Common searches

The Reason For Vintage (again)

Topic actions

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had an epiphany the other day, and I think I may have finally stumbled upon the elusive Reason for why I do all this stuff with old computers and DOS.

I think maybe it all boils down to reductionism and minimalism. Here's how: in my mind, there's something very beautiful about reducing a computer to its essential components and then making each of those components only as complicated as necessary.

I don't know exactly why, but there's just something beautiful about that concept.

Perhaps uncoincidentally, this is also the internal impulse I put to use when designing things.

This theory also, conveniently, serves to explain my obsession with vintage cars, vintage cameras, vintage typewriters, vintage clocks - basically anything which is a comparative reduction and simplification of the equivalent modern-day device.

Thoughts, anyone?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 21, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should build a crystal radio receiver if you really want to get something down to the bare minimum.
You can even make an FM receiver, but need to be pretty close to a strong station to receive it. AM or FM, it's just like *magic* that it's powered by the very radio station it's tuned to.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 2 of 21, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlaricD wrote:

You should build a crystal radio receiver if you really want to get something down to the bare minimum.

I have 😀 Forgot to mention old radios!

Reply 3 of 21, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me it's kind of the opposite, actually.

IBM PC started as a motherboard that only had CPU/FPU sockets, RAM sockets, ISA slots and an AT keyboard connector, basically. Everything else needed to be a separate add-on card. Many functions of a modern PC started out as a separate card: disk/CD-ROM controllers, Gameport cards, 3D accelerators, MPEG decoders and so on.

Individual PC parts often started as a mess of chips and then got more and more integrated — compare early behemoth 386 boards to later tiny ones with soldered-on AMD 386DX40 chips. Or sound cards — think original Sound Blasters vs late Vibra with basically a single chip, AWE32 vs AWE64 and so on.

So to me PC started as something huge and complicated and got tinier and "simpler" with time — even if that means that individual chips got a lot more complicated.

This is probably the reason why I keep coming back to 486/VLB builds — kind of the last "fully disintegrated" generation, even though it's not the most practical platform for retrogaming. Most things are done by a separate card that you can tweak or upgrade to your liking. A lot of high-end cards are close to full-length, so "bigger" often means "better" — compare an AWE32 or a GUS to a small AdLib clone, or a typical Cirrus Logic VLB videocard to a low-profile Trident ISA card. Compare Tekram disk controllers that had their own RAM slots to cheap GoldStar multi I/O cards.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still think parts are simple (more so today than in 199x). It's just the usual OS is overboard with the bloat these days needing hundreds of 'services' etc... I don't have to keep a bag of jumpers with my PCs in ages or think about cache modules/chips or how to layout SCSI/IDE ribbons or *shudder* replacing AT PSUs...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 21, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I still think parts are simple (more so today than in 199x). It's just the usual OS is overboard with the bloat these days needing hundreds of 'services' etc... I don't have to keep a bag of jumpers with my PCs in ages or think about cache modules/chips or how to layout SCSI/IDE ribbons or *shudder* replacing AT PSUs...

The useless bloat on current OS is something that cannot be understated... it's a shame that instead of using the power of new hardware to move towards a more "instantaneous" experience we still have to deal with issues like loading times and useless stuff running in the background. I'd honestly prefer a more basic look and feel in trade for better performance.

Reply 6 of 21, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

making each of those components only as complicated as necessary.

I try and do this with everything in my life to some degree and it gets me in trouble sometimes - mostly with other people when I take it too far 😢

I throw household items out, remove extraneous components from household items, and generally try to "keep things simple". And I think this is what I love about my old computers - I can refine to my hearts content and it's of no consequence to anyone in the world but me.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote:
leileilol wrote:

The useless bloat on current OS is something that cannot be understated... it's a shame that instead of using the power of new hardware to move towards a more "instantaneous" experience we still have to deal with issues like loading times and useless stuff running in the background. I'd honestly prefer a more basic look and feel in trade for better performance.

If you look into a lot of that "useless stuff", it is not really all that useless. However, there is the problems of a lot of programs installing stuff like auto-updaters in the background as well as some having other junk auto-load when Windows starts up.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

I think maybe it all boils down to reductionism and minimalism. Here's how: in my mind, there's something very beautiful about reducing a computer to its essential components and then making each of those components only as complicated as necessary.

