Common searches

Reply 120 of 1023, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Don't know how to classify this, as a retro or modern activity. But I installed WinAmp 5.8 on my Windows 10 Enterprise VM, along with the classic skin running on it. Oh, memories...

I also still use winamp today, and I don't see any need to change that 😀 it really whips the llama's ass.

For sure!

Attachments

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 121 of 1023, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

ayy are you on freenode?

Hey! Nope... I used to be on brazilian networks almost daily when I was a kid (BrasNET and/or BrasIRC). Never been on Freenode. I might as well go there later, since BrasNET is dead and BrasIRC is now almost empty.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 122 of 1023, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JonathonWyble wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Yeah, we might need a new topic for both. (lol)

If we were to create a new topic like that, maybe we could call it "What modern activity (along with a retro situation) did you get up to today?" 🤣

Nah, I don't think we would need a thread like that, we already have this modern tech thread and the retro tech thread for posting our computing fun.

Hahahahaha I see what you did there 😉

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 123 of 1023, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So today I pumped up my epeen some more by replacing some CAT 6 wiring with multimode fiber duplex. Slapped a quad port 10GB nic on my Linux router and put that bad boy in switch mode. Inserted a copper module and a fiber module to connect my NAS/VM server and workstation. And another copper module to connect the 10GB switch card back to the router and 1G switch. Put a 10GB nic in my workstation and now I'm enjoying 1.21jiggabyes transfers. Noice!

Reply 124 of 1023, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

ayy are you on freenode?

Hey! Nope... I used to be on brazilian networks almost daily when I was a kid (BrasNET and/or BrasIRC). Never been on Freenode. I might as well go there later, since BrasNET is dead and BrasIRC is now almost empty.

@oeuvre: Which IRC server is #Vogons in? I tried irc.freenode.net but the channel not only is empty, I have the impression that I am still in the brazilian server.

Anyway, this weekend I just reinstalled Raspbian on my rPi3 and changed from PIXEL desktop to XFCE, then installed a Chicago95 theme so it would look like Windows 95. So far so good - I just don’t have lightDM greeter and boot logo because the theme requires WebKit greeter version and I have GTK greeter, and for some reason I don’t have the boot logo on. I also set up a FakeISP script so any dosbox on my network without the NE2000 patch using Win 3.x could connect using Trumpet. For GMail on Outlook, I set up stunnel with different ports to downgrade the protocols used there. So far so good. I wonder if there is any browser for raspbian on XFCE that could be skinned to look more like older IE or Netscape on 95 theme.

Planning to play a bit of SimTower on my iPad with DOSPad before going to sleep tonight.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 125 of 1023, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There isn't a #vogons AFAIK but on freenode there are a few retro channels around like #oldx86hardware and #classiccmp

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 126 of 1023, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got Full Tilt! Pinball to work on my Windows 10 desktop. I'm also facing issues with MIDI playback as when I open up said MID file, Windows Media Player would open for a couple of seconds, lock up, and close out. Media Player Classic crashes as well. Drivers are good, the MIDI was set to Microsoft GM/GS MIDI correctly, and currently running SFC /SCANNOW via Command Prompt. I have the Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 Surround USB sound card installed. I'd like to get a PCI-e Sound Blaster, but, the video card is blocking the PCi-e 1x port below it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 127 of 1023, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I woke up thinking about opening a thread here to discuss all things webdesign. Techniques, trends, code snippets, and also discuss about retro compatibility for websites and about the "abuse of libraries/frameworks" some developers these days actually do. I just don't know in which forum zone I should post this and if there are some ppl interested in this subject - I actually believe that we have some web developers here in this forum...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 128 of 1023, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today was my first day of computer programming / video game design class at vocational training, something that all schools (including mine) have, and we learned a bit on how to make a small and basic computer game in a programming language called BlitzPlus. It was a pretty interesting. I still have the code for the small semi-game I made, which you can see here:

;September 4, 2019, My Custom Program

Print "Let's play this game!"

prize%=30

Print "You have earned " + prize% + " prize. "

height#=8.0

Print "You are " + height# + " feet tall."

rivalname$=" The Revenger"

playername$=Input$("Who are you gonna play as?")

