VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never really played old Doom so wasn't aware of the different versions. Got on Ebay and bought what I thought was Doom 2 for dos but overlooked the text on the case saying for Win95. Anyways it works ok for a "front end" version but is the dos iteration that much better and worth getting?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 10, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Doom95 can also run at 640x400 and 640x480 AFAIR, so there's that.

do You know if the resources are adequately bigger in order to make good use of that? or is it just more pixels to calculate?

Reply 4 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom95 does not look and sound identical, and to many it's worse!!

Its 320x240/640x480 modes are NOT aspect correct. Levels will look fat.

Also there's sound issues (no pitch, no filter, plays at a slightly lower pitch) and the weapon graphic will *alwayS* be aliased and nudged a bit down for 320x200/640x400.

The same applies to Hexen95, also ported by the same team.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 10, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
Doom95 does not look and sound identical, and to many it's worse!! […]
Show full quote

Doom95 does not look and sound identical, and to many it's worse!!

Its 320x240/640x480 modes are NOT aspect correct. Levels will look fat.

Also there's sound issues (no pitch, no filter, plays at a slightly lower pitch) and the weapon graphic will *alwayS* be aliased and nudged a bit down for 320x200/640x400.

The same applies to Hexen95, also ported by the same team.

Now you got me curious, which means I'm going back to Ebay and see if I can find the "94" ??? iteration in good condition.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 7 of 10, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The following thread contains a suggestion by doomer on how to use the WADs from the Collector's Edition version to play the DOS versions of the game:

Collector's Edition DOOM is a huge steaming piece of a turd.

doomer wrote:

In fact there is a way of getting a DOS version of the Doom Collector's edition. I happen to have this version and it is not that crappy. All you need to do is download doom 1.9 shareware from ftp.idsoftware.com, then copy your original .wad file from the collector's cdrom, then download doom 1.9 patch again from ftp.idsoftware.com. Then run the patch and you will have doom and doom2, and final doom dos versions which you will patch each in its separate directory. The only thing missing is final's doom setup.exe (which shows final doom in the setup menu title) but you can still live without it.

Anyway, you could always try a newer port like zdoom or zdaemon (for online play) which are quite close to the original (with some exceptions). But I also have the original doom games patched in the above manner which I use on dosbox.

doomer wrote:

Yeah Doomer, I had tried swapping WADs with my shareware version but it didn't let me get to the 2nd level (had the you need to purchase message).

Didn't know bout that 1.9 patch 'fix' though.

Anyway, I have the WADs, so that's really all that matters.

No, you need to apply patch 1.9 after you swap doom2.wad or doom.wad with the shareware wad, otherwise it will not work. You also need to use the 1.9 shareware version found on ftp.idsoftware.com (just like the patch). If you apply patch 1.9, it turns into a registered version and works fine.

Doomer's suggestion wasn't quite clear enough (for me), so I made a point of getting the files from id's FTP site and created the following instructions for myself (note that the D:\ drive refers to the hard drive and Q:\ refers to the CD-ROM drive, so adjust accordingly):

For Ultimate DooM: […]
Show full quote

For Ultimate DooM:

1. Install the Version 1.9 Shareware (DOOM19S.ZIP) to D:\DOOMU
2. Delete D:\DOOMU\DOOM1.WAD
3. Copy Q:\Setup\Ultimate Doom\doom.wad to D:\DOOMU\doom.wad
4. Copy the Version 1.9 Ultimate DooM patch (19_UDPAT.EXE) to D:\DOOMU and execute it.
5. Execute the PATCH.EXE program.

For DooM 2

1. Install the Version 1.9 Shareware (DOOM19S.ZIP) to D:\DOOM2
2. Delete D:\DOOM2\DOOM1.WAD
3. Change D:\DOOM2\DOOM.EXE to D:\DOOM2\DOOM2.EXE
4. Copy Q:\Setup\Doom2\DOOM2.WAD to D:\DOOM2\DOOM2.WAD

For Final DooM: TNT - Evilution

1. Install the Version 1.9 Shareware (DOOM19S.ZIP) to D:\DOOMT
2. Delete D:\DOOMT\DOOM1.WAD
3. Change D:\DOOMT\DOOM.EXE to D:\DOOMT\DOOM2.EXE
4. Copy Q:\Setup\Final Doom\tnt.wad to D:\DOOMT\DOOM2.WAD

For Final DooM: The Plutonia Experiment

1. Install the Version 1.9 Shareware (DOOM19S.ZIP) to D:\DOOMP
2. Delete D:\DOOMP\DOOM1.WAD
3. Change D:\DOOMP\DOOM.EXE to D:\DOOMP\DOOM2.EXE
4. Copy Q:\Setup\Final Doom\plutonia.wad to D:\DOOMP\DOOM2.WAD

See http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_1.9 for more information about the differences between the Version 1.9 executables. Because the Final Doom executable is derived from the Ultimate Doom executable, but is not identical, there is no way to get an exact copy of the DOS version using the above approach.

This thread has some discussion about the differences in Final Doom if you use this approach:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/32911-q … ors-edition-pc/

Reply 10 of 10, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I don't recommend using the shareware EXEs with Doom 2 and Final Doom. You'll get a HELP crash and you'll miss the level names

For Final Doom that's not surprising. Given the fact that its .EXE is different from that of Doom 2, it's a wonder it works at all. But I am surprised you would have issues with Doom 2 since the Doom shareware Version 1.9 .EXE is identical to the Version 1.9 .EXE shipped (or updated) with Doom 2 (I generated checksums against the Version 1.9 Doom shareware .EXE to make sure). I wonder if there is a Doom 2 IWAD difference between Doom Collector's Edition and the retail Doom 2. I was looking at these pages for reference:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170110235015/ht … /wiki/DOOM2.WAD
https://web.archive.org/web/20160103211914/ht … /wiki/DOOM2.EXE

(No idea what's up with doomwiki.org)

Buckeye, the .EXE differences might impact what physical release you should shoot for, and in fact, you might want the GOG release to guarantee that you get the id Anthology version (if that's what you want).