Common searches

Bought these (retro) software/OS today

Topic actions

First post, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since there was never a post about purchasing retro software or OS on here, I might as well start one.

I purchased a pristine copy of Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux from 1994 on vcfed.org for $25 (offered $20 + $5 S&H).

Seller's pictures:

akira_ttt2004-img600x450-1489561138oyflah23248.jpg

akira_ttt2004-img600x450-1489561139ystydg23248.jpg

akira_ttt2004-img600x450-1489561139g8fxye23248.jpg

Comes with boot diskette(s), and 2 CDs. Requires a 386 with 4MB or higher, CD-ROM drive, floppy drive (as always), mouse and keyboard, video card, and HDD (if you want to install the OS or optional).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1 of 247, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As someone that likes buying retro software, I like this idea for a topic. 😀

These weren't bought today, but arrived here within the last week or so:

1QqxpEom.jpg

I seem to have grown into collecting retro development tools for whatever reason, heh. Turbo Pascal and Watcom both were sealed still, but I don't buy things to sit on a display case forever so I promptly opened them both up.

Unfortunately 3/4 of the Turbo Pascal disks didn't work anymore. 🙁 This is actually starting to steer me away from buying software that comes on disk now... I bought a complete-in-box copy of Doom (v1.666) a few months ago and all of the disks also had problems (and that was really annoying to me, as I cannot find disk images of the v1.666 release... though a 1.2 -> 1.666 patch is available, but still, it bugs me 😜 ).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 2 of 247, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gered wrote:

Same 😀

I did buy such related media but I ended up replying to the retro-hardware thread.

Though since I already kinda have all the OS's I wanted and not actively looking anymore, chances are slim I'll contribute here on any kind of regular basis.
I did get a Vista install disk (with license code) last year and if iirc it was the 32-bit version, but that's more an older OS.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 247, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are from the hoarders house. I might have posted some of these in the hardware thread, but it seems more apppropriate to post them here too.

[attachment=2]soft1.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]soft2.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]soft3.JPG[/attachment]

Attachments

• soft3.JPG
    Filename
    soft3.JPG
    File size
    315.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • soft2.JPG
    Filename
    soft2.JPG
    File size
    194.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • soft1.JPG
    Filename
    soft1.JPG
    File size
    277.31 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 247, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool idea for a thread!
Here are the two oldest Linux distribs I have, Unifix Linux 1.5 from 1994 and Red Hat 3.0.3 from 1996

unifix15.JPG
Filename
unifix15.JPG
File size
73.3 KiB
Views
File license
unifix15-page1.JPG
Filename
unifix15-page1.JPG
File size
133.62 KiB
Views
File license
redhat303.JPG
Filename
redhat303.JPG
File size
117.25 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 6 of 247, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a NOS sealed copy of MS-DOS 6 Upgrade. This only requires you to have a working DOS boot disk to install, right?

Attachments

• s-l16002.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16002.jpg
    File size
    259.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Seller's picture of the MS-DOS sealed copy
    File license

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 9 of 247, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, I've got an MS-DOS 6.0 upgrade box with 5.25" floppies. Sadly it's not sealed.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 247, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't get this "today" but a couple months ago. It's virtually mint. Only one packet of floppies have even been opened, and that's set 4 of the Bonus Pack for some reason?? Even the box itself is a tank; big, heavy & structured, and everything fits in perfectly without an iota of wiggle room. Proper oldschool IBM packaging.

os21.jpg
Filename
os21.jpg
File size
149.92 KiB
Views
File license
os22.jpg
Filename
os22.jpg
File size
358.78 KiB
Views
File license
os23.jpg
Filename
os23.jpg
File size
120.03 KiB
Views
File license
os24.jpg
Filename
os24.jpg
File size
220.89 KiB
Views
File license
os27.jpg
Filename
os27.jpg
File size
204.62 KiB
Views
File license

To be honest I'd love for this to find new a home with someone who'd appreciate it, but no-one over on VCF wants to offer me any money for it and I just don't have much time or energy to spend packaging up & shipping off free items right now. So it sits in my closet for the time being... 🙁

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 11 of 247, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, OS/2 Warp 3. I ran OS/2 Warp 4 on my Socket 7 system years ago. Before IBM made their own OS, Microsoft made OS/2 for IBM back in the 1980's, and stopped because Microsoft wanted to make their own OS, known as Windows (monopolizing at their finest).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12 of 247, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:
As someone that likes buying retro software, I like this idea for a topic. :) […]
Show full quote

These weren't bought today, but arrived here within the last week or so:

1QqxpEom.jpg

I seem to have grown into collecting retro development tools for whatever reason, heh. Turbo Pascal and Watcom both were sealed still, but I don't buy things to sit on a display case forever so I promptly opened them both up.

