VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If money wasn't that much of an object what Sort of Platform should I aim for?

#1: Use my existing Intel PR440FX motherboard with the pl-pro/ii and associated adapters to bring a Tualatin Celeron 1400 to 980mhz(14X70mhzfsb), for the cool factor probably very CPU limited though, I dont have the PL-PRO/II adapter but have the other 2 required, these go for around $200 the last time I saw them available.

#2: Some sort of Tualatin Server motherboard to use the Video card at 66mhz PCI, I have no idea of the performance benefits of 33 vs 66mhz and which particular motherboards support this speed, for the cool factor again probably no ISA slot though, looses some points for coolness.

#3: Sky the limit I.E P4 server board or anything that runs 66mhz to absolutely get the most out of the card, not so cool.

Any other ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm a little confused by #1. "using my existing...motherboard with pl-pro/II"... then later mention "I don't have the pl-pro/II". Then wrote, "have the other two required" You have the other two what required for what?

I like the idea of running a socket 8 at 1 GHz. Even better if it is a dual system.

I ran some tests with the Matrox Parhelia 256 card at 33 MHz and 66 MHz and didn't notice much difference, so there is the possibility that the Voodoo5 won't show any benefit either. You'll have to test for that though.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 4, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need 3 adapters for a tualatin to work in a socket 8 motherboard

1.Powerleap Pl-pro/ii - socket 8 to socket 370 mendocino (533mhz).
2. Powerleap Neo S370 allows a coppermine Pentium 3.
3. LIN Lin tualatin adapter - from coppermine to tualatin.

Ive got 2 and 3 but not #1.

Reply 4 of 4, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.k6plus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=945&start=15

Apparently so, it's ridiculous but infringing.

Edit: at 933mhz can't imagine issues at 980mhz.