Common searches

Retro Hardware Prices... are NUTS!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 106, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesn't matter. It's generational. Kids who began tinkering with computers around Y2K will now be old guys with fond memories of P4's -- and lots of cash to spend on them.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 61 of 106, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote:

Doesn't matter. It's generational. Kids who began tinkering with computers around Y2K will now be old guys with fond memories of Athlon XP/64 -- and lots of cash to spend on them.

FTFY 😉

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 62 of 106, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I'll ever be nostalgic about P4 machines

Top tier machines with 850/865/875 chipsets and 3ghz+ CPUs already starting to gain in price slowly.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 63 of 106, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I don't think I'll ever be nostalgic about P4 machines

Top tier machines with 850/865/875 chipsets and 3ghz+ CPUs already starting to gain in price slowly.

They are competing with rising prices of electric eaters I suppose?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 64 of 106, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really?
Pentium 4 is trash in my book mainly because the games/software can be played/used on any other modern machine or virtual machine with excellent results.
IMO truly collectible hardware/system is one you cannot use its software library accurately on anything else.

The Super NT for example just made the original SNES/SFC console quite unnecessary.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 65 of 106, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And one of the few reasons to have a SNES vs good software emulation was the Superscope. That had, what, two compatible games.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 66 of 106, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As computers get more powerful eventually we will be able to emulate whole configurations, specific graphics cards, soundcards and so on, which will make the actual hardware redundant, asides from maybe CRTs to display it on. Perhaps with the advent of quantum computing this will become possible.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 67 of 106, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I do think prices are inflated, not only by hyping but also by scrupulous traders who buy and sell by the ton and don't know anything about the components they sell, except the price tag. I'm talking about mass hoarding of parts with the intend of selling them down the line and being patient enough to keep things in storage for a very long time (think 20 years or longer). Obviously this would create an artificial scarcity, which by definition calls for inflated pricing of parts which would otherwise be a lot cheaper.

What other conspiracy theories can you come up with? 🤣

Reply 68 of 106, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another thing is, people reviewing certain retro hardware, such as the Roland MT-32 on YouTube drives the prices high. The Roland MT-32 I have was purchased by my dad 30 years ago and it still works to this day.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 69 of 106, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just for the record - 3dfx cards even five years ago were not sold for ludicrous amounts of money like now.

Another thing is, people reviewing certain retro hardware, such as the Roland MT-32 on YouTube drives the prices high

Youtube boom certainly had huge impact. Especially on everything related to Nintendo.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 70 of 106, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quite a few hobbies start with the nuts who collect what most people view as useless garbage. Then people hear of others doing the same thing and there is less stigma to it. Then you get more people in the hobby and prices start to rise above free. Eventually people start posting on Facebook and Youtube about it and it starts being a craze where people with money buy everything "cool".

P4's will be worth something down the road because of the vast amount of people who started using computers on that hardware and want to do it again 20 years from now after 99% of it has been recycled. I only have a couple P4 machines because the chip never interested me, but I have a ton of Athlon XP/A64/Opteron hardware of the time period that did interest me. I collected 3DFX before it was cool because I was an early 3DFX adopter and later on I just snagged the models I never had when they were surplus junk.

There are people now who love collecting Packard Bell machines when they were considered junk and a joke when new.

I do think Ebay prices for rarities can be manipulated but not the more common stuff that sell all over. Billions of dollars of old hardware gets sold on ebay every year, so those prices are more accurate then what one item sold for twice on Amibay.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 71 of 106, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qjimbo wrote:

As computers get more powerful eventually we will be able to emulate whole configurations, specific graphics cards, soundcards and so on, which will make the actual hardware redundant, asides from maybe CRTs to display it on. Perhaps with the advent of quantum computing this will become possible.

Provided people continue to develop emulators and such. It's a shame that DosBox stopped at 0.74.

Reply 72 of 106, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Keatah wrote:

It's a shame that DosBox stopped at 0.74.

What makes you think that it stopped?

Reply 73 of 106, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
Keatah wrote:

It's a shame that DosBox stopped at 0.74.

What makes you think that it stopped?

Probably because that is the latest official compiled version.

Years ago, when I had a project and released modified CPU core files which reduced the needed CPU cycles by about 20%, I got people complaining that I didn't release a compiled binary.

I took the project down soon after that because people were acting like spoiled little brats and expected me to do everything for them even though the project was done in my spare time and I got absolutely nothing from it but whining.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 74 of 106, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

Probably because that is the latest official compiled version.

Years ago, when I had a project and released modified CPU core files which reduced the needed CPU cycles by about 20%, I got people complaining that I didn't release a compiled binary.

I took the project down soon after that because people were acting like spoiled little brats and expected me to do everything for them even though the project was done in my spare time and I got absolutely nothing from it but whining.

Yup, people can be ungrateful. It's probably better, though, if you think of DOSBox as a rolling release. They haven't pushed a new version, but stability of any SVN commit seems to be really good.

Reply 76 of 106, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Welcome to free open source software. Though it's not the developers' fault but when you release free software, some users just have insane expectations and come across as arrogantly ungrateful. There's a polite way to request new features or suggestions instead of thinking in the typical internet neckbeard cynicalism mindset.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 77 of 106, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also noticed that there was a bug in DOSBox 0.74 when playing Frederik Pohl's Gateway using the MT-32: it only played 1 song when going around the town instead of all 3. I reversed the code (thank you, DOSBox mods and admins on here), compiled my own revision, and it works.

Another reason I think DOSBox stopped at 0.74 was because everyone was buying old computers for better gameplay and better support. I use DOSBox for testing games that people are developing nowadays, and if they work, then I make a diskette of the games by extracting some of the files onto a diskette and do a test to see if the game works with my machine(s) running DOS/Win9x.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 79 of 106, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElementalChaos wrote:

It is still plenty possible to get old hardware for cheap or free. eBay isn't everything. Go to thrift stores...

Are thrift stores in your municipality really selling old computers? I haven't seen a computer in a thrift store for at least 10 years. Where I live, they go straight to the recycler when left at the thrift store.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.