Unfortunately 3/4 of the Turbo Pascal disks didn't work anymore. 🙁 This is actually starting to steer me away from buying software that comes on disk now... I bought a complete-in-box copy of Doom (v1.666) a few months ago and all of the disks also had problems (and that was really annoying to me, as I cannot find disk images of the v1.666 release... though a 1.2 -> 1.666 patch is available, but still, it bugs me 😜 ).

you got pm.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 13 of 247, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah hey, and why not post these too, while I'm in the process of installing one of them on the new G4 hotness? Here's my little collection of every boxed OS/X worth owning.

alltheosx.jpg
Filename
alltheosx.jpg
File size
457.03 KiB
Views
File license

Interesting how much sparser the packaging got over time. Tiger (10.4) is in a big box, Leopard (10.5) is in a CD-size box with an elaborate unfolding insert, a thick manual, and holographic artwork, and Snow Leopard (10.6) is in a flimsy white crushable cardboard packet with clip-art. The 'grey discs' are non-retail machine-specific installers of 10.6.4 (iMac) and 9.2.2 (PowerMac G4.)

I'm still missing the holy grail of 'grey discs', an install set of Tiger for x86 machines (all big box/retail Tiger versions are PowerPC only.) They're hard to find but they do exist.

Incidentally my big box Tiger is still sealed(!) Not that I'd have any qualms about opening & using it. I'm installing Leopard on the G4 for now though.

tigerworks.jpg
Filename
tigerworks.jpg
File size
407.11 KiB
Views
File license

I wish they'd done a physical media release of Mountain Lion (10.8 ), my favorite version for x86_64 systems, but it was all digital-only by then. Everything afterwards went downhill. Mavericks is Mountain Lion with added bloat & bugs, Yosimite was the Herald of the Dark Times, and 10.11-10.13+ are the Dark Times. Ah well.

(At present I don't even have a downloaded installer of Moutain Lion if I ever want to revert my Macbook, which is running Mavericks. Should sort that out before every way to get it falls off the internet.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 14 of 247, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I'm installing Leopard on the G4 for now though.

How? I though the last OSX to support G4 is 10.4.11 (which is what I have on my G4 733Mhz).

Oh I see, you must have a 867Mhz+ one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Leopar … em_requirements

I personally still would not install 10.5 on a G4. It stretches the poor G4 and slows down the entire system.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 15 of 247, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually I have a Sawtooth G4/400 AGP with a dual 1.7GHz upgrade board & and 2GB SDRAM. There's a build thread in system specs. Runs great. 😀

I might put Tiger on another HDD for OS9 compatibility... or just OS9. But enjoying it w/Leopard at the moment.

Reply 17 of 247, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These weren't bought today, but they are my most recent software purchase:

IMG_0261.JPG
Filename
IMG_0261.JPG
File size
651.07 KiB
Views
File license

This is the set of software (excluding driver and OEM tools discs) that came with the Dell Dimension 4600 that I bought a few weeks ago as shown in one of my posts on the retro hardware thread.

Reply 18 of 247, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FYI, you can hack Leopard onto slower G4 systems - I have it on my Digital Audio 733, by using some open firmware commands. Worked fine as far as I could tell, although mostly I use it for late OS 9 games and non Apple OS.

I'm impressed someone has a floppy copy of Warp 3 red spine; by that time OS/2 was mostly on CD. It was painful enough installing 2.1 from floppy..

Reply 19 of 247, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone have any beta disks or other more uncommon Windows install disks?

I'd need to get my camera out and start making some pics to add for here 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!