VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 640 of 1005, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2022-08-02, 12:18:

There has been an increasing trend in the omission of "condition" values in the eBay listings. If an item is not listed as, "broken for parts", and has dash-dash (--) in the condition field, is it returnable for "not as described" if the item does not work?

-- is treated as a "for parts"

this is a new thing - when the seller lists an item as "vintage" they don't even get prompted to choose a condition and it shows up as --

Reply 641 of 1005, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Imo broken items are too expensive. There is very little difference in price between non working items and working items. Which is really a shame as we all should encourage repairing of old items so the hobby can live on.

Instead items are sold as 'untested' and might actually be thrown away by an unsatisfied customer.

Reply 642 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-31, 12:50:

I remember a user here talking about a dual AGP board that was at a display show, no idea how they got that working but it too was limited to a specific model of GPU that was modded to work with that one board in a dual AGP GPU setup, would love to see some pictures of that setup.

I had software SLI working for giggles between a PCI 9400GT and a PCIe 9600, some years back, performance was dismal of course, but it appeared to be functioning.

edit: it needed very particular driver revisions IIRC. I am also not remembering if you had to do some registry editing or not, not sure if I was in there for that or something else... was just a bunch of screwing around without making notes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 643 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-08-02, 18:06:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-31, 12:50:

I remember a user here talking about a dual AGP board that was at a display show, no idea how they got that working but it too was limited to a specific model of GPU that was modded to work with that one board in a dual AGP GPU setup, would love to see some pictures of that setup.

I had software SLI working for giggles between a PCI 9400GT and a PCIe 9600, some years back, performance was dismal of course, but it appeared to be functioning.

edit: it needed very particular driver revisions IIRC. I am also not remembering if you had to do some registry editing or not, not sure if I was in there for that or something else... was just a bunch of screwing around without making notes.

Pci in general was always more forgiving when tinkering and doing weird shit with it.

AGP just wasn’t built to handle SLI due to how the bus worked, it only ever expected one GPU still I’m curious what mods they did to get two working together. Possibly dual AGP bus controllers and separate busses.

Reply 644 of 1005, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I come to think of it, AGP is called a bus but it has only two stops. Northbridge <-> Graphics card or onboard chip. Hmm...

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 645 of 1005, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The -- usually means it is listed in the vintage computer / vintage computer parts area which means it is not returnable unless not as described.

Basically no warranty unless the listing specifically says it is guaranteed to work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 646 of 1005, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2022-08-02, 19:46:

Now I come to think of it, AGP is called a bus but it has only two stops. Northbridge <-> Graphics card or onboard chip. Hmm...

This reminds of my days studying for MCSE back in 1999 on networking re: Ethernet:

In one of those Microsoft Training kits was a line something like '...physically it's a star, but logically it's a bus!'

Good times...

Reply 647 of 1005, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-08-03, 00:08:

The -- usually means it is listed in the vintage computer / vintage computer parts area which means it is not returnable unless not as described.

Basically no warranty unless the listing specifically says it is guaranteed to work.

Why guessing?

Ask the seller about item condition instead and if it doesn't match what you've been told, use seller's answer as a description when returning it. And if seller doesn't answer at all, simply avoid such a seller, cause if you'll purchase from him, he will behave like this also after the purchase.

Reply 649 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote on 2022-08-05, 18:13:

Can we please get over the fact, that everything non Intel or AMD (pre 686) stuff fetches top dollars nowadays? It makes those screenshots with the underlying unexpressed anger very unneccessary.

Could you be more specific with what you are referring to? Since I'm the only one posting screenshots in this thread, I'd guess you are referring to me. However, I do not have any unexpressed anger with regards to any of these sales, so I'm at a loss for what you are trying to convey. Anything that I might be looking for on eBay, I wouldn't be posting here. There is very little that I'm looking for and they don't usually appear on eBay. The goal of this thread is to track market value of interesting items that have actually sold to have some record of value.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 650 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2022-08-06, 03:12:
blurks wrote on 2022-08-05, 18:13:

Can we please get over the fact, that everything non Intel or AMD (pre 686) stuff fetches top dollars nowadays? It makes those screenshots with the underlying unexpressed anger very unneccessary.

Could you be more specific with what you are referring to? Since I'm the only one posting screenshots in this thread, I'd guess you are referring to me. However, I do not have any unexpressed anger with regards to any of these sales, so I'm at a loss for what you are trying to convey. Anything that I might be looking for on eBay, I wouldn't be posting here. There is very little that I'm looking for and they don't usually appear on eBay. The goal of this thread is to track market value of interesting items that have actually sold to have some record of value.

You know what Items sell for abnormal amounts .. wavetable boards, there are a few Yamaha and Roland boards up right now but they are selling for absurd amounts. I think I can logic the reason since they are rather rare ticket items but still, 500 USD seems like a lot more than you would expect.

Even Roland breakout midi boxes are stupidly expensive.

Reply 651 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you share some sold listings of these wavetable boards? I haven't been tracking these.

Serda shop now has a lot of neat wavetable boards. They used to just have the DreamBlaster X2 and the S2, but now have things like an E-Wave (ESS ES692S), QWave (QS1000 based), X2GS (official Roland GS/GM bank?), McFly (VLSI VS1053 based), and CrystalBlaster C2 (CS9236). I haven't tried the McFly or the C2 yet. I guess the introduction of all these wavetable boards hasn't affected the price of the older boards. I think Serda also makes a re-make of the SIMMConn for the AWE64, but even then, the original SIMMConns were still fetching a lot on eBay.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 652 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2022-08-06, 04:59:

Could you share some sold listings of these wavetable boards? I haven't been tracking these.

