VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've been thinking about setting up an old Pentium Pro workstation for some time now as a dedicated retro graphics workstation and downclocking it from 200 to 180 so I can run some speed sensitive software without any hacks. Its main purpose will be running an older version of 3d Studio as well as some other things I've collected over the years. I can't easily run a lot of this stuff on any of my modern systems (3d Studio in particular has a HASP dongle that requires a parallel port) so that is the reason for the dedicated system.

I've also got a Pentium Overdrive 83mhz VLB system that would also be a good candidate, and obviously while I'm not intending on using this for production work, whenever you're talking about computer graphics the more speed the better, so I'm a bit torn on which one to use. I may set that one up as a gaming system because I don't think I will be able to gimp the Pentium Pro enough to use it for most DOS games. But that is a different topic.

So which one would you go for? My feeling is the Pentium Pro will probably make everything seem like it is running at warp speed, given a lot of the software I'm looking at running was written for 386 and 486 and early Pentium era systems.

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 for the Pentium Pro, its a better match.
The PPro chip was designed for "serious work" not gaming.
I get wanting you use old software, will you really miss watching a progress bar when you load, save, etc
even the name, "workstation" suggests what it wants to do.

While a VLB system is a bit special for the era, it was still mainstream and even dropped for PCI in later Socket 3 motherboards.

Reply 3 of 5, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any suggestions for a good PCI Open GL card of that rough era say 96-99 that is compatible with OS/2 3&4 and 95/NT?
I've got a Matrox Mystique which I think may have drivers for both OS/2 and Win 95/NT, I also have a Voodoo 3000 which I've had since I first bought it, but that might be a bit much for a Pentium Pro 200.

Reply 4 of 5, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snorg wrote:

Any suggestions for a good PCI Open GL card of that rough era say 96-99 that is compatible with OS/2 3&4 and 95/NT?
I've got a Matrox Mystique which I think may have drivers for both OS/2 and Win 95/NT, I also have a Voodoo 3000 which I've had since I first bought it, but that might be a bit much for a Pentium Pro 200.

FireGL or some 3DLabs (Oxygen/GLoria). Dunno about OS/2 🙁.

Reply 5 of 5, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

None of serious OpenGL cards were compatible with W95. Everything was build for NT3.5/4. Only one exception was 3Dlabs cards before Oxygen had some drivers for W9x, but without OpenGL support. This was only in Win NT. Only ones i know about were oxygen VX1/GMX/GVX1 line which were mainstream cards aimed also for game developers....
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/item/21 … abs-oxygen-gvx1

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info