VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was planning on getting some of my older systems running this weekend, and I've got some 20-30 year old software that is essentially irreplaceable if a floppy disk decides to go bad on me. Should I clean the drives first? If so, is 90% isopropyl alcohol enough? I can't find anything higher than that in my area. If I don't have any of those old floppy disk cleaners, how exactly do I go about cleaning the drive? Should I buy an old cleaner and save this project for next weekend? I'd hate to ruin my old disks by trying to read them in ancient hardware.

Reply 1 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I presume you are referring to 5.25 inch floppy disks? Isopropyl alcohol is fine to clean the heads with a cotton swab (q-tip).

There are some tutorials online on how to clean a 5.25 inch drive's heads but, you basically just remove the top cover and then gently lift the head assembly and clean it with a cotton swab - here's one video: https://youtu.be/kCBLJMqTFng.

However, chances are that, after 30 years, your floppy disks would have picked up some oxidation which would make them also unreadable. There are ways to try and clean those as well - one method that I've tried is to clean the disk surface with a cotton swab that has been absorbed in purified water. You then clean both sides of the disk and rotate the disk until you've cleaned the entire surface. Very time consuming and you have to let the disks dry out.

Reply 2 of 5, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I have some software on both 3.5" and 5.25". But most of the items are on 3.5".

What about cleaning a 3.5" drive?

If I don't clean the 3.5" disks ahead of time, and try and clean them after a failed read, that shouldn't hurt anything right? So long as I let them dry before trying again?

Reply 3 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are plenty of tutorials. Here's one: https://youtu.be/m6CEVtOlpoY.

If you try to read an old floppy disk and it is "dirty", then you just end up having to clean the floppy drive's heads again.

But, you don't have to clean the floppy disks - it's just a suggestion should you suspect them being very "dirty".

Reply 4 of 5, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have to be careful not to knock the drive heads out of alignment. Apparently you can only correct this with some complex juju involving exotic proprietary software and an oscilloscope.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 5, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

You have to be careful not to knock the drive heads out of alignment. Apparently you can only correct this with some complex juju involving exotic proprietary software and an oscilloscope.

I have prematurely greyed many hairs attempting to align floppy drive heads.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.