User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just added two of the albums Flim and the BB's did:
New Pants (1990)
This is a Recording (1992)

Pretty good thanks for mentioning them. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 21 of 29, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I particularly dislike 90's "jazz", and I really hate Kenny G in particular. My favorite jazz genre remains funk, and best funk albums came in 1970s, like Herbie Hancock's Chameleon and Jiro Inagaki & His Soul Media's Head Rock.

Speaking of the 90's, I remember being disappointed by Candy Dulfer's Sax-A-Go-Go album. I bought it because I wanted Dufler's cover of Pick Up the Pieces, which IMO is more energetic than the original Average White Band's song. However, the rest of the songs are disappointing! An example is 2 Funky. Upon reading the song's title, I expected a real funk song, but instead it is a typical watered-down, Kenny G-alike, 90s smooth-jazz. Sax-A-Go-Go is somewhat better, but Mister Marvin reeks watered down, 90's Kenny G-like jazz again.

However, there is no accounting for taste, so if you like Kenny G and Dave Koz, and heck, even Michael Bolton, I'd have nothing against you. It's just I couldn't stand that kind of "yuppie music," but if you like them then it's fine by me. I still remember employing a freelance secretary/administrative staff who loved Kenny G so much, that she played the songs over and over again at office computer. Then I couldn't stand it anymore and said, "come on Miss Potts, Kenny G is not jazz. You should listen to Herbie Hancock instead!"

But then my mother, who was also my boss, showed up and said, "come on son, Herbie Hancock is not jazz. You should listen to Louis Armstrong instead!"

So yes, there is no accounting for taste. 🤣

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 29, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol Yep everyone has different taste, I do like the funk from the 70's but I've listened to disco and funk so long that I'm pretty well sick of it. It has it's moments but it gets pretty samey pretty quick. For some reason I don't really get bored of smoothjazz, it just makes me feel good. Brings back the happy exciting feeling of the 90's. 😁

I should mention I was very much of the same opinion of you not only a few years ago but my tastes changed over the years and continue to change (thank goodness, cause I used to listen to only Ozzy and 80's metal in highschool. 🤣)

Reply 24 of 29, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't get stressed too much about some of the responses as some just don't consider tastes other people have when it those tastes down't agree with their own. Personally I enjoy this music as it is soothing 😀

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 25 of 29, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol Naw don't worry I'm used to it. You gotta have thick skin to be a Packard Bell collector in a world filled with Mac lovers and Commodore fanboys. 😜

Reply 26 of 29, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Lol Naw don't worry I'm used to it. You gotta have thick skin to be a Packard Bell collector in a world filled with Mac lovers and Commodore fanboys. 😜

No kidding and it gets much worse in other areas of life where if you don't fit in what the world wants people will hate you. I like Packard Bells but there isn't very many of them around anymore and have yet to rebuild my collection to that point.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 27 of 29, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that's for sure, I got bullied all through grade school and HS but I mean it is what it is. People are assholes. We all have to live with it in some way. 🤣 But yeah it's surprising how much hate PB gets, people liked hating on PB so much back in the day since they were as common as blades of grass but I mean they honestly were decent machines. Much more so than the whacky shit IBM came out with in the 90's for instance. 🤣

Reply 28 of 29, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

I got bullied all through grade school and HS but I mean it is what it is.

I'm sorry to hear that King_C, bullying is evil behaviour. You seem like a cool dude to me 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 29 of 29, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't strictly fit the "smooth jazz" label, but I heard this on Techmoan's latest episode and figured I'd post it up. Good stuff here, lots of '80s synth sounds and groovy melodies. 😁

Hugh Masekela - Tomorrow

I quite like "Everybody's Standing Up" - great synthy intro.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!