Serda shop now has a lot of neat wavetable boards. They used to just have the DreamBlaster X2 and the S2, but now have things like an E-Wave (ESS ES692S), QWave (QS1000 based), X2GS (official Roland GS/GM bank?), McFly (VLSI VS1053 based), and CrystalBlaster C2 (CS9236). I haven't tried the McFly or the C2 yet. I guess the introduction of all these wavetable boards hasn't affected the price of the older boards. I think Serda also makes a re-make of the SIMMConn for the AWE64, but even then, the original SIMMConns were still fetching a lot on eBay.

I actually want an Ewave but they are out of stock so not sure if they will be making more.

As for the Daughterboards, not really I only check them out when they pop up which isn't often, they dont normally stay up long either, the last few I have personally looked at were listed for ~500USD and they were only up for a day or two at the most.

Right now there are two SW60XGs up for 250 a piece, there is a Roland SBC-55 up for 450 USD and a Yamaha DB51XG for 403 USD.

All of them beyond what I'm wiling to pay but I dont expect the SBC-55 to be up much longer.

Right now I would be happy to get a breakout box at a reasonable price, im patient so I know one will eventually hit the bay at the right price.

Reply 653 of 1005, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-06, 05:18:
I actually want an Ewave but they are out of stock so not sure if they will be making more. […]
Show full quote

I actually want an Ewave but they are out of stock so not sure if they will be making more.

As for the Daughterboards, not really I only check them out when they pop up which isn't often, they dont normally stay up long either, the last few I have personally looked at were listed for ~500USD and they were only up for a day or two at the most.

Right now there are two SW60XGs up for 250 a piece, there is a Roland SBC-55 up for 450 USD and a Yamaha DB51XG for 403 USD.

All of them beyond what I'm wiling to pay but I dont expect the SBC-55 to be up much longer.

Right now I would be happy to get a breakout box at a reasonable price, im patient so I know one will eventually hit the bay at the right price.

I've never really understood the obsession with the wavetable versions of things like the sound canvas or Yamaha desktop synths , is it to save space or something?
The desktop versions have more controls , inputs and usually a nice lcd screen to boot but cost less , you'd think the desktop ones would be worth more , but I guess its like a rarity thing?

Reply 654 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-08-06, 07:07:
I actually want an Ewave but they are out of stock so not sure if they will be making more. […]
Show full quote

I've never really understood the obsession with the wavetable versions of things like the sound canvas or Yamaha desktop synths , is it to save space or something?
The desktop versions have more controls , inputs and usually a nice lcd screen to boot but cost less , you'd think the desktop ones would be worth more , but I guess its like a rarity thing?

I guess some people dont want a box hanging off their PC or perhaps they are useful for other things besides gaming .. music production perhaps ?

Reply 655 of 1005, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-06, 07:08:
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-08-06, 07:07:
Show full quote

I guess some people dont want a box hanging off their PC or perhaps they are useful for other things besides gaming .. music production perhaps ?

I'd probably argue that the desktop ones would be more useful for music since you can rack mount them and connect them together with other midi devices like sequencers or keyboards or switchboxes.

Reply 656 of 1005, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

Also you mentioned roland break out boxes , did you like mean the mpu 401.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165601815438?hash … UPIAAOSwFUti5CO~

There was a 401AT that sold for about 100 so they do still occasionally show up for good price. Like you said just gotta be patient i guess.

Reply 657 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-08-06, 10:26:
Also you mentioned roland break out boxes , did you like mean the mpu 401. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Also you mentioned roland break out boxes , did you like mean the mpu 401.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165601815438?hash … UPIAAOSwFUti5CO~

There was a 401AT that sold for about 100 so they do still occasionally show up for good price. Like you said just gotta be patient i guess.

More like the MT-32, SC-55 MKII ~500 AUD and SC-88, though the SC-88 is cheaper to get here in Australia ~250 AUD and the MT32 is more expensive than both at ~650 AUD.

Id love a SC-55 MKII but right now 500 AUD is far too much, hopefully they come down in price as the market seems to be flooded with them.

Probably should have said External Midi boxes, eventually one will hit a price I can accept and Ill snaffle it up. I did the same thing with a Voodoo5 5500 and eventually got one for 150 USD off Evilbay recently. (3DFX stuff does seem to be coming down in price so hopefully it hits levels where the patient retro builders can grab a card or three, I just need a cheap Rush and Velocity 1000 to round out my collection )

Reply 658 of 1005, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dosgamer wrote on 2018-04-16, 10:07:

I agree that buying/selling/trading is an essential part of this hobby. How else are you going to get the hardware you want? And how are you going to get rid of the hardware you don't need anymore? Personally, I would have no problems with a marketplace subforum where people can post eBay links or personal ads and discuss them. I mean, if you don't like it, you don't have to read it. In fact, having personal ads on this forum would probably lower prices, because there would be more hardware offered, increasing supply.

I'd like a by/sell sub-forum here too. We 'vogonners' don't have a place to trade/buy/sell hardware safely. If we had that here we wouldn't be extorted on ebay and the likes. Every other retro forum I know of in existance has one, Atari forums, Amiga forums, Unix forums... but for DOS/Windows retro, we don't. I don't see why not.

Reply 659 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the spammer, scammer and troll problem tends to explode as soon as you have a classified section and it takes a LOT of moderation. Also there tends to be spillover into regular forums of trading vendettas etc... so it needs a really close eye. I quite understand if they want to avoid all that mess.

However, I think it would be really cool, if there could be a semi-official "we're not responsible but..." partnership with heatware.com or Tindie flea market as the officially unofficial Vogon's trading site.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.