VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know the current state of things over there but in the past GOG has always had a pretty good reputation for adding missing content, additional versions of a game, etc. for titles that they've released.

Has there ever been any collaboration between the collectors here at Vogons who might have rare or difficult to find versions of certain games sold on GOG so that they may be archived and not potentially forever lost to time?

Some examples might be games that had separate Tandy versions or differing re-releases from other publishers - Ultima 2's Sierra vs Origin comes to mind, as one an example

Reply 1 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
infiniteclouds wrote:

GOG has always had a pretty good reputation for adding missing content, additional versions of a game, etc. for titles that they've released.

I haven't seen that. They usually mutilate only the latest releases and slip in wrappers, emulators, and other modifications and present them as fixed modern versions.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 13, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course their priority has always been 'run on modern systems' but they have done things after the fact like add the .exe for Indy Last Crusade so it can be run outside of SCUMMVM (though they only have the 256 color .exe available), add the option to download the 1.2v of CotAB (1.3 having title music removed). They've even expanded outside of DOS adding the Macintosh version of Defender of the Crown. I've also seen them add things like Cluebooks to the "Goodies" downloads as well.

I suspect that typically they are happy to add such things but they aren't going to go out of their way to track them down. Usually they are contributed by folks -- which is why I'm asking here.

Reply 3 of 13, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I haven't seen that. They usually mutilate only the latest releases and slip in wrappers, emulators, and other modifications and present them as fixed modern versions.

Some examples of games with multiple versions:
- X-Wing, Tie-Fighter: Once you bought it, you can download the '95 (Windows 95, hi-res, no iMuse), the CD (DOS, hi-res, iMuse) or the floppy (DOS, lo-res, iMuse) version.
- Hotline Miami: You can choose the Windows version or the (demaked?) DOS version.
- Baldur's gate (both): You buy the enhanced version, but can download the original versions.

On the other hand, they always lack on the international versions (i.e: ther was a spanish dubbed version of Stunt Island, I've got the original spanish CDs of X-Wing Alliance). Also, they never hid the fact that their games use emulators, wrappers, fixes or even cracked executables (Re-Volt) to play their games on modern systems. Their goal is allow the users to play their games in modern systems without unnecessary harassment.

At least they give proper credit to the people who created the fixes (DOSBox, etc) and their games work... look at Steam, where you can buy games that maybe won't work on your computer (i.e: Eurofighter Typhoon has troubles even in Windows 7) or won't work at all (i.e.: Insaniquarium, Luxor).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They also often if not always use Qbix's help/consultation/approval with the releases and even pay him for that.
If they care to understand what he says is a different thing though... 😉

Reply 5 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I helped with a few troublesome games in the past,
but I haven't helped/consulted/approved anything in a very long time.(years)

So calling it "often" is a bit of stretch 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 13, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qjimbo wrote:

The impression I get is that GOG has a harder time with licensing rather than actually obtaining the games files.

They pulled some pretty impressive magic in acquiring the rights for the SSI titles for themselves.

Reply 8 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

They did awesome stuff for the Ultimas. Scans of the clue books, development notes, original plot stuff etc... and all that came from fans, probably a lot from ghe Origin Museum itself 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 13, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I am going to give it a shot by sending them 5.25" disk images of my newly purchased copy of Pools of Radiance -- which they actually own the rights to now. Can anyone suggest a good program for making perfect images of these disks? They use .ARC files and PKUNPAK.

Reply 10 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't think GOG owned the rights to any games..... They have agreements with the publishers which allow them to distribute the games. If you want to share stuff with GOG then talk to GOG.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 13, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

I didn't think GOG owned the rights to any games..... They have agreements with the publishers which allow them to distribute the games. If you want to share stuff with GOG then talk to GOG.....

Yes, they have agreements with many publishers but they own the SSI titles.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-gog-rescued-13-fo … licensing-hell/

With the trail running cold, GOG tracked down SSI’s original President and founder, Joel Billings. “As a huge fan of D&D he was willing to help walk us through a detailed history behind SSI mergers and narrow the search down to two potential candidates: Mattel, or Gores Technology Group (who had acquired The Learning Company). The latter was a hit. We had found the actual rights owners to the Forgotten Realms games, and after several more months of negotiations, they agreed to sell them to us outright.”

Sadly, I've just discovered that my DISK B has errors -- still for future reference I'm interested in recommendations. I've found IMG2DSK to be the most reliable for copying images TO floppies but I'm not sure what program to use to create images off of disks.

Reply 12 of 13, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try DDRESCUE if you have a Linux or Mac OSX machine around. It can do magic for reading bad disks.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13 of 13, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Try DDRESCUE if you have a Linux or Mac OSX machine around. It can do magic for reading bad disks.

It could very well be the 5.25" drive. Disk A did take nearly nearly 30 minutes to unpack all of its contents before the installer prompted Disk B.