I don't know exactly why, but there's just something beautiful about that concept.

Two words: SET amp and single-driver loudspeakers. Well that's six, but you know what I mean.

Vintage computer hardware aren't always minimalistic, though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 21, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Simplicity is definitely why I like old cars. Not sure it's a factor in why I like old computers though.

TheMobRules wrote:

This is a gripe I always run into whenever I boot Linux. The GUIs that are "advanced" enough for me to find them usable are slow and won't even keep up with keyboard inputs.

Reply 11 of 21, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the things that I appreciate about the true-to-era machines (or close enough to era) is that I either had machines very much like these when I was a kid, or wanted them when I was a kid.

There's something about using a machine that was physically from the era you remember, vs emulating it. Don't get me wrong, emulation is awesome, and in most cases, a lot easier than breaking out the original machine and dealing with all the problems of compatibility/speed/and ugh drivers

My biggest regret is how much stuff I've thrown away or recycled over the years that would be worth a fortune now with today's eBay prices 🤣. As many here I've developed a little bit of a fever which I need to learn to tame. When you want machines from a bunch of different eras, it stops being such a cheap hobby

Reply 12 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:
AlaricD wrote:

Good luck! 😉 Medium wave transmitters were shut-down a while ago (in some parts of EU, I know at least). Long wave ist still alive, though.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 21, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Long wave still alive? Good Lord. In the USA, long wave went completely dead a long time ago, and medium wave has been kept sort of alive by talk radio (no music any more 😢 )

Our new FCC chairman has plans to "revitalize" the 530-1700 kHz band by moving all those stations to an extended portion of the FM band. Brilliant, isn't it? How wonderful. Thanks, Ajit. That'll get people to listen to AM.

What really needs to be done is open up the AM band to low power, local stations. Or, better yet, move forward with the "revitalization" plan and then allocate the 530-1700 kHz area for low power radio only, with automatic licensing and separation rules enforced by an independent board.

Reply 14 of 21, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Long wave still alive? Good Lord. In the USA, long wave went completely dead a long time ago, and medium wave has been kept sort of alive by talk radio

Last time I checked (and that was last year), Warsaw (Poland) radio was still transmitting at 225 kHz.

Reply 15 of 21, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:
AlaricD wrote:

Good luck! 😉 Medium wave transmitters were shut-down a while ago (in some parts of EU, I know at least). Long wave ist still alive, though.

With a differently-wound coil and the right air-gap variable capacitor, you can get the shortwave bands, which according to my 1937 GE F-107 radio, are still alive and well. In the USA, medium wave will probably never go away, it propagates well, and reaches those places out in the sticks where in between the talk radio that some can take or leave, they can get breaking news and weather information.

depoliticized post

Last edited by AlaricD on 2018-02-07, 21:36. Edited 1 time in total.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 16 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlaricD wrote:

With a differently-wound coil and the right air-gap variable capacitor, you can get the shortwave bands, which according to my 1937 GE F-107 radio, are still alive and well. In the USA, medium wave will probably never go away, otherwise Rush Limbaugh would never reach the country bumpkins not wise enough to ignore him.

Have you actually ever even listened to Rush or are you going off of things other people who don't listen to him say about him?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 21, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

depoliticizing post
It's interesting that what was once the "police band" is now part of the Extended AM band. It was cool picking up a California AM station on an 81-year old radio.

Let's see that iPad, Zune, or Zen Nomad last 81 years (one would think it SHOULD be likely to, I suppose, being solid state).

Last edited by AlaricD on 2018-02-07, 21:40. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19 of 21, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

MOD: Can we not politics? Thanks.

Thank you.

Azarien wrote:

Last time I checked (and that was last year), Warsaw (Poland) radio was still transmitting at 225 kHz.

That's very interesting! How many people listen to that? I don't suppose normal tabletop radios have longwave, even in Poland... or do they?

I love old radios. Nothing is more satisfying than working on those things... Especially the simple AM ones that use the All American Five circuit; they're like the Model A cars of radios. Very easy to work on and fix if you know anything about electronics.