Bought these (retro) software/OS today

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 247, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-12-06, 06:19:

I never played this, it played pretty bad on my stock Amiga 500 at the time. I was more a Knights of the Sky guy 😀

Those were the times 😀
It was a hard game, it took me some time to learn how to play it. Stalling all the time... I loved F-19 and similar because it was harder to stall.
I was a kid, fond memories 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 241 of 247, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2023-12-06, 13:13:
Those were the times :) It was a hard game, it took me some time to learn how to play it. Stalling all the time... I loved F-19 […]
Show full quote

I never played this, it played pretty bad on my stock Amiga 500 at the time. I was more a Knights of the Sky guy 😀

Those were the times 😀
It was a hard game, it took me some time to learn how to play it. Stalling all the time... I loved F-19 and similar because it was harder to stall.

I don't have many memories of playing F-19 but I played the hell out of F-15 II 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 242 of 247, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-12-07, 10:08:
Those were the times :) It was a hard game, it took me some time to learn how to play it. Stalling all the time... I loved F-19 […]
Show full quote

Those were the times 😀

I don't have many memories of playing F-19 but I played the hell out of F-15 II 😀

It was an era. If you played one of those newer F-XX simulators you had lots of fun and frustration 🤣
I'm no pundit on air simulations but planes and helicopters had their fair share of importance back then.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 243 of 247, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2023-12-07, 14:14:

Those were the times 😀

It was an era. If you played one of those newer F-XX simulators you had lots of fun and frustration 🤣
I'm no pundit on air simulations but planes and helicopters had their fair share of importance back then.

I dunno if it was the long boring bits, or that I couldn't get uninterrupted blocks of time to play a full mission, but I wanted to play those more than I actually did. Not so much a problem if you've got multiple entertainments on tap these days, and ways to pause.

Anyway, managed a full mission maybe a couple of times on F-15 Strike Eagle on the ZX Speccy and a couple on F-16 combat pilot on the Amiga. It was Elite and Frontier where I managed to get my dogfighting itch scratched.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 244 of 247, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-12-07, 19:01:
Nexxen wrote on 2023-12-07, 14:14:

I dunno if it was the long boring bits, or that I couldn't get uninterrupted blocks of time to play a full mission, but I wanted to play those more than I actually did. Not so much a problem if you've got multiple entertainments on tap these days, and ways to pause.

Anyway, managed a full mission maybe a couple of times on F-15 Strike Eagle on the ZX Speccy and a couple on F-16 combat pilot on the Amiga. It was Elite and Frontier where I managed to get my dogfighting itch scratched.

I wanted to like Elite and Frontier; the premise was amazing but the former looked like a C64 game and the latter ran like absolute ASS on my A500. The only space sim (and I use the term loosely here) from that era that I enjoyed was EPIC. Pretty great game with both space and atmosphere missions where you basically invade an alien world and destroy them 😁

I also completely missed out on the Wing Commander series due to still being on an Amiga during the 386 days. By the time I switched over to PC with a 486-33, X-Wing was already out and Wing Commander never again got relevant for me. I tried my hand at the original I & II a few times under emulation and I find them insufferable.. That said, I am really curious about III & IV, so I may give them a go yet.

With all that said, nothing will (probably) ever top Freespace 2 as the MOST AMAZING SPACE SIM EVER MADE for me.. That game, the feels.. Sooo good...

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 246 of 247, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congrats..

.. technically though an upgrade edition cannot be a sole legit copy because you need a legit copy of the prior version to upgrade from.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 247 of 247, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-24, 13:39:

Congrats..

.. technically though an upgrade edition cannot be a sole legit copy because you need a legit copy of the prior version to upgrade from.

I do have loose floppies for DOS 6.22/Win3.1. So, technically, it's totally legit. I'll also continue to use my OEM CD version of OSR2 when I can.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png