Print playername$ + " is about to defeat" + rivalname$

confirmdesc$=Input$("Are you ready to play?")

Print "All right! Let's do this!"

;Wait for five seconds
Delay 5000

I'm kinda proud of myself for making this script, even it may look a little amateur wise 😀

Last edited by JonathonWyble on 2019-09-05, 03:30. Edited 1 time in total.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 130 of 1023, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Fix your unmatched parentheses! Also, mazal tov on your first program!

Oh, I see what you meant by "unmatched parentheses". I just forgot to add the second one. I just fixed it now, so it should look a little better.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 131 of 1023, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to take a challenge today, I wanted to make a retrocompatible version of my own modern website. The main goal is to render it an (ALMOST) exact copy of the modern version on IE5.0/WFWG 3.11. Now, I took this challenge because I wanted to remind me of the old days when I started doing this, the struggle (real), and also curious to see how the 2019 Bruninho would do it against the 1996 Bruninho... You can all call me crazy now 😁

Another reason is that I am fed up of using frameworks, libraries, jQuery, so many things that I have to use to make ultra-mega-blazing-awesome effects for an website, when I know that I can achieve similar results just with CSS alone and little vanilla JS when required. Even if I fail it will be good for me, to take the dust off my coding skills from the old days and to make me an even better webdev, remind some old techniques and how I evolved my skills throughout that time. Consider it an exercise/training to get back in good shape. If I have success, well, then there will be a way to make modern sites work again on vintage machines. I mean, even Bootstrap guys are going to replace their jQuery code with vanilla JS for version 5.0!

I guess that I can also consider doing a new, completely different design, to achieve this goal, using some modern ideas I had in the last days. I know IE5 has very, very little support to some of the CSS we use today, but I have a good trick: older browsers can just render the mobile stripped down version of my website and it's fine. Just like CNN does with the mobile version of their latest news page created for low bandwidth usage and for situations like natural disasters...

Think I can do it? Hell, nothing will stop me, I have even got the header looking almost an exact copy last night 😀

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 132 of 1023, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fixed a couple of my 80mm computer case fans as the fans were either making a noise or when the computer shuts off, the fan clunks. Took them apart, cleaned the bearing shaft on the fans, sprayed PB Blaster and White Lithium grease in the hole where the bearing shaft is at and 2 of them barely spun or didn't spin up with power applied, but the other one worked just fine. Adjusted the one fan and it works, and the other one has a missing clip now as the clip sprang up and cannot be found (plastic one). Might go to a hardware store to see if there are any plastic clips around and fix that fan. Reason I need 3 fans is because the GPU takes a lot of heat (on average with the fans, I get 43-46C, without, past 50C).

Reply 134 of 1023, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
beastlike wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:

Today was my first day of computer programming / video game design class

Congrats, good luck, and have fun!

Yeah, it is pretty fun. For now we're just learning some basics on how to create a basic game in BlitzPlus, but later on it gets a little more exhilarating.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 136 of 1023, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just saw Apples Keynote for the new iPhone. It was the worst ever I saw since 2007. The “new” iPhone design with three cameras is terrible. I will keep the X model and maybe move to XR in the future just to stay with only one camera. I don’t use my phone to take selfies and photos for instagram everyday.

Bad, bad move from Apple. They just lost their mojo, finally. It took years since Jobs death for this to happen. I knew this day would come. Tim Cook must go if he does not put Apple back on the rails.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 138 of 1023, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the fans are making a noise again and they need to get replaced and add another one for the two HDDs in my main desktop.

Reply 139 of 1023, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed 3 new fans to my system and the other two fans that I thought sounded terrible are working, so I have 5 fans circulating the air (1 for the HDDs blowing in, bottom of the case up front blowing in, side of the case blowing in, 2 in the rear blowing out). Temperatures are pretty stable.