How much $ did you spend in Steam?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 34, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About $2600 USD.

I'd estimate about half of that was in the last two years just for VR games.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 23 of 34, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Zero for me as well.

JayCeeBee64 wrote:

I refuse to do business with online entities that force me to install a client with DRM, no matter how good the prices are, how unique or desirable the content is, or how benign and fair they claim to be 😠 .

Same. I extend this to all digital distribution platforms (iTunes, Kindle, etc.). I won't pay for bits unless those bits come on a durable physical medium. Too easy to lose them otherwise. And in the case of online DRM, I can't stomach the thought of losing access to media I ostensibly own just because the distributor decided to pull the plug for whatever reason. I actually bought an Xbox and later an Xbox 360 largely so I could play Half-Life 2 without having to deal with Steam.

In fact, the shift to digital distribution was a big part of what pushed me toward retro gaming. (That and nostalgia, of course 😁 ). Can't beat picking up old games on CD-ROM for between $1 and $4 at Goodwill.

PCGames9505

Reply 24 of 34, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maximus wrote:

And in the case of online DRM, I can't stomach the thought of losing access to media I ostensibly own just because the distributor decided to pull the plug for whatever reason.

This is why I view digital distribution as an extended rental rather than "owning" anything.

And especially so with gaming media where hardware obsolescence, media degradation and changing platforms can make the original software non-functional anyway. At least not without effort to either maintain old hardware and software platforms, and/or emulation on more modern systems.

The other consideration is that cost per game on Steam can be far below the traditional cost of games on physical media. If I'm only paying $5 or $10 for games in many instances, I'm not going to be too broken up over not retaining them forever. They're basically the price of a rental.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 25 of 34, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 2.21.35 pm.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 2.21.35 pm.png
File size
46.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Erm, not sure if this is a bad omen or not. 😜

Was surprised it's so little actually... there are a few games on there I bought elsewhere which gave me Steam keys, so the 'full' total would be a bit higher (not much.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 26 of 34, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

What is this "Steam" people keeps talking about?

Its that smoke that comes from boiling water.

Also ~$1800.

I'd say 1/2 of that was TF2 purchases over 10 years.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 28 of 34, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

$9.29
I've only bought a few MS-DOS games that were not available on GOG and HL2 and its addons that were recently on a steep discount. The DOS games are played on my real MS-DOS PC, so I don't count them as DRM games. 😉 Only HL2 is a DRM game, and I'm cool with that.
edit: Steam games are 1942: The Pacific Air War ($1.74), Commander Keen Complete Pack ($2.49), Realms of Arkania Trilogy ($2.49), and Half-Life 2 plus Episodes 1 and 2 for $2.57. Yes, I'm a tightwad and will wait months for a sale if I have to.

In contrast, I've spent $343.43 at GOG over the past 2.5 years. That got me 226 games for an average of $1.54 per game. I'm not sure I've ever bought a game that was not on sale, and of those 226 games, 45 were free. So of the 181 games that I paid for, I still only paid an average of $1.90 per game.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 29 of 34, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another zero here, but some low 3-digit number on GOG.
I don't like to rent, I like to buy and own. It helps of course that I'm not playing latest AAA titles, as there's no choice for those.

Reply 30 of 34, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

$45.49
But the real number is higher. Add $20 for retail Skyrim, another $20 for retail Skyrim Legendary (which I still haven't even activated/linked yet), and whatever I paid for a Humble Bundle deal on several other games.
So the real total is close to $100.

It wasn't until the last few years that I finally started buying games online. It happened because of Skyrim, which gave me no choice. In those early days, I made the mistake of using Steam for some games that I really should have bought on GoG or browsed eBay for.

But I corrected my habits later, and by now I think I've spent more with GoG than with Steam.

Reply 31 of 34, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whatever DOOM 2017 cost for steam, under $100 for GOG. I don't like buying digital games nor do I play new games much.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 32 of 34, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

$770 on Steam itself, about a couple thousand more on keys and such, whole account is worth like $7k.

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 33 of 34, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$549.11

Could be worse...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 34 of 34, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USD 17.09 -- Most games I have bought years ago with Humble Bundle. Also, Elite Dangerous was external purchase, that I got redeemed in Steam.

Attachments

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC