VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, all.

A while back I was finally able to acquire a like-new copy of Street Counter, the South Korean release of Super Fighter. It's super-de-duper rare and in fact I only ever saw evidence of one copy --> the one I eventually bought. Took quite some time as the first time I had a friend contact the owner, there was no response. Flash forward a few years later, I decided to try again, and this time the guy was receptive to selling.

Miraculously all the 5¼" floppies worked perfectly so I was able to make a successful backup! W0w. It's based on the (also limited) English release from Australia, with a few changes. Notably, to make the USA fighter "Bullet" be from South Korea, and with a new name. Came with a Korean-language manual, albeit in black and white instead of the original color one, and new box art.

If you love DOS games, please download it and have a go on your DOS machine or in DOSBox...

* Full game, installed:
www.diskman.com/presents/supersango/downloads/street_counter.zip

* Disk images (in both WinImage and HD-COPY format):
www.diskman.com/presents/supersango/downloads/street_counter_-_disk_images.zip

* Instruction manual (Korean):
www.diskman.com/presents/supersango/downloads/Street_Counter_-_instruction_manual_(Korean).pdf

...or just download the attachment(s).

DOS Games Archive also hosts the original Chinese and English language versions of the game, as well as a prototype test build that I was given by C&E.

(Note I own the legal rights to this game, so it's not "piracy." Enjoy it guilt-free.)

Thanks for having a look.

Attachments

• Filename
    street_counter.zip
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File comment
    Street Counter
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    street_counter_-_disk_images.zip
    File size
    2.95 MiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File comment
    Street Counter disk images: WinImage and HD-Copy format
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by DeathAdderSF on 2021-05-18, 10:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Reply 1 of 16, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait, do I understand this correctly? You found the owner of the game and bought the rights from him? And now you are sharing it for free with the world?

Not that I'm not appreciative, but how does this work, exactly? I see you also offer Keen Dreams for Android for free. What is Super Fighter Team's business model? Or are you a non-profit organization?

Reply 2 of 16, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoops! Sorry for taking so long to reply to you, but I hadn't noticed your post until just the other day. 🙁

digger wrote on 2018-08-28, 23:00:

Wait, do I understand this correctly? You found the owner of the game and bought the rights from him? And now you are sharing it for free with the world?

Correct. I'll spare the details here, but if you're interested in the whole story I've prepared quite an interesting [?] write-up here...

www.diskman.com/presents/supersango

I see you also offer Keen Dreams for Android for free.

Sure! We licensed Keen Dreams from the IP holder, and developed our own Android version internally. I did the lion's share of QC testing on a Nokia N9 running Nitdroid. It was fun.

What is Super Fighter Team's business model?

Producing and releasing new games for classic systems. Some are commercial products, others are completely free. We've been doing this officially since 2004.

Reply 3 of 16, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, I forgot about my reply here, almost two years ago now. 😅

An entertaining and touching story. Thanks for sharing it, and for preserving this unique piece of PC gaming history for the world to enjoy.

Now that you have the source code to these games as well, would you consider developing native ports to other patforms as well? I know the original versions run under DOSBox, but porting can be a fun and interesting excercise.

Reply 5 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's always nice to see liberated computer game.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 16, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-07-26, 08:42:

An entertaining and touching story.

I'm glad you enjoyed the read, and thanks for the compliment.

digger wrote on 2020-07-26, 08:42:

Now that you have the source code to these games as well, would you consider developing native ports to other patforms as well?

From x86 assembly?! 😮 That could get a little manic...

That's not to say we haven't done anything with these games beyond the scope of DOS. We developed new, unique versions of Super Fighter and Tough Guy for Windows, which are also both available as FREE downloads. Each offers a lot of additions, updates, and improvements over the originals, without drastically changing their own natural "forumulas."

Reply 7 of 16, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible for you to upload the original (unaltered) disk images ?
And do you have a photo of the box and contents (eg: floppy's, booklet, feelies etc.)

I'm sure a couple of guys here are dying to examine them 😁

Reply 8 of 16, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Akuma wrote on 2020-07-27, 19:24:

Why it sure is! Would have done this sooner, but it turns out I never made a backup of the disk images! 😳
I had to go back and redo them this evening. Thankfully all 4 floppies are still in perfect working order!

Direct download link in first post.

And do you have a photo of the box and contents (eg: floppy's, booklet, feelies etc.)

I have full high-quality scans of the box and manual on hand, but haven't properly organized them yet. Will get to that... eventually... and post them here at that time.

Thanks for your interest!

Last edited by DeathAdderSF on 2020-11-07, 09:07. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9 of 16, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DeathAdderSF wrote on 2020-11-06, 01:02:
Why it sure is! Would have done this sooner, but it turns out I never made a backup of the disk images! O_O I had to go back and […]
Show full quote

Why it sure is! Would have done this sooner, but it turns out I never made a backup of the disk images! 😳
I had to go back and redo them this evening. Thankfully all 4 floppies are still in perfect working order!

Here's the direct download link...

http://www.diskman.com/presents/supersango/do … disk_images.zip

I have full high-quality scans of the box and manual on hand, but haven't properly organized them yet. Will get to that... eventually... and post them here at that time.

Thanks for your interest!

Well now you have 😃 and we do too 😄 ,
thank you very much: this is awesome!

Reply 11 of 16, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Akuma wrote on 2020-11-06, 09:00:

What program did you use to image ? All the ones I have fail 😒

I used Oliver Fromme's HD-COPY. That's the program I casually use to make images of disks w/o copy protection.
I always assumed it was using a "standard" imaging format, but I just tried opening them in WinImage, and... nope! 🙁
Well, that's annoying. Which DOS-based imaging program should I be using, to ensure the files are universally compatible?

Reply 12 of 16, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DeathAdderSF wrote on 2020-11-06, 10:47:
I used Oliver Fromme's HD-COPY. That's the program I casually use to make images of disks w/o copy protection. I always assumed […]
Show full quote
Akuma wrote on 2020-11-06, 09:00:

What program did you use to image ? All the ones I have fail 😒

I used Oliver Fromme's HD-COPY. That's the program I casually use to make images of disks w/o copy protection.
I always assumed it was using a "standard" imaging format, but I just tried opening them in WinImage, and... nope! 🙁
Well, that's annoying. Which DOS-based imaging program should I be using, to ensure the files are universally compatible?

Let me wave a white flag here! 🏳️ -> HELP WANTED, PRESERVATION EXPERT NEEDED <-

Reply 13 of 16, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Akuma wrote on 2020-11-06, 11:34:

Let me wave a white flag here! 🏳️ -> HELP WANTED, PRESERVATION EXPERT NEEDED <-

No, that's OK. I did a little reading and discovered that older versions of WinImage can run under Windows 3.1 + Win32s. So I installed Win32s + WinImage 5.0 on my 486, dug out the floppy disks again, and imaged them again. 😜

All download links have been updated in this thread (refer to the first post), so please re-download and enjoy. Sorry for the headache.

Last edited by DeathAdderSF on 2020-11-07, 09:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 16, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Akuma wrote on 2020-11-06, 15:53:

I would recommend that you place all downloads in your first post.

Good idea! Done.

Reply 16 of 16, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've (finally!) finished making high-quality scans of the Street Counter instruction manual. Download link in the first post. 😁