VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello everyone,

Just noticed some news regarding old computher-themed TV shows..

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/303 … shows-to-stream

I'm not from the UK/GB, but I think that's interesting nevertheless.

Especially, because the sample programs *apparently* can be tried out!

In fact, I think some of these old educationall shows are better thought out than what we have now.

Well. that's left of it..

Isn't it kinda ironic that we live in a digital world, but get no more educational TV shows about that topic ? 😉

As if everyone is expected to know how to behave on the internet of today or how to use it..
Judging by the comments on YT, forums and the increasing amount of false news,
it wouldn't hurt if one or two TV shows would teach users how to to distinguish what's real and fake
or would make them more sensible to such kind of topics.

I mean, knowledge about computers and the internet is more relevant than ever, isn't it ?

(And no, special programme about scandals on Fa**book and alikes do not qualify as educational TV shows. 😁
What I mean are shows that keep you up-to-date about technology, explain its technical backgrounds and teach you how to use it.)

Anyway, I hope the news interests some of you.

I just hope that BBC archive is free to visitors from all over the world!

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 2, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't it kinda ironic that we live in a digital world, but get no more educational TV shows about that topic ? 😉

Thats the big thing we’ve lost in modern computing- we all use computers but less people are expected to know how to program them. Programming isn’t for everyone, but it needs to be more accessible than it is. The same way Music and Art is tought universally, even though not everyone will be a world famous artist, Coding needs the same approach.

Computers like the raspberry pi make good strides towards encouraging coding in youth, but we still have a way to go.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 2 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for your reply!
I agree on what you said about the Pi.

When I was little, there were no such things on the market (ok, 805x, maybe. But programmers were insanely expensive).
Best we've had were some construction kits with 4-Bit teaching computers (Busch Microtronic 2090; very crude)
or electronic constructions kits with an optional A/D converter (Kosmos hitec; for LPT port+Win3x).

When I made my first steps with µC I learned about the Microchip PICs, especially the PIC16C84, which is deprecated now
(though there were also PIC16F84 and PIC16F84A; both were fully compatible and were also made as low-power and high-frequency models).

It seems like no one is using PICs anymore, but AVRs from Atmel (now part of Microchip ?).
You know, ATTiny and ATMega series. The Arduino is also based off them (The Uno uses ATmega328P, but some folks use a Tiny85 also).

For simple projects, the ATTinys 13/25/45/85 seem to be quite popular still.
My local electronics shop just started to add them to its stock.
At first, they had two or three types only, now they have 8, at least. In addition to several Megas.

I ask them about PICs and they said these were "dead". Sad. 🙁
I wonder why, though. Microchip is live and sound. Why do they give up their original line of µCs ?
If I browse the web for some cute little projects that interests me, I often end up with some sites from the 2000s.
Which, of course, used them.. This makes me wonder: Maybe their will be a "Retro Maker" sceene at some point ? 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//