VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a RAR file that I need to open, but I don't have the exact password that it uses, so I've googled for programs to get around the password, but from what they say, they all seem to try every possible combination of characters, which will apparently take forever, since the password is around fifteen characters. I know that because I (the idiot typing this...) created the rar file (it's basically a collection of work documents) and I always use the same fourteen character password with a single digit number added to the end for all work related stuff.

The problem is that when I typed the password to create the RAR file then I must have mis-typed it, so the password needed to unRAR the file isn't what it should have been. So the required password is probably the usual password plus one digit (fifteen characters in all), only with one character wrong (probably it's from the next keyboard key of what it should have been), or perhaps the password is only fourteen characters (if I didn't press one of the keys all the way down), or sixteen characters (if I pressed two keys at once). So I was hoping I could find a utility that I could enter the proper password in, and it would then try to enter ever possible variation of that password into WinRAR.

And yes, I do usually test the passworded files before I send them to work, but I was rushing because I was going out (it was later than I thought) hence the rushed typing. And because I was in a hurry, I didn't enable the "Show password" option in WinRAR, so it just showed as asterixes when I created the RAR file.

I've tried entering the correct password in in capitals (it's normally in lower case) in case CAPS LOCK was on when I created the RAR, but that's not the solution, sadly.

Can anyone suggest anything? If it's not possible then fair enough, but if I can't open the file then I'll have lost some hours work, which of course I'd rather avoid having to repeat if possible.

Reply 3 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would probably be easier to create a script to go through variations of your password. heh

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 17, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

How many months are you prepared to set aside for this?

That's why I want something that will try using the almost complete password, just changing one character each try, to *massively* cut down on the variations to be tested. I need the files by 4pm on Thursday.

mrau wrote:

the main question is file size

it's a 29 MB file (most of which is unimportant, as I didn't modify them from the work's machine, I only edited about six of them plus created two more).

DosFreak wrote:

Would probably be easier to create a script to go through variations of your password. heh

That's a good idea, but beyond me. It's not a major problem anyway, it will only take a few hours to redo the work, and it will teach me the valuable lesson to ALWAYS check backups (which I usually do, but not this time, ironically - I always e-mail the newly made RARs to myself as well as work, and keep a copy on USB stick, to be safe, but that's irrelevant now since it's a password related fault). I just thought that there might be a password cracking program that would take the intended password and test all possible mistypings of it in a RAR file. I can't be the only idiot who's ever ended up needing one.

Reply 5 of 17, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would imagine there are dictionary attack programs out there to crack rar files. The library files for unrar are available in c++ if not, so you can write it yourself or find someone willing.

You can then write a little script to dump a text file with your regular password and every variation of each character that could represent the typo to use as the dictionary. If it really is only a single character typo it'll be found in seconds. Beyond that the time to crack it would grow exponentially, but if you know the majority of the password its not unreasonable.

Edit: if its only a few hours of work I think you should just bite the bullet and redo it. I can probably bust it open but I wont really have free time until this weekend to fool with it.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6 of 17, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

How many months are you prepared to set aside for this?

I believe how many billion years is more accurate to brute force 15 characters assuming a digit at the end and a capital at the beginning if we had no other input about the password 🤣

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 7 of 17, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I would imagine there are dictionary attack programs out there to crack rar files. The library files for unrar are available in c++ if not, so you can write it yourself or find someone willing.

You can then write a little script to dump a text file with your regular password and every variation of each character that could represent the typo to use as the dictionary. If it really is only a single character typo it'll be found in seconds. Beyond that the time to crack it would grow exponentially, but if you know the majority of the password its not unreasonable.

Edit: if its only a few hours of work I think you should just bite the bullet and redo it. I can probably bust it open but I wont really have free time until this weekend to fool with it.

Thanks for the offer, mate, but I have to post the report by Thursday, so I'll just redo everything tomorrow (unless anyone can suggest anything quick to try, of course), and be glad that I've learnt this lesson over something so trivial. Not that I ever actually handle important data, of course, but if I did and I lost it I'd be rather upset about now.

You say that cracking my password could potentially take billions of years, I had no idea it could take that long (so it probably wouldn't be done by Thursday!). I didn't realise that free or reasonably priced software could make archives that secure, I thought only the military, governments, etc, had access to really powerful encryption systems? Not that I'd trust the government with anything technical, of course...

Reply 8 of 17, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can try this: https://www.lostmypass.com/file-types/rar/
Or, if the RAR is created in older versions of RAR/WinRAR, there are older tools: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru& … 1698&edit-text=

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 10 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How is it that you mistyped the password twice? If I remember corretcly WinRAR asks for password confirmation, so you have to type it twice.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 11 of 17, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://crark.net/

The tested, tried and true utility for the job (and conveniently freeware also). Easy to use and can do exactly what you want it to do, that is, feed it your password and have it automatically try the extra character(s) that may have been mistyped in.

Reply 12 of 17, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure but how is the integrity of the RAR file? Is it still intact?

