VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-05-22, 15:11:

I suppose it's too much to hope that this could enable modders to create a new compiled build for Deus Ex (another Unreal engine 1 game)?Deus Ex with modern engine features would be fantastic.

that's not how game programming works

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 41 of 53, by Grunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-05-22, 14:30:

Allegedly the final build's still on UE1.

What final build? There is more?

Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-05-22, 15:11:

I suppose it's too much to hope that this could enable modders to create a new compiled build for Deus Ex (another Unreal engine 1 game)?

Yes, it is. These are two unrelated engines with a common source base (not released to this day). In example, I'm missing more video devices than just D3D8Drv (and relevant source codes).

Reply 42 of 53, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think, adding DirectX 11 render to Duke build is a matter of time.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 43 of 53, by Grunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Serpent Rider: I was more interested in Software renderer and as it isn't used in-game, there is source code for it. As well as for GlideAPI, Galaxy, EAX and Some private and proprietary particle-systems. I see now why it was leaked. This could not have been open-sourced in million years. It was the major argument of Tim Sweeney, why UE1 hasn't been released earlier. Well, now it was released everything even with proprietary software from third-parties. I guess someone is happy, finally. That'll get struck by cease and desist, no doubt.
I just wonder. What version of UE1 this might be? I see dates from the year 1996 up to 2000, so definitely it has to be some later Unreal Engine just before UE2

And just if anyone was wondering, here is a famous bilinear-kernel for software texture filtering:

This might get straight to Quake engine.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-05-25, 23:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grunt wrote on 2022-05-22, 19:27:

This might get straight to Quake engine.

thank goodness this was already figured out a decade earlier before your insinuating of illegal code theft.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 45 of 53, by Grunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-05-24, 00:35:

thank goodness this was already figured out a decade earlier before

Probably. But I haven't been able to figure out anything out of this piece of code. UT code is a bit better. Next time please at least comment on things. 😉

BTW: Any plans for Engoo maintenance release? It deserves one.

leileilol wrote on 2022-05-24, 00:35:

your insinuating of illegal code theft.

I plan to steal absolutely nothing. And this is where things get weird:
For years I lived in delusion. I thought UT1 was open source for years. I've seen some source code back in Linux (it might be a decade ago). Two years back (or maybe a year) I've figured out I've been wrong all this time. No, UT1 engine isn't open-source! So I considered this leak as the first full "release" of Unreal engine. But there are already 2 years old repositories with Unreal source code (floating somewhere on the internet), so I don't know what is current situation. I'm simply lost in it.

But back to DNF2001: Gentlemans, I'm impressed. I am sincerely impressed!
3D Realms folks called it "prototype". But I'm not sure. There is a ton of content implemented. OK, not finished, not polished, some levels are just rough sketches, but anyway. Hair physics, some crude level of things physics (it is just in Unreal Classes or it is implemented hardcore in code?), glass shattering, full pinball and pool table in Unreal Engine. Jet sky? Why there is a code for the jet sky? Just WOW.
I don't know why George Broussard doesn't want to talk about it. I get it. It's a painful period (it has to be), but as I see it there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I'd be glad to play this version (on UE1 engine) with all features implemented as imagined. Honestly. Even today.
Just stroll through *.uc files. Impressed. There are a lot of interactive things implemented and from very early on. Try to create a timeline. If Charlie Wiederhold was 3DRealms employee, Unreal engine had to be acquired sometime in the year 2000 (or turn of the year 1999/2000). Earliest there are comments from April 2000, then it's a year (and something) of hard work.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-05-25, 23:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 46 of 53, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grunt wrote on 2022-05-25, 17:44:

I plan to steal absolutely nothing. And this is where things get weird:
For years I lived in delusion. I thought UT1 was open source for years. I've seen some source code back in Linux (it might be a decade ago). Two years back (or maybe a year) I've figured out I've been wrong all this time. No, UT1 engine isn't open-source! So I considered this leak as the first full "release" of Unreal engine. But there are already 2 years old repositories with Unreal source code (floating somewhere on the internet), so I don't know what is current situation. I'm simply lost in it.

