Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:
Azarien wrote:

Last time I checked (and that was last year), Warsaw (Poland) radio was still transmitting at 225 kHz.

That's very interesting! How many people listen to that? I don't suppose normal tabletop radios have longwave, even in Poland... or do they?

I don't buy radios very often, but I think most of them don't have LW anymore. It's not unheard of, however.

There isn't really much point in listening Warsaw Radio on longwave while being in Poland, unless you really want to hear all that retro noise and static. I can tune to 225 kHz on my car radio, but the same station is also transmitting on FM with much better quality. On the other hand, longwave reception range is huge and I heard the AM frequency is popular among Polish truck drivers throughout Europe.

There is another use of this radio station: its frequency is very precise and stable, so it's a frequency standard. But I have no idea what are the practical uses of this.

Reply 21 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlaricD wrote:

depoliticizing post
It's interesting that what was once the "police band" is now part of the Extended AM band.
It was cool picking up a California AM station on an 81-year old radio.

Cool, speaking of AM bands (medium wave; from 526.5 kHz to 1606.5 kHz in Europe, 525 kHz to 1705 kHz in NA),
there's also a "museum's frequency" or "memorial frequency" planned.. At 500KHz (or 500KC/s if you're from UK ;) ), if I'm not mistaken.
It'll be maintained by radio amateurs, I believe. Not sure if it requires an SSB capable radio, though.

If it doesn't, someone could modify the coils inside the radio to get there.
If it does require SSB, a simple external beat frequency oscillator will do.

Here's more about it:
http://jproc.ca/radiostor/preserving_500khz.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/630-meter_band

Edit: Link added.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//