User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Calvero wrote:

Pinball Fantasies can run on a 286.

Hm. I will have to try it then!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 21 of 28, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Should also mention Llamatron 2112 if you want a dose of utter mental insanity with your shooting. Quality stuff. 😉

Never heard of Llamatron! But there were some weird games out there back in the day... I remember Lamers (Lemmings clone)...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 22 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

it's interesting how few games made use of VGA hardware scrolling to alleviate a bit the CPU load. Pinball Fantasies/Dreams come to mind, but they were 386+ as well.

Probably one of the earliest 'smooth' shmups I can think of that fits this bill is Tubular Worlds, but that's 1994 (very much pushing the period here)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 23 of 28, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some not mentioned yet:

Defender
Stargate (Defender 2)
Striker
StarRay
Centipede
Sky Shark
P47 Thunderbolt
Menace
Blood Money
Dragon Spirit
Ajax
Sidearms Hyperdyne
Uridium
Forgotten Worlds
Raiden

Best versions, besides Arcade, were mostly on home computers and consoles of the era.

Reply 24 of 28, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know I've ran Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom on my 286. The same creators also made The Rift and Return of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom, but I don't know if they run on a 286.

Also, how could I forget about SideWinder, when I mentioned Major Stryker? They share some graphics.

There's also If it Moves, Shoot it!

And there's a list of Scrolling shoot 'em ups on MobyGames.

Reply 25 of 28, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Probably one of the earliest 'smooth' shmups I can think of that fits this bill is Tubular Worlds, but that's 1994 (very much pushing the period here)

There's Battlestorm from Titus (1991) - http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/battlestorm

The smoothness is probably why I liked it at the time, because it doesn't have very much else going for it, especially if you compare it to the Amiga version. Still sort of fun (and not easy).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 26 of 28, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:
leileilol wrote:

There's Battlestorm from Titus (1991) - http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/battlestorm

The smoothness is probably why I liked it at the time, because it doesn't have very much else going for it, especially if you compare it to the Amiga version. Still sort of fun (and not easy).

Never heard of that one! Nice find!

Edit: oh dear. The Amiga version looks sooooo much better! And to think that the VGA version *could* look so much more colorful...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 27 of 28, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, not sure why the VGA graphics came out that dull, but it's the audio that really makes it an embarrassing comparison. No digital sound, and even the Adlib detection is buggy, so most people just got a soundtrack of delightful BEEEEEPs.
But then that's the story of Amiga vs. PC back then in a nutshell 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]