If the archive is corrupt somehow (like incomplete download, unsafe or too early unplugging of USB stick after copying), then it won't extract even if you entered the right password as it won't be able to decrypt contents that have a few bytes corrupted.

By the way, be careful with NTFS file compression. A few years ago (around Windows 7 and 8, I think) I discovered that my files on hard drives were plagued by that old and nasty bug, resulted in losses of access to quite a few of my old archives (encrypted or not). It seems disk defragmentation could be the culprit and since then I have ceased using the functionality that I've been using, when hard drive space were much scarce.

EDIT: You may need to test the tools or methods mentioned above, and if after all possible combinations have been tried (that is, after ruling out all the possible passwords you could have typed) but still couldn't open or extract the archive, it is very likely that the archive is corrupt.

Reply 13 of 17, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote:

WinRAR will by default tell you right away (upon attempting to open the file) whether or not it's integrity has been compromised, so unless he forgot to mention that tiny detail, I'd be inclined to believe it's very likely to be intact.

LSS10999 wrote:

If the archive is corrupt somehow (like incomplete download, unsafe or too early unplugging of USB stick after copying), then it won't extract even if you entered the right password as it won't be able to decrypt contents that have a few bytes corrupted.

Unless "Add recovery record" has been checked prior to archiving; In this case the file can take quite a bit of damage but WinRAR will still be able to undo it with it's built-in "Repair" functionality.

Reply 14 of 17, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

How is it that you mistyped the password twice? If I remember corretcly WinRAR asks for password confirmation, so you have to type it twice.

No, it definitely didn't ask me for password verification. It was on my mate's laptop, which was why I used WinRAR instead of 7Zip (7Zip does require you to enter the password twice), and maybe it was an old version of WinRAR, I don't know (though if anyone is genuinely interested then I can find out what version of WinRAR it was).

LSS10999, I'm 99.9% sure 7Zip (which I used to try to extract the archive) does tell you if an archive is corrupt, I do recall several instances of that in the past.

Anyway, I gave up and just redid the work (it wasn't difficult, just tedious, and I'm not sure anyone ever reads them anyway, moan moan), so thanks for all of the suggestions everyone, this is a great forum.

Reply 15 of 17, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote:
No, it definitely didn't ask me for password verification. It was on my mate's laptop, which was why I used WinRAR instead of 7Z […]
Show full quote
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

No, it definitely didn't ask me for password verification. It was on my mate's laptop, which was why I used WinRAR instead of 7Zip (7Zip does require you to enter the password twice), and maybe it was an old version of WinRAR, I don't know (though if anyone is genuinely interested then I can find out what version of WinRAR it was).

LSS10999, I'm 99.9% sure 7Zip (which I used to try to extract the archive) does tell you if an archive is corrupt, I do recall several instances of that in the past.

Anyway, I gave up and just redid the work (it wasn't difficult, just tedious, and I'm not sure anyone ever reads them anyway, moan moan), so thanks for all of the suggestions everyone, this is a great forum.

DosDaddy wrote:
WinRAR will by default tell you right away (upon attempting to open the file) whether or not it's integrity has been compromised […]
Show full quote
LSS10999 wrote:

WinRAR will by default tell you right away (upon attempting to open the file) whether or not it's integrity has been compromised, so unless he forgot to mention that tiny detail, I'd be inclined to believe it's very likely to be intact.

LSS10999 wrote:

Unless "Add recovery record" has been checked prior to archiving; In this case the file can take quite a bit of damage but WinRAR will still be able to undo it with it's built-in "Repair" functionality.

I think depending on where the corruption happens and how many bytes corrupted, the archive manager may not always detect corruptions. If the header got corrupted, the file could not be opened; if the end got corrupted, some archive managers like WinRAR may detect and report; but corruptions within archived data may not be detected until actual extraction takes place. And given the nature of encryption, the archive manager could not tell if the resulted CRC mismatch is due to incorrect password or actual data corruption.

I recall when downloading some encrypted archives from some unreliable connection (that tend to end the download stream incorrectly leaving some bytes incomplete or corrupt), the archive manager (WinRAR) didn't immediately tell me something was wrong with the archives, just that I couldn't extract them even with right password. The errors were the same as having typed the wrong password, CRC mismatch (wrong password?), so at one time I suspected the password might be wrong. But after redownloading them from a more stable connection, I was able to successfully extract them with the same password, implying the previous downloads were indeed incomplete for some reasons.

Anyway, it's good to hear the issue wasn't so serious, just again, take great care when handling archives especially encrypted ones.

Reply 16 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CRC is often what's used to detect corruption. Of course, this has no capability of repair so redundant data needs to then be added.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 17, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beware of 'solid' archives BTW. They are more tightly compressed, but if there is data corruption you will lose more of the data than with a regular archive.

I always use external PAR files for redundancy (c. 15%) with WinRAR archives. I've never used the recovery volume option. I assume the two are equivalent?

Is this too much voodoo?