VOGONS

Common searches

Retro Hardware Prices... are NUTS!

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 106, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't know anyone in the 90s who thought it was ok for a 6 year old to play to Doom. The controversy was around teenagers. It's well established the young children are influenced by what they see.

Reply 101 of 106, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure, but is it better as parents and adults to act as a filter for what they see and provide context and reflection for what they take in or to try to build a wall?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 102 of 106, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buckeye wrote:

cyclone3d, I wasn't aware of a place called Value Village in Huntsville, is it worth checking out? Been to a bunch of flea markets in NE Bama and have yet to find any bounty. Goodwill's about the same unless you're in need of keyboards and the like.

Sometimes they have good stuff. I'm sure I would find stuff if I went there more often. I really haven't seen anything older than Pentium 4 there in a long time though.
There is also a Value Village in Decatur, AL.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 103 of 106, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Plasma wrote:

I didn't know anyone in the 90s who thought it was ok for a 6 year old to play to Doom. The controversy was around teenagers. It's well established the young children are influenced by what they see.

True. Yet Pipi was something that was hailed as good children literature. Yet in the 1940's was hailed as damaging for children. Just as no parents would allow children to play doom then, it is most of the times hailed as ok for children to play today. The same with jazz, the doors, t-rex, roling stones, beatles and so on.

All I am saying, is that children in every generation do something "extreme" wich then will be ok once those children becomes parents.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 104 of 106, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Playstation2 consoles are actually something that are really cheap, for some odd reason. Yeah I know it was sold in millions. So did the C64. And C64's are way overpriced if you ask me. Ps1's on the other hand, is starting to rise. Ps3 are holding up it's value and has never dropped below a certain price tag. Xbox (the first model) are beginning to rise in value, and gamecube's are too expensive just as anything nintendo.

Reply 105 of 106, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Playstation2 consoles are actually something that are really cheap, for some odd reason. Yeah I know it was sold in millions. So did the C64. And C64's are way overpriced if you ask me. Ps1's on the other hand, is starting to rise. Ps3 are holding up it's value and has never dropped below a certain price tag. Xbox (the first model) are beginning to rise in value, and gamecube's are too expensive just as anything nintendo.

In my country I consider Gamecubes very affordable, you can get a good one for ca. € 40. The Game Boy player expansion can be bought for ca. € 50. Majority of Gamecube games range from € 7-35.

Actually I can’t really think of any game console that I consider really expensive, apart from a couple exotics like the Atari Jaguar, some Sega expansions and perhaps Neo Geo stuff, Japanese imports and such.

Games on the other hand can be expensive I think, especially NES and Amiga games.

C64 has doubled in value since I started this old computer hobby. I would say the C64 is a pretty useless basic and very common home computer, for me not worth the prices that they currently go for. I’m just not such a 8-bit fan anymore.

Reply 106 of 106, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:
In my country I consider Gamecubes very affordable, you can get a good one for ca. € 40. The Game Boy player expansion can be bo […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

In my country I consider Gamecubes very affordable, you can get a good one for ca. € 40. The Game Boy player expansion can be bought for ca. € 50. Majority of Gamecube games range from € 7-35.

Actually I can’t really think of any game console that I consider really expensive, apart from a couple exotics like the Atari Jaguar, some Sega expansions and perhaps Neo Geo stuff, Japanese imports and such.

Games on the other hand can be expensive I think, especially NES and Amiga games.

C64 has doubled in value since I started this old computer hobby. I would say the C64 is a pretty useless basic and very common home computer, for me not worth the prices that they currently go for. I’m just not such a 8-bit fan anymore.

Yup... The C64 pricing I fully agree on. Not worth the money. I was lucky to get one at an acceptable price. I grow up when those were the big thing, so at an affordable price and because I have nostalgic feelings for it. Then it was a no brainer when I saw it for sale.

Certain things, you need to have personal attachments to, before you buy.

Regarding prices. Gamecubes go for between 80 and 120 US Dollars as a minimum here. As I said. Anything Nintendo are priced nuts here. And at 80, the gamecube is only the basic unit, one controller and just a couple of games. Nothing exotic and fancy sold with the machine.