Common searches

Bought these (retro) software/OS today

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 247, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nothing unordinary, but you can never have enough Windows 98.. Here's a Turkish OEM Windows 98 in original shrinkwrap.

Windows_98_Vestel_Asteo.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21 of 247, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a copy of QuickBASIC 4.5 recently.

LnnhiGNm.jpg?1

This is actually my second copy of it, but the first one I got some months back was only the disks. Since all the other older development tools I've bought have been complete-in-box (not something I was striving for, but just kind of happened that way), I decided I wanted a complete copy of QB 4.5 too. QuickBASIC is definitely the most nostalgic to me. I first self-taught myself how to program with it, starting in 1995, and continued using it through to about 2002/2003 or so. I definitely owe my current career as a software developer to all the time I spent playing around with QB. I also spent a lot of time around the online QBasic community too in those days (dunno if anyone else on Vogons was a part of that community, anyway I used the nickname "Fling-master" on those forums).

Anyway, glad to have it. 😀

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 22 of 247, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is software-related in a way, so I figured it should belong in this thread. I spotted a couple gems on yesterday's thrift store visit.

IMG_1894.JPG
Filename
IMG_1894.JPG
File size
599.27 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I found a 5.25" copy of PC Disk Quarterly Basic BASIC: An Introduction and a box of Maxell 5.25" 1.2MB (HD) floppies for roughly $7 altogether. The Maxell 5.25" floppy container contains 14 5.25" HD floppies from the pack as well as 5 3.5" 1.44MB (HD) floppies of varying brands, I'll get around to checking and formatting the 3.5" disks, but the 5.25" ones will have to wait until I manage to score a 5.25" 1.2MB floppy drive for my Pentium build. I don't even have a 5.25" drive yet, but it doesn't hurt to prepare early for the day where I actually get one.

Reply 23 of 247, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a brand new sealed copy of The Incredible Machine 3 from eBay, as well as a used copy of the PC Game Diggers on Amazon. The first showed up on ebay after months of waiting for a boxed copy, so I jumped on it. The box was shrinkwrapped, but had some wrinkling underneath, so I decided to open it, probably making serious collectors cringe in the process.

tim3diggers.jpg
tim3.jpg

Both are excellent games I've wanted in my collection for a long time.

Haven't been able to figure out how to get the CD Audio tracks working in Diggers yet. Interestingly it is version 1.94, newer than the 1.5 version on web archive.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 24 of 247, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couple neat things from my office stash. Liqmat's Tempra Pro postings reminded me that I had these.

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
133.25 KiB
Views
File license

The Integraph binder was empty, I wish I had the original contents but it's still cool. It's full of synthesizer manuals now. Mathematica, on the other hand, well, see the next couple posts... 😉

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25 of 247, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let's bust open that copy of Mathematica:

11.jpg
Filename
11.jpg
File size
220.58 KiB
Views
File license

^^ Everything that was in the box. It looks like there were two versions crammed in there, the original 1.2 for 68k Mac on floppies (seemingly complete), and 3.0 for a bunch of platforms on CD-ROM, and its manual.

12.jpg
Filename
12.jpg
File size
218.92 KiB
Views
File license

I love this. We’ve got Win 95/NT, Mac 68K, Mac PowerPC, SunOS, Solaris (probably Sparc), HP-UX, SGI (MIPS, presumably), Linux, and IBM RISC (RS/6000?) all crammed on the same disc. Remember when multi-platform actually meant multi-platform?

13.jpg
Filename
13.jpg
File size
338.43 KiB
Views
File license

And you could order a T-shirt! I like that stellated icosahedron, but the Bessel function is pure class. Eight bucks each plus five for shipping is a smoking deal too. I wonder what they’d do if I sent this in?

14.jpg
Filename
14.jpg
File size
292.68 KiB
Views
File license

Here’s the media for version 1.2. Unfortunately I don’t have anything that can read these 800k DD floppies. The disks look pristine though.

15.jpg
Filename
15.jpg
File size
191.93 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 26 of 247, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
16.jpg
Filename
16.jpg
File size
303.85 KiB
Views
File license

Lots of documentation as befitting a professional product. These are all for 1.2.

17.jpg
Filename
17.jpg
File size
213.88 KiB
Views
File license

Not much to say about these but I do love the artwork, especially on the “Summary for Macintosh Experts” and the Setting Up guide. Yes, I actually would have ordered those T-shirts.

18.jpg
Filename
18.jpg
File size
249.39 KiB
Views
File license
19.jpg
Filename
19.jpg
File size
199.34 KiB
Views
File license

Honestly, this sticky note I found in the Setting Up booklet is the only sign this software’s ever been used.

20.jpg
Filename
20.jpg
File size
123.79 KiB
Views
File license

They want 4MB and an FPU? Do I look like I own a money printing machine?? I wonder what the software itself cost new.

That’s it for now... I have some more stuff like this if you guys are interested. I might try to install this on something, at least the 3.0 version on CD since it’d be rude not to. I use number crunching software like this every day (mostly Octave) so it would be interesting to poke around with. Maybe I can even do some work with it and annoy my coworkers. 😀

Reply 27 of 247, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My copy of TIM 3 got a friend! xjas very kindly gave me his boxed copy of The (Even More) Incredible Machine while he was visiting Vancouver from the Island for a Chipmusic gig (which also happened to be a lot of fun!). Thanks again, it will be displayed proudly 😉
tim_emc.jpg

Follow me on twitter

Reply 28 of 247, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to beat the AU government's upcoming tax on everything, bought a couple of OSes from the US, was lucky to get them at a reasonable price too.

2dh71gj.jpg

Reply 30 of 247, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

How much did W2K cost? I'm hoping to get one as well..

