Common searches

Windows 95 is 23 years old

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 3.x wasn't "just a graphical shell" on top of MS-DOS, either. Much more than that going on there, with Standard and (especially) Enhanced modes, and how it manages multitasking, virtual memory, and running actual DOS programs concurrently.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 21 of 40, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps a better way to word the idea is that they are graphical environments that depend on DOS, with Windows 9x having further reduced that dependence.

My understanding is that Windows 3.x was largely self-contained also, but still needed the DOS environment to host it. All file system operations were delegated to real-mode DOS, but little else was.

Part of the distinction is that MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 were separate products that had to be installed separately, while Windows 9x included the required DOS environment, and installed all required components as part of the same process. In both cases, DOS is still there, and real-mode system services can still be invoked by the system as deemed necessary.

Reply 22 of 40, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote:

My understanding is that Windows 3.x was largely self-contained also, but still needed the DOS environment to host it. All file system operations were delegated to real-mode DOS, but little else was.

Even if nothing else was, that's a pretty big ticket in itself.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 23 of 40, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I'll just link to my 8/2015 comment, when Windows 95 turned 20:

Happy Birthday Win95

I will add that, while Windows 95 is not my all-time favorite OS (MS-DOS 6.2 and Windows 98 SE share that honor), it was an important step in the evolution of personal computers - even with all the teething troubles it came with.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 24 of 40, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Also, I don't know what exactly they did, but compatibility with DOS games running in an emulated DOS window also increased greatly inside Windows 9x compared to Win 3.x. With Win9x, the average DOS user/gamer could really boot into the Windows GUI most of the time, and most his games/apps would work; restarting in MS-DOS mode would become an exception, rather than the norm; the same cannot be said of Win3.x.

Was it actually emulated in 9x? I always thought that Command Prompt in Win3x and 9x was just a viewport to the DOS layer that was running in the background. But I'm obviously no expert. 😜

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 25 of 40, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:

Was it actually emulated in 9x? I always thought that Command Prompt in Win3x and 9x was just a viewport to the DOS layer that was running in the background. But I'm obviously no expert. 😜

I don't know if "emulated" is an accurate term, but it was definitely not a "viewport" to the underlying DOS layer. Possibly "virtualized" is a better word, since it was more like a V86 session (like EMM386 provides), except with a lot of the low-level stuff handled by Windows; for example, file system calls: when running a command prompt within Windows, you could use Windows mounted network drives, Windows CD-ROM drivers, etc. You were also using Sound Blaster emulation provided by the Windows driver for your sound card, if such was available. Probably there were other things, but this is off the top of my head.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 26 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
640K!enough wrote:

My understanding is that Windows 3.x was largely self-contained also, but still needed the DOS environment
to host it. All file system operations were delegated to real-mode DOS, but little else was..

That's true so far, but there are subtle differences. Windows 3.0 was "just" a graphical environment, just like Digital Research's GEM.
Both had their own executables, multi-tasking mechanism, memory managment and such things.
However, Windows for Workgroups, version 3.11 in particular, went one step further.
It emulated parts of the DOS API and -if both FastDisk and 32Bit File Access were loaded- ran on its own, just like Win95.
All -okay, let's say most- int21h (& int13h) calls made by either DOS or Win16 applcations were handled by Windows then.
In that state, DOS was never called again, except for device drivers, maybe.
Plain old Windows 3.1 was somewhat in-between, which further complicates the definition of Win3.x.
It was originally called a graphical environment, too, but later in its lifetime was considered an OS.

At the end of the day, both definitaions are valid depending on the point of view.
However, personally, I think that at least WfW 3.11 can be safely considered some sort of an OS.
It fulfilled most if not all requirements of a network operating system.

Edit: Minor edit.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 30 of 40, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Who hasn't? The clippy hate didn't just come out of nowhere.

🤣

I'd forgotten about that little f**king clippy.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 31 of 40, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

🤣

If rumours are to be believed, Bill Gates didn't like it much either. Allegedly, when he saw it for the first time, he asked how to turn off "that [censored] clown". From that time forward, it was known as TFC within the development team.

Reply 33 of 40, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Who hasn't? The clippy hate didn't just come out of nowhere.

🤣

Yes, they included it because Rover and the other "Search Companions" were what made MS Bob such a huge success.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 34 of 40, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of MS Bob, my dad had a mug that we would put the bar for shaving in it and we still have it, even though the handle broke off years ago.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 36 of 40, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. My dad had the mug since the release of Microsoft Bob when he worked for Computer City (CompUSA) in the 1990's. Plus, Microsoft Bob was one of the many programs to include e-mail, basically like Microsoft Office and having access to other programs.

Heck, I remember installing that program in Windows 95 and I did the same thing in Windows for Workgroups 3.11 as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 38 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While we are talking about addon's I used to install Plus! mainly to use DriveSpace 3 which I used on my 420MB "Archive" disk on my 486.
Primary drive was 1GB so trying to squeeze the main lan party games of the time C&C, RA, Warcraft 1 and 2, Doom 1 and 2, space for other games got rather tight,
Also used the added themes support and would try out which ever game I was playing at the time, as most games used to add a theme as a bonus.
(Most of the time they were pretty bad although I kept the Command and Conquer GDI theme for a bit.

Win95 was thought out well. I taught myself how to use in about a week? I did struggle at first trying to use My computer for windows stuff as it most closely resembled Program groups of 3.11, In the end I just had to tell myself, my Computer = dos, Start menu = Windows.

Try finding things in Windows 8 and above without using the search function. I miss the start menu

Reply 39 of 40, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How many of you picked up one of these when they were giving them away?

IMG_3557_640.jpg
Filename
IMG_3557_640.jpg
File size
52.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_3558_640.jpg
Filename
IMG_3558_640.jpg
File size