasn't it? Wouldn't that complicate things a bit?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 75 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The chip had also been ""repaired"" before purchase. I would think that would complicate things the most - it was a deceptive listing. If you take a look at that pin which is all gunked up with solder. Notice how thick and tall the base of the original soldered pin is. It looks as if the previous owner took a pin off of a PGA socket and soldered it on, fat base and all. Its also evident that the soldered pin is longer overall because of this.

For your viewing convenience (zoom in),

Fat_Base.jpg
Filename
Fat_Base.jpg
File size
108.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 76 of 85, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the thread revival but I wanted to share some good news (for once!). After getting nowhere with PayPal/BBB after at least 4 different escalations, I decided to file a dispute with my credit card company. I did so back in February and a few weeks ago after hearing absolutely nothing for months, I finally received a letter (via USPS) that the claim/dispute was denied due to "lack of evidence" and that further investigation "by an expert" was required. In addition, if I chose to continue the case I would have to submit evidence by mailing the item(s) to some other facility (?!?!). I was really beside myself at this point.. More months of wasted time and energy.

In the meantime, I contacted the BBB and asked that the PayPal case be reopened on their side and I received a notice from PayPal (through the BBB) that I could contact PayPal's Office of Executive Escalations. This letter basically stated that I was correct and that PayPal made a mistake, and PayPal would essentially wait for my CC company to make a decision. If my CC company denied my case, then PayPal would reimburse me for the full amount. On this note was a particular contact, direct phone number, and email address.

I immediately emailed and let this PayPal contact know my CC company denied my claim and I had proof (in a PDF) which I also submitted via email. At the same time I called the PayPal contact but it immediately went right to voicemail. I tried calling many times over the next few weeks but always had the same result - directly to voicemail. I also emailed several more times and never got a response within a 3 week period. I reached back out to the BBB and asked them to escalate once more and after doing so... I FINALLY received a notification that I was going to be reimbursed in full, and received the full amount I paid for the entire lot right back into my PayPal account.

Case closed. PayPal sucks.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 77 of 85, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
Sorry for the thread revival but I wanted to share some good news (for once!). After getting nowhere with PayPal/BBB after at l […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the thread revival but I wanted to share some good news (for once!). After getting nowhere with PayPal/BBB after at least 4 different escalations, I decided to file a dispute with my credit card company. I did so back in February and a few weeks ago after hearing absolutely nothing for months, I finally received a letter (via USPS) that the claim/dispute was denied due to "lack of evidence" and that further investigation "by an expert" was required. In addition, if I chose to continue the case I would have to submit evidence by mailing the item(s) to some other facility (?!?!). I was really beside myself at this point.. More months of wasted time and energy.

In the meantime, I contacted the BBB and asked that the PayPal case be reopened on their side and I received a notice from PayPal (through the BBB) that I could contact PayPal's Office of Executive Escalations. This letter basically stated that I was correct and that PayPal made a mistake, and PayPal would essentially wait for my CC company to make a decision. If my CC company denied my case, then PayPal would reimburse me for the full amount. On this note was a particular contact, direct phone number, and email address.

I immediately emailed and let this PayPal contact know my CC company denied my claim and I had proof (in a PDF) which I also submitted via email. At the same time I called the PayPal contact but it immediately went right to voicemail. I tried calling many times over the next few weeks but always had the same result - directly to voicemail. I also emailed several more times and never got a response within a 3 week period. I reached back out to the BBB and asked them to escalate once more and after doing so... I FINALLY received a notification that I was going to be reimbursed in full, and received the full amount I paid for the entire lot right back into my PayPal account.

Case closed. PayPal sucks.

Fortune favours the persistent... good job!

Not that I am a Paypal advocate... but it would be good if they confiscated the money out of the French guy, as ultimately... he was the dishonest party... and should be penalised.

I would like to see his face then.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 78 of 85, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really glad to see it finally turned out well for you.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK