VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I am the only sole user of the computer, why is there a hidden administrator in the operating system? Let say if I am the only person exist in the planet, and the hidden administrator account is there. It feels like there are two persons that use the computer. There are no hidden administrator notes, in the Help Windows.

Reply 1 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's there so that in case you are the only person left on the planet, you are not bored and have someone to talk to. There is a feature built into every version of Windows since NT 4.0 which detects how many people are left on the planet and awakens the administrator account if it's only you. I had a book about it once that described the history of the development of this feature, but it got misplaced.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can have different start up programs (system management tools) for that account, along with a clear desktop, no icon clutter, etc. Keep the admin stuff separate from the regular stuff. It's a useful feature.

If you're running a server OS it's even better because you can be logged in simultaneously to your admin and regular accounts. You can even create multiple accounts for different functions - work, gaming, file hosting etc. and quickly switch or RDP between them as necessary.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 8, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is also a security feature. The normal user will run most of the programs, and those programs (malicious as they may be) will never have admin rights per default and hence can't cause so much damage. The admin user will only be invoked when necessary, e.g. when changes to system files have to be made.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It can also be unlocked (if your disk isn't encrypted) in case you lose track of your password.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably for backwards comparability as well.
Up till Vista, Administrator was the default user account.
After XP it was considered a big security risk as it was a given that the PC would have a login called administrator, just need to crack the password, which is why it is now disabled by default. But I guess programs could still expect a administrator account for something.

You can delete it if you want or care, It is still a nice safety net for corporate PC's though, even in its disabled state.

Reply 6 of 8, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Probably for backwards comparability as well. Up till Vista, Administrator was the default user account. After XP it was conside […]
Show full quote

Probably for backwards comparability as well.
Up till Vista, Administrator was the default user account.
After XP it was considered a big security risk as it was a given that the PC would have a login called administrator, just need to crack the password, which is why it is now disabled by default. But I guess programs could still expect a administrator account for something.

You can delete it if you want or care, It is still a nice safety net for corporate PC's though, even in its disabled state.

How to delete the administrator account?

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Muz wrote:

How to delete the administrator account?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … 5c-aa13d65bff51

I'm assuming Win8 and above are pretty much the same I haven't bothered since windows 7
I used to rename the administrator account, but now I dont even bother with that and just log in as adminstrator and delete the account created during startup.
It's not like I have to secure my home computers against rest of my family, we all use the same login.