VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use an FTP program to put files onto my original XBox, but the one I use (I can't remember it's name, sorry, but I know it's old) can only copy files verbatim, so that if say a file is called

doom.zip

then of course it will simply copy the file doom.zip to the XBox's hard drive. It's not a real problem, of course, as I can just unzip the file(s) to the PC's hard drive, and FTP the unzipped files (and their folders, if any) to the hard drive. But I've been downloading a lot of Duke Nukem 3D mods (DN3D was fan ported to the XBox, when 3D Realms made the game open source) and I was wondering if there was a newer FTP program that can automatically unzip .zip files (or .rar or .7z) and send the contained files to the XBox.

If any XBox settings need to be known (so you can recommend a suitable FTP program), then please let me know and I'll find and post the information when I'm at home tomorrow. I do know though that there wasn't anything special that needs to be done to get the PC and XBox to communicate, it's just a basic FTP Windows program on the PC, and the Evo-X frontend on the XBox, and a short basic guide to get them working together via a standard Ethernet cable, and I've been using this setup for a lot longer than a decade, so I don't think a different FTP program would require any new hardware.

Thanks for any answers.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://pismotec.com/download/

Mass-mount all the zip's you've downloaded and their content will be immediately accessible as regular, individual folders to any application that runs on the OS, and if your FTP client allows it (which's true for most of them included my choice app WinSCP), it becomes as simple as right clicking the folder(s) and proceeding to upload, which will be automatically done as either folders containing what they actually contain or as individual files, depending on the permissions set on the server side.

This goes without saying, but if you don't have all that many zips, you may just browse them from the FTP client like any other folder, select the contained files and upload them the conventional way.

Reply 3 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use something like winrar (I'm sure many more will do this but I'm only aware of winrar) which has a context menu option to "extract each archive to a separate folder", it'll become a matter of select + right click.
Even if your archives are in different folders you can input *.zip in windows explorer search field and still do the extraction in one click on the search results.

Reply 4 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

You can use something like winrar (I'm sure many more will do this but I'm only aware of winrar) which has a context menu option to "extract each archive to a separate folder", it'll become a matter of select + right click.
Even if your archives are in different folders you can input *.zip in windows explorer search field and still do the extraction in one click on the search results.

I know that, thanks (though I use 7Zip, which has the context menu command "Extract to */", which is the same function as Winrar's "Extract each archive to separate folder"), but I was just trying to save time by not having to un-archive all of the zips at all (instead hoping that an FTP program could automatically un-archive the .zips and just send the contents to the XBox), though I suppose the time saved wouldn't be much anyway.