VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After lurking around this forom for a while now it was finally time to register. I am like some others here a hoarder of old computers, hardware and Games.
I started my computer career at school with the famous Commodore 2001 aka PET, followed by an Apple IIe. At home we had a Ti 99/4A later replaced by a 286/16 PC with monochrome amber screen and a 20MB harddrive. Both maschines are still in my possession. My first own maschine was a 386/33 with massive 16 MB of RAM that outperformed most of the 8 MB 486 maschines of my study colleagues.

My main fields of interest are high performance maschines like servers, high graphic workstations and the associated peripheral boards, like professional graphic boards, SCSI RAID controllers and high performance networking equipment. Among these there is a special interest in IBM microchannel mascines and systems with EISA bus. Meanwhile there are quite numerous multiprocessor systems in the collection.

Here comes a short abstract of my collection:
IBM PS/2 Model 30, 30-286, 40, 50, 50z, 56, 57, 70, P70, 76, 77, 80, 85, 90, 95
Compaq Deskpro 286, 386n, 386s, /L, /M, XL, 2000, 4000
Compaq Systempro orignal, XL, LT
HP Netserver LM, LHplus, LHpro, LPr, LC2000, LT6000R
Compaq Proliant 800, 850r, 1000, 1500, 1600, 1850, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500, 6400, 6500, 8500, DL380, DL385, DL580
HP Vectra /RS /XU
HP Kayak XM600, XU800
IBM RS/6000 220, 250, 320H, 340, 410, C10, H80
IBM Server 315, 320, 500
HP 9000 F-class, I-class, J210, 712, 715, 735, B160, C200, C240, C360, C3600, C3700, C8000
SUN Blade 100, Blade 2000
several laptops, mostly IBM Thinkpads, the oldest ones are a Bondwell B200, an IBM Thinkpad 755c and a Toshiba Tecra 780DVD
Networking equipment for Ethernet of all speeds on copper and fiber, FDDI, Token Ring, ARC-Net, ATM, TCNS and fibrechannel
lots of peripherals like Monitors, printers, keybords, mice, external drives
Of coarse there are still a number of homebuild systems of all CPU generations

Most of the stuff is currently in storage, but I recently started to photograph my collection.
I will post some pictures, details and more systems in the according threads or in the wiki as soon as i find the time.

brw.: I wanted to use a picture of one of my i860 as my avatar buts wasn´t able to find one of my SPEA Fire boards quickly, so the smaller brother is used for now.

eisapc

Last edited by eisapc on 2018-03-12, 07:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is a very large collection to say the least, congrats! I hope the storage you have them into is proper (AC and all that) 😀

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 2 of 9, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of the equipment in storage is currently at my attic and basement. I´m currently moving parts of the collection to my weekend home.
Started to build up a computer room there.
Unfortuately there is no heating and during the cold season the building suffers from massive condensing humidity.
Last time i was there only one of the three SCSI drives in a P166 MMX W98 maschine came up during boot and a hp visualize X-class dual P3/1000 failed POST.
Hopefully this was only due to temperature of about 6°C inside the room and the equipment took no permanent damage.

Reply 3 of 9, by alexsydneynsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great collection. Looking forward to see some photos. I recently rented a storage cell for my computers and my wife’s paintings. Moving the hobby offsite so to speak.

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Welcome! Where in Germany are you from?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 9, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Welcome! Where in Germany are you from?

Born in Cologne, spending some time in Aachen for univesity, I live near Stuttgart for more than a decade now.
Backnang to be more detailed which is quite close to your place Ludwigsburg. You just have to jump on S4 and have a 10 min walk for a short visit.

Reply 6 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He he nice. I've been to Backnang twice in my life, there was a club called "Störung" I think. So never saw Backnang in daylight 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 9, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just heard nice stories about Störung as it was closed before I moved there.

I visited Ludwigsburg at daylight only to visit my girlfriend in the hospital.
Otherwise I used to drive there after dark to visit the famous RoFa club, once attended a concert at villa barock or last year when we visited the christmas market with some colleages, followed by a few drinks in the irish pub and the clansman.
Probably I will visit the clansman again as they have a nice collection of whiskeys, much more than the irish pub.
List of whiskeys availiable at the clansman pub

Reply 8 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm currently moving there but it seems we should meet when I'm fully there in summer. We seem to share same interests 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to the forum!

Quite a collection you have... looking forward to any future threads you write regarding some of these systems.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks