VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AllTinker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks, hoping someone can help me out; I'm having no luck finding answers elsewhere.

I'm practically 100% certain that the Lemmings I played back in the day in DOS had digital sound effects - the creak of the door, the "Oh no!" voice and so on are still vivid in my memory.
Sadly my own original copy has apparently been lost, and the only versions I can find only seem to support Adlib!

I have a Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra II in my DOS (6.22) PC, which is as far as I know 100% Sound Blaster Pro compatible - and certainly seems to be in all my tests, including test software from my old original SBPro disks.
The BLASTER variable is set correctly if that matters, and I have no trouble in anything else (it'd be a sizable list).

So am I doing something wrong, or was there a different version of the DOS game?
I'm aware that Windows Lemmings had digital effects - and the sounds do seem to match - but I've never had a copy of it. I only ever had it on DOS, pretty sure it would have been on my 386DX/40 with an early SBPro.
The version I had contained all the original levels (fun/tricky/taxing/mayhem), and I'm quite sure none of the expansions. It may have even been bundled with my SBPro, but I really can't remember.

Reply 1 of 42, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first Lemmings game was OPL2 only on DOS. The sound on Amiga was quite a bit more sophisticated.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 42, by AllTinker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmn, never had a copy for the Amiga (or any platform other than DOS) - I do understand it's the original/definitive version though.

Anyway it's a mystery to me - I'm as sure as I can be that I'm not misremembering... Perhaps it was a special release for the SBPro bundle?

Reply 4 of 42, by AllTinker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was the original game for DOS. I've barely even seen the later games in the series, to be honest. Enough to know which game is which, at least.

Reply 6 of 42, by AllTinker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hardly conclusive, but here's one reference to it on this forum from 2003. I've found a few other references here and elsewhere around the net to a version bundled with the Sound Blaster Pro...

Mine may have alternatively been bundled with a SB16 + CD-ROM combo pack; I still have most of the bits and pieces from those bundles, but unfortunately I have no clue where Lemmings went!

Does anyone have one of these Creative Labs-bundled versions?

Reply 8 of 42, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can choose sfx or music on the home screen using a hotkey toggle. A little graphical icon of a music note will switch to say FX. I think the default is music.

As a kid, I would play the music for a while until I got sick of it, then switch back to sfx ("oh no!").
Unfortunately I don't recall being able to do both simultaneously, although I might be wrong.

Reply 10 of 42, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am relatively certain that the copies of lemmings that came with both my SB 2.0 and SB16 allowed both sound fx and midi in game.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh damn now we need to hunt this version... I had it at some point but sold it with a sb2.0 card many years ago

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 42, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All copies of Lemmings I ever had seemed to have sound effects AND music. When "FX" is selected, only sound effects are played. When the music icon is selected, both are played. But those might be Adlib effects, because they don't sound like the ones on the Amiga (for example, "Oh no" sounds like a squeal, and the door open effect is also different). I have never seen a DOS version of Lemmings with different sound effects.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 42, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember those specific sound effects from Lemmings 3 (Chronicles). Not from the DOS original though.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 14 of 42, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the SB bundled version that came with the SB 2.0

Edit: Tested it out and there are 3 options for sound/music
1. Off
2. FX (only sound)
3. Music - (music and sound)

The sound sounds like FM sound to me.

Are you all sure it wasn't the Lemmings & Oh No, More Lemmings double pack for Windows you are thinking of that maybe had the digitized sound?

Edit 2: almost 100% sure that's the one you are thinking about. It has WAVs for the sound and MIDI for the music.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-08-28, 00:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 42, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes my memory of the FX is that they were just FM trickery despite the game being bundled with my SB 2.0 - the only version I've played. I didn't realise that start sound was "Oh no!", in my mind it was always "Let's go!". More like a wolf whistle now that I think of it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 17 of 42, by AllTinker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's actually the trapdoor creak sound I remember best, weirdly, followed by "Oh no!" from the million (give or take) times I nuked a level. Every time I hear the FM version I'm left shaking my head. The music, however, sounds nearly identical to how I remember - the only differences I'm putting down to OPL implementation differences on the Nova 16.

Like I say, I've never had any other Lemmings game other than the first game, running on DOS. I didn't know anyone else who had it - on DOS or otherwise. I didn't even know Lemmings for Windows existed until maybe 1-2 years ago, and even now I've never actually played it, only checked out the WAV files while looking into this whole mystery. I never had Windows on my 386 to begin with.

Annoying that the SB 2.0 version effects are FM. All I can say is I never had a SB 2.0... I'm still keen to find a copy of (or hear from someone with) a version that came with the Sound Blaster Pro and/or 16. I'm increasingly doubting my memory of it, but wow, I have no freaking idea how these sounds got so burned into my brain if I'm somehow misremembering.

Reply 18 of 42, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did a bunch of digging last night and here is what I have found so far:

There were multiple different DOS CDs for Lemmings.
1 was put out by a company that was just a hack of the normal floppy based version.

Another looks like an official CD.. not finding specific info or a download for it anywhere though.

Another was put out that was Lemmings and Oh, No! More Lemmings that had the normal FM sounds but also had CD music instead of FM music. All other files except the executable are the same as somebody replaced the CD executable with the floppy executable and it used FM music instead.

Floppy versions:
There was a floppy based version that was one of the included disks for the Thunder Board.
https://books.google.com/books?id=8ToEAAAAMBA … 20board&f=false

There was a Covox version which included a special Covox level and 7 additional levels. (Save The Lemmings is what they named it)

I'm not finding an reference to any PC DOS version that had digital audio.

As for different disks, I am seeing 1x 5.25" (guessing 1.2MB), 3x 5.25"(guessing 360k) and 1x 3.5".

But, the really weird thing is that the documentation mentions Adlib, Tandy, Covox, Thunder Board, and Sound Blaster sound.

The floppy files only show Tandy and Adlib "drivers" though.

So maybe there is an unobtanium DOS version out there. I'll check betaarchive once I am home again to see if they have something different.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 42, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Another was put out that was Lemmings and Oh, No! More Lemmings that had the normal FM sounds but also had CD music instead of FM music. All other files except the executable are the same as somebody replaced the CD executable with the floppy executable and it used FM music instead.

I recently bought what looks like this CD, but haven't tested it yet. Hope to do it soon. But, as you said, I don't expect it will have SB digital sounds.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys