VOGONS

Common searches

SANITARIUM...

Topic actions

First post, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps one of the most enjoyable games that I have played in a long while, and it cost under $10.00 to boot! I just happened by my local BEST BUY store to check out the latest releases,(hoping to find ONE that will play on my 'antiquated' system), and I came across SANITARIUM...by ASC Games (developer---Dreamforge...1998).

What a great game. Aside from a few funky glitches, (quirky controls and somewhat obscure transitions), it is an enjoyable game that will excite, haunt, and mystify even the most jaded adventure gamer. Totally off the wall and sure to surprise, with solvable puzzles and outrageous characters. Not to be missed!

As you can probably tell, I'm easily amused. (Actually, it's just that I'm not exactly in a position to smoke thousands of dinars for a new box, so I muddle through with the leftovers found in the bargain bin. You know, the games that will actually work on my PIII 450.

Happy gaming 😁

Reply 1 of 7, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, Sanitarium is definitely one of the best adventure games ever made. And quirky controls? Be glad that you do not have a new computer so you cannot discover in Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon, what quirky controls means. 😉

Reply 3 of 7, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

....Thanks for the heads up on BS3. I'll tell you, I am bored shitless with the latest onslaught of adventure games.

They all seem to be hung-up with using the latest and greatest technology, and have comfortably set aside any use of imagination or creativity. They've gone Hollywood. you know, all glitz and flash, no substance.Oh, how I miss the good old days of creative and logical adventure games.

I'm currently playing RHEM, what a trip. I had to bail on Thorgal's Quest because I'm experiencing some sort of glitch when i get to the puzzle at the rock (fire in the path).

Perhaps somebody out there can explain to me why I need a Pentium IV or Athlon processor of 3 Gigs. to play an adventure game. Let alone 512Megs of RAM. I understand the need for speed and sizable RAM for shooter games, but jeez, c'mon guys, what's the deal with such requirements for adventure games?

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but I thought the best part of adventure games was in the solving of the puzzles, not how many scroties I can whack with my lazer dick! 😒 😒 😒 😒 😒

Reply 4 of 7, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yanker2112 wrote:

I'll tell you, I am bored shitless with the latest onslaught of adventure games.

I too hate "action adventures" and "Hollywood style" (BS3 disappointed me very much, especially because I liked BS1 and BS2 and had rather high expectations), but fortunately the good, decent adventure games are still produced from time to time. The demo of The Case of the Silver Earring I installed yesterday seems to me promising and I am currently playing The Black Mirror and quite enjoying it. You mentioned RHEM (that I did not play) and it is also not too old game.

yanker2112 wrote:

Perhaps somebody out there can explain to me why I need a Pentium IV or Athlon processor of 3 Gigs. to play an adventure game. Let alone 512Megs of RAM. I understand the need for speed and sizable RAM for shooter games, but jeez, c'mon guys, what's the deal with such requirements for adventure games?

Most adventure games still have lower demands than shooters etc. Yes, the demands are increasing, but I do not think that the game that uses the latest technology and has high system demands must be generally bad (only in terms of your wallet 😀 ). Stunning visuals are not necessary (unlike the good story and puzzles), but they cannot spoil the game and can contribute to overall gaming experience. By "Hollywood style" I mean emphasis on the form only and complete overlooking of the substance, but if there is a good essence in the game, some glitter on the surface is no harm. Of course, it is very worth to look for and play the old adventure gems, but I would not automatically trash all new titles.

Reply 5 of 7, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...A few others you may want to consider:
DARK FALL (spooky!)
A WEEKEND IN CAPRI
TRAITOR'S GATE 1 (excellent game!)
and of course,
RIVEN and MYST EXILE(all around best adventure game, ever!)

Happy gaming!!!! 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still anxiously awaiting the new adventure Farenheit. It is looking promising, although since the U.S/Canadian versions are censored I will have to use other methods. 😢