VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Virtual Reality headsets are nothing new to the PC world. Back in the 1990s several companies, most prominently the Forte VFX-1 Headgear, made Virtual Realty headsets that could give you a new level of immersion for games that supported it. And some developers were intrigued enough to respond to the call of Virtual Reality and Multi-Display Gaming in some fashion. Unfortunately the headsets were too expensive, the technology was too immature and VR really did not catch on at that time. Descent, Magic Carpet and MechWarrior 2 were probably the most prominent games to support VR. According to Forte, DOOM, Rise of the Triad, Heretic, and Flight Unlimited also supported the VFX-1. I've seen a video with Quake running on the VFX-1. I know that Duke Nukem 3D supports stereoscopy, but that is not quite the same thing as VR I believe.

Fast forward 20 years and VR has become much, much more mainstream. A decent smartphone and a cheap $40 headset will provide you with an introduction into the World of Virtual Reality. That VFX-1 headet on the other hand is rather rare and expensive. For the money you might spend on that and hope it would work, you could buy an Occulus Rift headset and have money to spare.

Could emulation revive the long-dormant VR features of these DOS games? DOSBox is fairly portable, perhaps an emulation layer could be devised to send the stereoscopic views generated in a game like DOOM to your Occulus Rift. DOOM would think it is being run with the VFX-1, but in reality it is being run through DOSBox and Occulus to provide a far superior experience to the chunky low-res headset of old. Is there likely to be any interest in such a project?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's already DOSCulus around, but I don't think it emulates any headsets on the DOS side, it just displays non-stereoscopic copies of the DOS framebuffer in each eye of the Rift. It'd be a good starting point though.

It's worth noting the Oculus Rift & other modern headsets have significantly different eye geometry compared to older ones like the VFX-1. The VFX geometry is "flat" but the FOV is narrow enough it doesn't matter. The Rift uses barrel distortion, which would have to be added in post, to achieve a much wider FOV (I only have a Rift DK1 but I imagine every other current headset is similar.) The eye spacing is also way different. To make a VFX-1 game compatible with the Rift you'd have to chop the image down the middle and move the left & right eyes farther apart.

There's only one game I know of that supports both the Oculus Rift (DK1) and the Forte VFX-1 natively; it's called Gridfighter 3D and I wrote it. 😜 The Rift & VFX-1 render paths are exactly the same, but all of the eye geometry is variable, so I just moved the center & boundaries of each eye-image to the right place. I didn't do any barrel distortion on the Rift but I kept the FOV narrow so it looks fine. (Try starting the game in VFX-1 mode using a Rift and you'll see the problem.)

Last edited by xjas on 2018-05-06, 18:15. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That issue seems similar to the triple-monitor support in DOOM : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2TG7VCms3Q

You can see distortions in the walls near the seams, as if there was insufficient overlapping done.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kind of, but it's not a matter of overlap - It's a necessity of projecting a 3D playfield onto a 2D surface (which then gets converted back to 3D by your brain.) It's the same reason wide-angle cameras (GoPro, etc.) take 'fish-eye' photos, because they're taken on a flat CCD & you view them on a flat display afterwards.

The distortion is minimized around the center of the display, so if you shrink the FOV down enough, a flat projection looks fine. The VFX-1 only has a ~45 deg. FOV; the stereo 3D effect works great but it's like looking at the world through a window (or a really bulky racing helmet.)

If you don't try to increase the FOV and just keep it at what a '90s headset would offer, you can totally get away with a flat projection on the Rift. But you'd still have to slice the image in half and move the eye centers into the right position. Not an insurmountable problem at all.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

That issue seems similar to the triple-monitor support in DOOM : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2TG7VCms3Q

You can see distortions in the walls near the seams, as if there was insufficient overlapping done.

That's probably due to Doom viewing angle been 90 degrees from each screen, which in real life doesn't really work

Reply 6 of 7, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I came here with optimism looking for info on current modern VR headset working with older Dos games (System Shock, Doom, Dark Forces, Magic Carpet, etc)

I understand you won't get true VR but I was hoping for really good 3D stereoscopic effect.

I see or can find bits and pieces around the web (DOSculus, GZ3Doom, vorpX-DirectX only) but full info seems incomplete.

Since most run great with Dosbox, is there anyone working on a Dosbox version to work with many of the market VR headsets?
Or links or info of the like?

Thanks.

Reply 7 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good question, I wonder the same. As far as I know, some games/applications used a VESA-like middleware (3D BIOS ?) to interface with various VR glasses,
so it shouldn't be too hard to support that as well. Alternatively, it could be possible to use old VR glasses with an RS-232 cable in DOSBox.
(Provided, that someone still has a CRT monitor and that these shutter glass "tricks" on VGA work from within DOSBox/the host OS.)

Edit: Name of that driver/API was "LCDBios". See http://www.stereo3d.com/driverc.htm
Edit: That page is interesting, IMHO. Among other things, it also has a comparison table of old HMDs. Alas, it is dated also (~2004 ?)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//