VOGONS

Common searches

Miss America "will no longer judge competitors on physical appearance" (seriously)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For anyone who still thinks the world makes sense :

"The Miss America beauty pageant is scrapping its swimwear segment and will no longer judge competitors on physical appearance.

The evening gown section is also being axed, with contestants asked to wear something that makes them feel good and expresses their personal style instead.

Former winner Gretchen Carson broke the news on ABC's Good Morning America.

"We will no longer judge our candidates on their outwards, physical appearance. That's huge," she said."

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44370240

So a beauty contest won't be judged on the competitors' physical appearance? Doesn't that totally miss the point of the whole thing?

Anyway, next year I'm entering the world Chess championship. I'm not great at the game, but presumably they'll be politically correct and judge me on my asthma and my favourite flavour of crisps, so fingers crossed I could be the next Chess world champion!

Reply 2 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In todays world it's not supposed to make sense and if you try to argue you'll be accused of being a "insert whatever here" to shut you down so best not to comment on it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 33, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And viewership and ratings will drop to an all-time low.. but as of the last few years, no "mainstream" network TV station has really cared about that. They just want to push their "politically correct" agenda which has lost them more and more viewers and ratings are in the tanks.. so I guess it doesn't matter much at all until they go bankrupt. And that would actually be a good thing at this point.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Who watches that anyway? Are you really turned on by often barely legal women in swimsuits? Is that the reason you watch it? phew...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 33, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

And viewership and ratings will drop to an all-time low.. but as of the last few years, no "mainstream" network TV station has really cared about that. They just want to push their "politically correct" agenda which has lost them more and more viewers and ratings are in the tanks.. so I guess it doesn't matter much at all until they go bankrupt. And that would actually be a good thing at this point.

Network channels want to make money. Taking away the swimsuit and eveningwear segments means no mainstream channel will air the show. Those contests were all about Physical beauty and nothing else.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9 of 33, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of them are minors (under 18), which can cause a controversy if a guy at least 18 years old either:

a) makes comments
b) would think they can do it (illegal in every state)
c) commit rape crimes (actually happens to females everyday)

I understand why they want to change a few things here and there.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10 of 33, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kerr Avon wrote:

"The Miss America beauty pageant is scrapping its swimwear segment and will no longer judge competitors on physical appearance.

This is so yesterday!

But seriously, as long as we're on the topic of PC stuff, I find this thing even more "controversial":

Is the FAA sacrificing your safety for diversity?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh9SxqsQdpo

I find it hilarious that the best air traffic controllers nowadays are supposedly those with less qualification.
But it could be that I'm just a relic from the last millennium (no pun intended), just as my cherished machines.

Last edited by 0kool on 2018-06-07, 03:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 33, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, what a "novel" concept! Let's focus on "inner beauty" and kiss the ratings goodbye!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 12 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not having read the article, I would suspect their ratings have been tanking anyway. There's a lot of competition for vapid beauty contests these days.

Unknown_K wrote:

Network channels want to make money. Taking away the swimsuit and eveningwear segments means no mainstream channel will air the show. Those contests were all about Physical beauty and nothing else.

Of course, there's no way they could ever move in a slightly different direction. It's not like there aren't talent shows on network television.

gallery-1477868248-giphy-7.gif

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 33, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

The internet is killing this kind of thing anyway. If you want to see pretty girls, go to YouTube.

Or, uh, other sites. Like Vogons. Skeletor is a pretty girl.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17 of 33, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
Errius wrote:

The internet is killing this kind of thing anyway. If you want to see pretty girls, go to YouTube.

Or, uh, other sites. Like Vogons. Skeletor is a pretty girl.

Girls in vogons? 😲

🤣

badmojo wrote:

No complaints here, I'd prefer my daughters grew up in a world where this leery, outdated BS is questioned.

I totally agree with that.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 18 of 33, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

No complaints here, I'd prefer my daughters grew up in a world where this leery, outdated BS is questioned.

also a world where women can walk in public without getting catcalled

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 19 of 33, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Who watches that anyway? Are you really turned on by often barely legal women in swimsuits? Is that the reason you watch it? phew...

I've never watched a beauty contest at all, and I don't tend to fancy women like the beauty queens or fashion models anyway. And if beauty contests were stopped because people didn't want to watch them or appear in them then fine, but what I object to is that this is yet another instance of political correctness over-riding common sense and logic. How can a 'beauty' contest be judged on non-beauty based attributes? It's no longer a beauty contest then. You might as well tell the competitors in the Tour De France cycling race that they can use their cars if they like.

It's the same sort of brain-dead PC rubbish that claimed it was wrong to use the word 'blackboard' in British classrooms in case anyone found it racist and was offended by it, but you were still allowed to say 'whiteboard', of course - in England political correctness only applies to minorities (or women, who are actually the majority, but then you don't expect common sense or reason from the PC fanatics).

badmojo wrote:

Er, first of all, the women who enter these contests actually WANT to do so, no one's holding a gun to their heads. Most beautiful women are vain to an extent, and most young women in general go to quite a lot of effort and time to look as good as they can, because they like to be admired by men. Changing a 'beauty' contest won't change womens' desire to be noticed, nor will it stop men looking at, and being attracted to, women.

And why is it now considered, by the politically correct, to be 'leery' for a man to look at a woman, but those same politically correct people wouldn't dream of calling a women looking a man 'leery' (even if it's a bunch of drunk women on a hen-night screaming happily at a naked male stripper), or, OH NO! a gay man looking in appreciation at another man?

Basically, political correctness now means:

Male = bad, potential rapist, pervert, misogynist (unless he's black, gay, or a muslim, in which case he's above criticism)

Female = good, noble, pure, incapable of doing wrong.