VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've opened this thread about an old gamepad I'd like to restore. If I can't repair it, I'd like to buy a new gamepad with this features:

- Non sliding grips. My Xbox 360 controller tends to slide when I sweat.
- It has to support XInput and DInput natively, so it works with every game I've got.
- I'd like to have sticks and trigger with a feel slightly harder than standard Xbox ones.

I don't care if it's wired or wireless. What brand/model of gamepad would you recommend?

Thanks.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Logitech F310 (wired) or F710 (wireless).

Current good gamepads for the PC have been severely limited nowadays. Usually it's either down to these or Microsoft's very popular Xbox360 for Windows and now XboxOne controllers.

Razer = overpriced. Always overpriced.

Thrustmaster also produces good gamepads, iinm.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Logitech hardware is overrated. Keyboards and mouses are fine, but not better than other (cheaper) brands; the last Logitech gamepad I had broke too soon (on the other hands, Thrustmaster and Microsoft pads have proven to be almost indestructible). I won't say that Logitech hardware is bad (they make good hardware) but it's surely overrated.

Razer gamepads looks fine (but I'd like to put one in my hands before buying) but as you said, they're pretty expensive. I'm looking for a gamepad below 50$.

Thrustmaster have two interesting pads, the GP XID and the GPX. The first one has no rumble, and it seems that they have no native Direct Input support. Both of them have better grips than the Xbox 360 pad.

And my last option would be checking that Xbox One gamepad. The Xbox 360 is fine (I've been gaming on one of those for years), but the grips can be slippery and the sticks are "soft" (my old Thrustmaster sticks feels more precise). So it's time to check if the Xbox One is less slippery and more precise.

And that next-gen gamepad, the Steampad... well, my wife have one of those. I haven't played with it, but the digital stick feels cumbersome and the grips seems to be as slippery as the Xbox 360 gamepad.

About Sony controllers... last one I used was the Dualshock from PS2. They're fine, but do modern Sony controllers support XInput?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 6, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Overrated or not I've gotten myself two Logitech wired Rumblepad 2's and two wireless Rumblepad 2's for my current and future needs.
They're older discontinued gamepads but they have squared axis limits, a feature I like that Logitech has abandoned and no other gamepad manufactures has used.
If I really need Xinput I can use x360ce.
The only downside is they don't have analog triggers but I mostly play racinggames with it and with how I like to control the cars I don't really need them anyway.

By the way, talking about overrated then I would stay way clear of anything Razer makes, check out Steelseries or Thrustmaster instead.
In the past I've used Xbox360, Thrustmaster and Playstation 2 and other Logitech gamepads and came to the conclusion I liked the Rumblepads the most.

Reply 6 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Logitech Rumblepad F510?

Good luck finding one at a reasonable price. Ever since Logitech discontinued them, folks somehow decided that this controller is worth its weight in gold.

I have tested some Logitech and Speedlink controllers:
https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/logitec … dlink-gamepads/

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys