VOGONS

Common searches

CPU storage

Topic actions

First post, by the-beast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Hopefully doing more posting going forwards!

What do people recommend for storing PGA CPUs safely?

I can store come on motherboards but the rest are placed in pairs with the pins of each one placed together to try and avoid bending them.

Does anyone else know of any better ways of doing it? I've seen a few of these sort of things for modern CPUs on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50pcs-CPU-Clamshel … ksid=m570.l1313

Would these work with older CPUs (486s, pentiums, athlons etc?) Thought I would ask the community before I splash the cash on something that might not safely fit the CPU.

Thanks for the advice!

Reply 1 of 7, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It works with old CPUs if they are of the same size as those supported ones, which mostly means not compatible. I just use a wooden box with the CPUs stacked on top of eachother, not preferable surely, but since I very rarely move that box anywhere the pins stay ok and yet not a single broken CPU in the 12 years I have been doing it.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 2 of 7, by the-beast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I suppose my main fear is if I move/knock whatever they are stored in damaage them that way. I have been known to drop things from time to time. 🙁

I'll take a look at the boxes I have, maybe I can put some padding.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 7, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, maybe some kind of a wooden box with antistatic foam between the CPU layers would be a good option. The box would be sturdy enough to withstand minor drops and the antistatic foam between layers of CPUs would further soften the blow in case it falls or some other mishap happens. The foam would also remove the possibility of the pins scratching the CPU underneath.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 5 of 7, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been using these things, which fit most CPUs, and you can actually put 2x safely inside - 1 in between the 2 pink pads , and the second CPU on top of the upper pink pad...
(both cushions are loose, not glued, at least on those I bought, but ask seller just in case)

Should survive many drops before they dissolve... 😁

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-CPU-Processor- … on/312133685912

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    Filename
    s-l500.jpg
    File size
    10.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Several years ago I bought a bunch of CPU trays on eBay. They stack and they keep the CPUs very safe. At the time it was rare to find trays for sale, so when some came up I jumped on them. I have something like 10 trays for PGA (most still empty) and 2 trays that were designed for mPGA478.
I did a quick search on eBay and there's a lot more listings for CPU trays nowadays. It seems the popular design now has an open area for the pins, which might make them more widely compatible. On mine the trays have a bottom but they're designed for the PGA pin layout to fit securely. My 2 mPGA478 trays do have open bottoms though.

This leaves Pentium Pros and slot CPUs. I imagine trays must have existed for Pentium Pros, but I've never seen one. I put the Pentium Pros in a foam lined box and the slots are piled up in boxes. I love how robust slot CPUs are.