First post, by [ROTT] IanPaulFreeley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There were three of us with three different vintage machines:

- One guest was using a Pentium 133mhz
- Another guest was using a Pentium Pro 200mhz
- And I was using a 486 DX4 100mhz

We were all on a usual Windows TCP/IP network, and when the Microsoft IPX/SPX driver is installed, all of those old DOS games designed for IPX networks will work flawlessly.

The first game we tried was Rise of the Triad. We actually tried a couple of the wacky game modes it has such as Deluder and Hunter and it was all a lot of fun. My guests on their Pentiums had a completely liquid smooth framerate and the game looked like a million bucks. As for my 486, the game was certainly playable but ran noticeably choppier than on the Pentiums.

After that we tried a couple other games but at least one of the computers had issues with these so we moved on.

Lastly we did a co-op game on the third episode of Duke Nukem 3D, and every map was playable on my 486! The third episode has a lot of big outdoor urban maps set in Los Angeles and features a lot of the game's coolest moments. With our combined firepower, we polished-off the final boss in only a few seconds. Duke's the king!

We are going to do this again soon. Next I'd like to try some Hexen co-op, Death Rally racing, and vanilla Doom. Might take some pictures and/or video next time. 😉

- AMD 386 DX/40, 8mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- 486 DX2/66, 16mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- 486 DX4/100, 16mb, Win98se
- Pentium 166, 32mb, DOS 6.22 / WFW
- Pentium Pro 200, 64mb, Win98
- Athlon 500 MHz, 192mb, Win98

Reply 1 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds like it was a lot of fun! 😁

I suppose all 3 systems were yours?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 4, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lovely!

And if you totally must use that 486 for whatever reason (instead of the more powerful alternatives listed in your signature), maybe you could try wangbanging in Shadow Warrior next time; I remember it being perfectly playable on a similar rig, which's kind of surprising considering what I'm reading about your experience with ROTT.

Remember also to get it all on video8 and show the world that classic 90's fpsing goodness flickering through 😎

Reply 3 of 4, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Somehow I love and have fond memories of DOS IPX network games. Probable because I was excited for the first time, playing multiplayer games via network using two PCs (or more) at the same place. I and my friend had a blast with DOOM, Duke Nukem 3D, Command & Conquer and Warcraft II. I had a Pentium 133 and my friend had the Pentium 150.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

During my junior years in high school, the school computers were running Windows 98 (crazy, no?), and they were all networked, so we could play DOOM easily (albeit with no sound, as these were not supposed to be 'multimedia' machines, and they had no sound cards). At first the computer administrators tried to disallow people from installing games and other unauthorized software, but quickly gave up.

We played during breaks in the science labs, and if we were so involved as to disregard the chemistry teacher's reminders that the break is over, he would be forced to kill all power to the computers via a central switch to get the class started. 🤣

Boy, was that a fun time. I don't think I've had nearly as much DOOM and Duke 3D multiplayer since then.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys