VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was about to write in Kreshna's Most underrated games? thread, but noticed my topic was going a bit way off, and decided to fork out the thread, and not hijack that one. (Maybe this topic had a similar one posted earlier....but anyway...just a refresher.) 😁 :

After all these years, what I've learnt, is that, reviews, even when similar across the majority of reviews, do not always coincide with what games I have enjoyed.

During pre-internet days, we used to depend on reviews of major games magazines. I'm not sure how much the review of a single person affects the magazine reputation as a whole, but it did have an impact on buyers' decision. Hardly we realized that the magazine's rating is actually the preference of a single person('s review).

But then again, I also don't depend on average or aggregate reviews like metacritic. Yes, they may seem to reflect what the majority of players feel, but sometimes, I just can't shake off the feeling of the effect of hype in today's connected world. It's like mass wave effect, not unlike social media craze.

In the end, I just enjoy playing again and again what I like, irrespective of the game whether it received high score ratings or not.

And I could not always concur with the most award winning, most highly-praised games. People may charge me with blasphemy, but I could never ever enjoy the award smashing Half-Life. I tried to like it. Very hard. I tried playing again and again. But could never enjoy it. Likewise, I felt more involved in the SSI's GoldBox RPGs, especially the combat, rather than Baldur's Gate real-time combat. People praised Morrowind more, but I prefer Oblivion. And so on...

And finally, unless there are gameplay-breaking bugs, poor coding, input or user interface mess-up, people can enjoy the games of their liking, irrespective of how good or bad the games are rated.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 4, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I only read reviews addressing games that I've already beaten, and I do that because there's always the possibility of coming across interesting insights, tricks and important details I may have totally missed (those alone are good enough reason as far as I'm concerned), and that was the case for classic AdrenalineVault reviews, which I also ended up agreeing with virtually every time.

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CGW sure has a misguided taste for fighting games.

Attachments

• sfa2.jpg
    Filename
    sfa2.jpg
    File size
    5.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • cgwrise.jpg
    Filename
    cgwrise.jpg
    File size
    23.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by Teggun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Personally i don't read stuff from the "big sites" anymore, and there may or may not be reviewers from those sites that are genuine but i can't bother searching for them in a sea of probably, probably not, paid for reviews. I like to look for independent reviewers whenever i can, people just reviewing in their spare time.

To me, a reviewer is someone you should get to know better, in the sense that a reviewer is someone you should be able to say something along the lines of "Yeah, i think X and Y person have tastes in games similar to mine." and thus you could rely on them a bit more in regards to recommending you something that you might enjoy with their reviews.

That said though, one should still be cautious about just winging it and following whatever a reviewer says, as it's merely a suggestion to get a game from the perspective of someone that isn't you, not a direct command to go purchase, even if the reviewer is indeed someone you have determined to have similar taste in games as you do, there can always be exceptions where you two disagree on the quality of a game.

And not only in games, you could say the same about pretty much any other piece of media or entertainment out there, of course this is just what i think,

Reply 4 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems CGW Best Game of the Year since mid-1990s and above are always first person shooter of sort. So while others followed CGW's guide and played Half-Life or Unreal Tournament, I played Jane's USAF instead.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.