The code was never officially/legally released. The full source code of some Harry Potter game is out there. Epic (and other developers) did legally release source code to some auxiliary parts such as the renderers (and headers for core libraries), which is how new renderers could be developed.

Reply 47 of 53, by Grunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, they should hurry or they might not be in time with code release for 4K 2022 remake. The trailer is already out:
sddefault.jpg
This would be especially crispy on SoftDrv with texture dither.

Even in Unreal Engine it was in progress in the year 1999 and probably then made obsolete or development restarted. Keith Schuler worked on it mostly in 1999 and majority of this ended up in folder Obsolete.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-05-25, 23:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 49 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They switched to it since June 1998, which was common knowledge at one point....

Grunt wrote:

BTW: Any plans for Engoo maintenance release? It deserves one.

I plan to steal absolutely nothing.

>*posts stolen code snippets*
>"please continue gpl engine im not responsible for this!!!"

People like you are why ReactOS had the big audit and causing their stagnancy.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 51 of 53, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For years I lived in delusion. I thought UT1 was open source for years.

Sadly not. id Software did very generously release the Quake 3 source code (and did the same for other Quake and Doom games), and so some good freeware third party games were made using the Q3 engine, such as Open Arean, and World of Padman, but these never appealed to me as to me they play too fast, I'm an Unreal Tournament man through and through, rather than a Quake 3 man. I'm just one of the 50% (or whatever the true figure is) of gamers who preferred Unreal Tournament* to Quake 3.

So I hoped that the UT engine (in UT99) might also be released, so modders could release standalone games using UT99's superb gameplay mechanics, but sadly it never happened (I even e-mailed Epic, but never received a reply). Still, both UT99 and UT2004 have so many great mods, levels (maps), mutators, etc, that I am happy just to keep replaying those two games. And to this day, I haven't played another PC arena shooter that (to my mind) Is better than those games, as ancient as they are now.

* By 'Unreal Tournament' I mean both the 1999 game, and Unreal Tournament 2004, I'm not too bothered about UT 2003, or UT 3 as to me UT2003 and UT 3 are inferior to UT99 and UT 2004, so I don't play them.

Reply 52 of 53, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-05-26, 14:20:
Sadly not. id Software did very generously release the Quake 3 source code (and did the same for other Quake and Doom games), an […]
Show full quote

For years I lived in delusion. I thought UT1 was open source for years.

Sadly not. id Software did very generously release the Quake 3 source code (and did the same for other Quake and Doom games), and so some good freeware third party games were made using the Q3 engine, such as Open Arean, and World of Padman, but these never appealed to me as to me they play too fast, I'm an Unreal Tournament man through and through, rather than a Quake 3 man. I'm just one of the 50% (or whatever the true figure is) of gamers who preferred Unreal Tournament* to Quake 3.

So I hoped that the UT engine (in UT99) might also be released, so modders could release standalone games using UT99's superb gameplay mechanics, but sadly it never happened (I even e-mailed Epic, but never received a reply). Still, both UT99 and UT2004 have so many great mods, levels (maps), mutators, etc, that I am happy just to keep replaying those two games. And to this day, I haven't played another PC arena shooter that (to my mind) Is better than those games, as ancient as they are now.

* By 'Unreal Tournament' I mean both the 1999 game, and Unreal Tournament 2004, I'm not too bothered about UT 2003, or UT 3 as to me UT2003 and UT 3 are inferior to UT99 and UT 2004, so I don't play them.

I agree with pretty much all of this

Reply 53 of 53, by Grunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, no code here. I get it.

Out of curiosity, I had to try SoftDrv, and believe it or not, it works. Unfortunately with a lot of bugs and only for static maps (BSP tree?). All meshes and dynamic things (even glass) are not visible/are not properly rendered. Are meshes somehow tied on Direct3D Driver?

Attachments

• skybox.png
    Filename
    skybox.png
    File size
    870.1 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Bellagio Fountain - software renderer
    File license
    Public domain