VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Titus03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I came across with Capitalism Plus released by Enlight Software, but I can't figure out if the disc is original or not. Nobody hasn't posted a picture of the disc of the jewel case release or budget re-release to MobyGames. I can't find a picture of this disc with a jewel case, or with jewel case art anywhere either. I doubt that this would be the German release, because in-game language is English. Original jewel case inlays or sleeve is lost.

CAP_PLUS.jpg
Filename
CAP_PLUS.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The texts and the logo on disc looks flawless, and it's the version for DOS and Windows, so it should be the first or one of the very first ones ever released. I have read that Broderbund release was for Windows only, but I can't be 100 % sure about that. What makes me the most suspicious is that the format of the disc is CD-R, not CD-ROM. I can't be sure if CD-R has ever been officially used for manufacturing PC-games.

Does anyone has the first release or the budget re-release of this game and confirm if this disc is original or a bootleg?

Thank you.

- Titus03 -

Reply 1 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Given the problems that early CD-ROM drives have reading CD-Rs I'd be surprised if any commercial games were released on the format.

I know there are scammers on eBay who sell movies and music on DVD-R and CD-R, counting that buyers won't notice. (Most probably don't.) It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing is done with games.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 6, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A good game, here's mine ->

capplus.jpg
Filename
capplus.jpg
File size
194.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Mine appears to be a US release with Australian stickers on the box.

Reply 3 of 6, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had GoblinUpTheRoad's version too, OP's CD-R doesn't ring a bell 🙁

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 4 of 6, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What color is the data side of the disc? Silver top CD-Rs really didn't exist in 1996 and the recording layer was generally green on the early ones. Wasn't until 1999ish that modern silver CD-Rs came onto the market and were affordable for duplication. That looks like a copy someone made.