This one was $60, but I paid a bit extra as it's a special edition. Good price seems to be around $40 for a boxed full version, or $25 for a boxed upgrade version.

Reply 32 of 247, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Qjimbo - looks good dude, hope you have fun with it! 😀 I like how the orange/blue schemes are (sort of) reversed between the two boxes.

Today I stumbled on two more sealed boxes of 720k DS/DD 3.5" disks in a second hand shop. WTF. I never see these things anywhere anymore and then suddenly I luck into three NOS boxes in the span of a few weeks. Well, I certainly wasn't going to leave them there.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
241.3 KiB
Views
File license

I'll keep these guys sealed forever, they can go on my collection display shelf and look pretty, and maybe appreciate in value & make me big bucks in 50 years. A great investment! 😀

...Jesus christ no, of course I opened them. DIE SHRINKWRAP DIE.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
286.21 KiB
Views
File license
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
252.52 KiB
Views
File license

I was a bit surprised to get two different colors, there's no indication of that on the outside of the box. Even the part numbers & UPCs are the same. These things spent 25 years in their plastic suits and nobody ever knew one pack was black and one was white. This is the kind of shocking discovery you only get to make if you open your shit.

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
210.65 KiB
Views
File license
5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
266.9 KiB
Views
File license

Apparently these have a "Super Electron Beam binder." Wonder if that actually meant or did anything? I know TDK magnetic tape stock is supposedly pretty good.

I stuck one of the black ones in my LS120 drive and it seems to work fine. They all look pretty pristine, so knock on wood.

Reply 33 of 247, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
@Qjimbo - looks good dude, hope you have fun with it! :) I like how the orange/blue schemes are (sort of) reversed between the t […]
Show full quote

@Qjimbo - looks good dude, hope you have fun with it! 😀 I like how the orange/blue schemes are (sort of) reversed between the two boxes.

Today I stumbled on two more sealed boxes of 720k DS/DD 3.5" disks in a second hand shop. WTF. I never see these things anywhere anymore and then suddenly I luck into three NOS boxes in the span of a few weeks. Well, I certainly wasn't going to leave them there.

1.jpg

I'll keep these guys sealed forever, they can go on my collection display shelf and look pretty, and maybe appreciate in value & make me big bucks in 50 years. A great investment! 😀

...Jesus christ no, of course I opened them. DIE SHRINKWRAP DIE.

2.jpg
3.jpg

I was a bit surprised to get two different colors, there's no indication of that on the outside of the box. Even the part numbers & UPCs are the same. These things spent 25 years in their plastic suits and nobody ever knew one pack was black and one was white. This is the kind of shocking discovery you only get to make if you open your shit.

4.jpg
5.jpg

Apparently these have a "Super Electron Beam binder." Wonder if that actually meant or did anything? I know TDK magnetic tape stock is supposedly pretty good.

I stuck one of the black ones in my LS120 drive and it seems to work fine. They all look pretty pristine, so knock on wood.

In 50 years everyone will be using a GOTEK or equivalent floppy emulator and most original media will have flaked to death (or got moldy). I suspect real hardware will be something people collect and put on display while using emulators on new machine for actual gaming or work so no need for any disks outside of images.

I keep a bunch of shrinkwrapped boxed floppies on the shelf mostly because I have new bulk media disks for use. Even back in the day I would mail order bulk disks in the 100's because it was cheaper (same with CDR when it came out). People are used to spindles of CD/DVD/BR disks now but they were sold in jewel cases individually or 5 packs for a long time because of cost.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 34 of 247, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Couple neat things from my office stash. Liqmat's Tempra Pro postings reminded me that I had these.

01.jpg

The Integraph binder was empty, I wish I had the original contents but it's still cool. It's full of synthesizer manuals now. Mathematica, on the other hand, well, see the next couple posts... 😉

I have boxed copies of Mathematica and Mathcad for 68K macs (think PC as well for Mathcad). Finding old scientific/cad software can be hard these days since people only really cared about games or simple office apps for the home and businesses tossed all their old apps over the years. The manuals for that old software were pretty good.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 36 of 247, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was going to post about this last week, but I forgot, so I'm posting this now.

I managed to find a Windows 95 OSR2.1 installation CD on eBay. This didn't come with a product key, but since I have a few Windows 95/NT 4.0 OEM COAs which should work with this, it's no big deal.

IMG_2073.JPG
Filename
IMG_2073.JPG
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 37 of 247, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just keep lucking out at the thrift shops lately. When was the last time you saw a boxed, retail BASIC interpreter & compiler?

CameraZOOM-20181016215732407.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181016215732407.jpg
File size
265.81 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20181016215951921.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181016215951921.jpg
File size
395.01 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20181016220122722.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181016220122722.jpg
File size
334.13 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20181016220149580.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181016220149580.jpg
File size
179.75 KiB
Views
File license

Pretty sure these are complete too, and in great shape, as can be seen. Those big weighty manuals are a nice touch. I don't even have an ST but I couldn't leave these there. 😜

The shop had stickered ten bucks on each box, but I successfully argued that they were two pieces of the same goddamn product, and what the crap were they doing?? so they gave them both to me for ten. Win.

Reply 38 of 247, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally own a copy of Windows 2000 (albeit the Server version; but still..)

PC-Windows-2000-Server.jpg

Time to install it on a Dual Socket 370 Coppermine?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 39 of 247, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
Finally own a copy of Windows 2000 (albeit the Server version; but still..) […]
Show full quote

Finally own a copy of Windows 2000 (albeit the Server version; but still..)

PC-Windows-2000-Server.jpg

Time to install it on a Dual Socket 370 Coppermine?

Nice. I only have the pro version iirc. And a beta3 version I think?
Afaik, basically all versions of win2k support at least 2 CPUs.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!