Rank
l33t++

anyone got oled display?
It looks they got pretty cheap and pushing away traditional ones

Reply 2 of 18, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think burn-in is still a real problem as is the case with plasma.
I would not use it for gaming.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 3 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still using crappy IPS monitors here which I've been using since 2007. 🙁

Recently bought a refurb Precision 5520 w/4k glossy screen since I'm giving my parents my 5510 w/ matte 1080p screen for Christmas. Was going to do 1080 for the 5520 as well but those screens are shit so went with the 4k at 250% scaling 🙄 . The scaling issues are ridiculous.

Finally looked into peoples complaints about DOSBox with 4K (probly could have tested with DSR before) and as usual it's overblown change to overlay and change windowresolution and no more tiny screen. Think DOSBox needs a 1/2 res setting for window resolution in dosbox.conf tho.

Found this: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-ima … urn-in-lcd-oled

The max I spend on a monitor is $800 which is already way too much so if I went OLED it would have to be $400 (since it degrades) and not even TV screens are that cheap yet.

Supposedly the lastest OLED can last 100,000 hours which is 11+yrs. Unknown what the screen would actually look like by then but supposedly that would be 50% brightness and it won't be uniform so yeah.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 18, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Finally looked into peoples complaints about DOSBox with 4K (probly could have tested with DSR before) and as usual it's overblown change to overlay and change windowresolution and no more tiny screen. Think DOSBox needs a 1/2 res setting for window resolution in dosbox.conf tho.

DOSBox should be unproblematic for 4K users, there's just a lot of options one of them should give results close to what you want, even without resorting to fancier builds like the pixel perfect scaling one.

Add to that the various wrapper solutions for legacy Windows software allowing custom scaling options and PC gamers are really spoiled when it comes to playing their old games on new high-res displays. Console gamers are not that lucky.

tpowell.ca wrote:

I'm looking for a new phone now and ignoring all OLED ones for this reason.

Not so sure I would ignore a TV for the same reason though, image quality is very important in TVs and when I've gone to TV stores the OLED panels have all looked much, much better. Not because the store was specifically advertising them or had different settings for them. They just stand out, quality wise.

Reply 6 of 18, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Not so sure I would ignore a TV for the same reason though, image quality is very important in TVs and when I've gone to TV stores the OLED panels have all looked much, much better. Not because the store was specifically advertising them or had different settings for them. They just stand out, quality wise.

Have you looked at Sony LCD TVs like the XBR-65X900E. That's what I have now and the blacks and colours are spectacular.
And no burn in.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 7 of 18, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OLEDs produce a great picture, but from what I've heard, they're still quite fragile. Similar to early plasma displays. A friend of mine actually returned his 65" LG OLED because of noticeable burn-in (IR?) only a couple of weeks after he purchased it!

I'm still rocking my Samsung F8500 plasma, which was called the "OLED of 2013" because of how bright (and dark) it can get. It also has an awesome scaler and looks almost CRT-like displaying my old Win9x games!
8TwRHOz.jpg

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 9 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an OLED laptop at work. While the display is quite nice, it does suffer from image retention. This has put me off getting an OLED display for personal use.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 12 of 18, by GemCookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
tpowell.ca wrote:

CRT displays were much more susceptible to burn-in and people were happy with them.
Like it or not, OLED displays are the way forward. They use less power than LCDs, have perfect black levels, faster response times, much better viewing angles... the list of advantages goes on and on. They're finally comparable to the aforementioned CRT displays from 30 years ago.

