historically mine were;

c64 - my c64
ambrosia - my amiga
hades - my 286
tarterus - 486sx
inferno - my 486 dx2-80
death - my k6-200
abyss - my slot1 p3-450

(between then and now lots of 'workstation'! 🤣)

current machines;
workstation.cactus - current main desktop
ss7.cactus - my k6-2+ daily retro box
cantina.cactus - my morphos g4 mac mini

whole passle of servers named for function (eg: dhcp.cactus, ntp.cactus, nas1.cactus, etc). and a bunch of proxmox VM's named for horizon zero dawn

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 21 of 36, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine have Star Trek related Names:
Enterprise: My main gaming rig
Voyager: My Laptop
Deepspace9: NAS
Holodeck1: Virtual Machine running on my NAS

My YouTube Channel

Reply 22 of 36, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I normally don't give my builds names, I just refer to them by the model of either the motherboard (for home-builds) or the PC itself (for OEM systems).

As far as my network names scheme goes, the "names" of each system is a short name of the system/motherboard combined with the OS that's currently installed on them.

Here are some of the applicable network names for each machine:

Dell7010-Win7 - My (currently) main desktop (Dell Optiplex 7010 w/ Windows 7).
i13z-Win8 - My occasionally used laptop (Dell Inspiron 13z w/ Windows 8.1).
GX745-Win7 - My video transfer desktop (Dell Optiplex 745 w/ Windows 7).
DC7800-WinXP - My WIP upper-tier Windows XP gaming rig (HP DC7800).
A8V-WinXP - My lower-tier Windows XP gaming rig (with an ASUS A8V mobo).
GX150-Win98 - My Windows 98SE gaming rig (Dell Optiplex GX150).

You get the idea.

Reply 23 of 36, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm boring, on the network they get my initials -CPU or -motherboard, but I'll call almost all of them different in person.
ie,
JC-DX2 is always called Osborne
JC-POD is called "the other 486"

I name the Mrs, devices her initials then -iphone, mac, etc (She doesn't have more then one device somehow!?)

Shared stuff like the printer, wifi, tv gets our combined first initials followed by device, eg EJ-Wifi

I like this is it groups hers and my devices. Plus EJ reminds me of EJ Holden cars 😀

Reply 24 of 36, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

umm, my PCs(old ones and new ones) have mixed names, some of them are just Morc-PC or Pentium-PC,Sempron-PC and so on but sometimes i give them some special name for example:
my main pc runs macOS so i call it something like hackPro or Grill PC(the case looks like a grill), and my Pentium PC doesn't have any special name and it is also called Pentium-PC in network.
If i really give that Pentium PC a name then it should be Eurocompák(as my uncle was working in electronic shops called Eurocomp and he brought that PC home).

2018 Retro Rebuild: Pentium MMX @ 166MHz, LuckyStar 5I-TX1 rev: 2.0, 32MB, Verite 2200

Reply 25 of 36, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine follow different naming schemes:
Laptop are named after Asterix Comic characters (Asterix, Miraculix, Obelix, Idefix, Majestix)
Some are named after famous computers from Books or movies (HAL9000, wintermute, neuromancer)
some are named due to their speciallity (octopus (Proliant 8500, 8x Xeon), sixpack (LH6000 6x Xeon), darkstar (all black case))
Plans are to name after planets from the Star Wars universe. (tatooin, Coruscant, Corellia, Endor, Hoth, Naboo)
At university institute where I worked the machines were named after Zappa Songs, due to the admin being a big Zappa Fan. (stinkfoot, zombie_woof, apostrophe)

Reply 27 of 36, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you give names to your devices, whether it's just a nickname, or for network identification, etc.? Mine are based on Old Norse mythology:

Daily driver desktop: Fenrisúlfr
Laptop: Sköll
Smartphone: Sleipnir
Router: Heimdallr (built from a Pentium Pro machine, currently dismantled due to space issues)
Win98/DOS retro box: Hati Hróðvitnisson

Reply 28 of 36, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I usually name my computers after my pets; Mimi, Woepie, Balou and Zippo. One exception is Syros, which is some sort of Greek name I gave my Packard Bell iMedia 3733VL about ten years ago. When building my Pentium 4 system inside that case, I decided to just keep the name. 😊

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 29 of 36, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TPC-x-yy for desktops and TLT-x-yy for laptops, where x is the CPU and its speed and yy is a number from 01 to 99. My main machine is TPC-C2D3333-01 and one laptop is TLT-P300-01.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 30 of 36, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-07-04, 16:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 31 of 36, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use starship classes from babylon 5. Capital ships for desktops or servers and fighter classes for laptops and other mobile computers.

I don't remember why, but I have been doing that out of habit now for over a decade.

Reply 33 of 36, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

C64 - Commodore 64
Big band (multiple sound cards) - Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus
Rusty - Custom AMD K6/2-300 machine
Blue and bulky - HP Pavilion N3350
Fast and Furious - Custom Socket 370 (will put the Socket 462 back in) machine
Graphite fixer upper: iMac G3/600 Summer 2001 edition (replaced the HDD with a 200GB one, replaced the ODD with a SuperDrive, upgraded the RAM to 768MB, and replaced the clock battery)
Lampshade: iMac G4/800 (original HDD and SuperDrive still works)
Gray Plague - Dell Inspiron 600m (display hinge broke, and so is the hard drive again)
Batman - IBM ThinkPad R40
Robin - Dell Inspiron 600m (no issues)
Speedy McQueen - Compaq Presario C700 (Core2Duo T8100, 3GB RAM, 120GB SSD)
Red Plague - Dell Inspiron 1525 (had to replace the keyboard, battery, CPU, Wi-Fi card, and hard drive) <-- cannot put an SSD in it
Black Plague - ASUS X54C laptop (slow, losing its circuits, and crashes constantly)
Blue Wonder - Custom FX-6300 system (12GB RAM, 6-core, GT730, 480GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray RE, DVD-RW)

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 35 of 36, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I named my first pc "Miss Piggy" after someone's naming his computer "the piglet" after mainframes being called "pigs".

My current (modern) system is "Digby". I hope to go to Digby, Nova Scotia, Canada some day.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 36 of 36, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, just the ones that can be powered up and on the web in less than five minutes:
Ragnarok - AMD K6-2 (my first computer, lab)
Rapture - Intel Core 2 Quad (my current computer, lab)
Ivory - Dell Inspiron 530 (lab)
Thantos - HP Vectra D2933A 486 66XM (lab)
Abominus - PowerMac G4 M8493 (lab)
Se7en - Intel Core 2 Duo (dining room)
unnamed - Toshiba Satellite A205 (lab)

Normally I name my personal systems after world-ending disasters or concepts of death or destruction. I have yet to make a system called Shiva or Hel.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.