Asus Maximus Extreme (X38) | Core 2 Quad Q9550 | GTX 750 Ti | 8 GiB DDR3 | 120 GB SSD + 640 GB HDD | Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium | WinXP64, 7, 11
Fujitsu D1215 board | P3 866 | Riva TNT2 M64 | 256 MiB PC133 CL2 | 120 GB HDD | WfW 3.11, Win95 OSR2, XP SP3

Reply 13 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, CRTs are less susceptible to burn-in and it's by design. Also they don't accumulate dead pixels, like OLED does after 2-3 years (with total 100 days of actual use). That problem is rarely mentioned, but it's even worse than burn-in, in my opinion.
Overall, OLEDs are just as flawed as plasma screens were and we won't see complete replacement of LCDs any time soon. Maybe MicroLED will finally fix that. Until that time, LCD will remain as the most robust picture output technology to use. Panels with LED backlight are still going strong, even after 10 years of active use.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 14 of 18, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two OLED panels, one in my original Vita and one in my Vivobook laptop. I think they both look fantastic and I love using them. Haven't really noticed any noticeable ghosting with either, I've seen way worse ghosting on just about every other LCD panel I've ever used. That's not to say there isn't some at least to my eyes, but it certainly doesn't bother me.

I understand people's concern with image retention and burn in, and while I haven't had either long term to find out (only had the Vita for 3 years since I imported it, and laptop is fairly recent), I think the fuss over OLED's issues in that department are a little over-exaggerated . I think a lot of the complaints with OLED were over the really early displays and that notion has stuck with them ever since. With that said, OLED is probably the least ideal from a longevity standpoint if you're using it as a computer display that is going to frequently have static GUI elements left on the screen for hours. But as a screen for watching content or playing games on, I think OLED is fantastic and it's the closest I've seen a display get to the true deep blacks and color reproduction of my Trinitron monitor.

I guess only time will tell with OLED. Most Vita 1000s are still going strong and those are all about a decade old at this point. Who knows how the degradation will factor into this either since OLED is using an organic substance. What will probably kill a lot of OLED displays is their controller boards going bad, which is also true of LCDs and CRTs.

At least for now I'd say I'm in the OLED camp. I think the image quality advantage is too great for me to consider moving away from them (especially my laptop, it really is gorgeous). I would like to get some time with other technologies like Micro LED to see if it changes my opinion. But as of now, I wouldn't have any issues with recommending someone an OLED panel if they can afford it and the next screen I buy for my console gaming setup is most likely going to be OLED.

Reply 15 of 18, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the QD-OLED/QLED panels show a lot of promise for computing usage for the next few years, as they sort of combine best of the both worlds and mitigate some of the issues of OLED.

I’ve had 55” OLED telly for almost five years now and no complaints so far. IQ is extremely good and so far there are no signs of wear. Granted, me and missus aren’t heavy TV users, although it has been used pretty much daily. I also rarely game on it, so your mileage may vary.

Reply 16 of 18, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GemCookie wrote on 2023-03-20, 20:01:
ZellSF wrote:
tpowell.ca wrote:

CRT displays were much more susceptible to burn-in and people were happy with them.

Lol no.

They were much less susceptible to burn-in and even less susceptible to uneven wear. Since this is a forum full of CRTs fans, I should note that I think CRTs are shit and I'm glad we've moved on from them, but not because of burn-in.

Also you're nearly 5 years late on this reply.

NTG2001 wrote on 2023-03-21, 04:05:

I guess only time will tell with OLED. Most Vita 1000s are still going strong and those are all about a decade old at this point.

They also don't have any static UI elements. Unless you're only playing the same game all the time. That said even without static UI elements you will see another OLED wear problem on a lot of Vitas: uneven wear of RGB. My Vita has gotten a warmer color tone since I got it. Which I like, so no big loss there.

Reply 17 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-03-21, 07:18:

I think the QD-OLED/QLED panels show a lot of promise for computing usage for the next few years, as they sort of combine best of the both worlds and mitigate some of the issues of OLED.

QD-OLED is just as crappy as classic OLED, with exception of uneven RGB wear-out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my1lyUE7WVM

And QLED is a fancy naming for Mini-LED LCD technology.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 18 of 18, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OLED is not the way forward, primarily they lack the brightness to do proper HDR. Anyone who has gamed on a 1000+ nit display knows what I'm talking about. Also the other problems already mentioned. OLED is a temp tech just like plasma.

I'm not saying LCD local array and such are not temporary either, they all are, just that the future is not better OLED.