Scariest pc game you played

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 77, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nobody mentioned FEAR?

Is it only me that jumps up, from time to time, during the game's some creepy surreal parts?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 22 of 77, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tegrady wrote:

FEAR was very scary at the time.

Sorry! 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 24 of 77, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

Nobody mentioned FEAR?

Is it only me that jumps up, from time to time, during the game's some creepy surreal parts?

Honestly, as much as I love FEAR, I can't say I find it scary at all anymore. Tense maybe, much like Doom3. Although there was one part that scared the living shit out of me on the standalone expansion. Sorry for the bad quality, but it was the only one I could find.

Last edited by F2bnp on 2018-09-06, 17:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 77, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey I'll get in on this. I love horror games. I've played tons of them.

Years ago I would have said System Shock 2 because when I first played that I had to quit sometimes to relax because it was so disturbing. But man there are so many amazing games now. STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl was amazingly atmospheric and unnerving for a shooter. Alien Isolation on Nightmare difficulty is something else. Soma and Amnesia Dark Descent are great storytelling and atmosphere. The Outlast games are not to be missed. Arkane Studios really only makes games with a creepy vibe so their entire library is appreciated. I could go on forever with favorites.

FEAR has great atmosphere, but Condemned was more disturbing from those Monolith guys. I finally picked up a 360 a few years ago to get at Condemned 2.

Reply 26 of 77, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first big scare was being caught by the evil rabbit's gang in Toonstruck, but then I learned how to break from the jail 😎.
Half-Life and sneaky headcrabs in particular gave me some chills at the time.
System Shock 2 - for sure, weird psycho-monsters and dark space stations generally work very well for me.
Grateful I didn't liked Doom 3 much, a few hours I put into it were quite disturbing.
Alien: Isolation is certainly in the first place. Somehow I managed to play through on regular difficulty nevertheless.. The scariest part was the addon where you play as original Ripley and need to detonate the ship.

Reply 27 of 77, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

FEAR has great atmosphere, but Condemned was more disturbing from those Monolith guys.

I vote for this. It's disturbing because you don't have enough ammo to just pick the enemies from a distance, you have to go hand to hand at close range.

Reply 28 of 77, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 for AVP
When my mate gave me his copy he said it was too scary to play in the dark, I thought he was exaggerating normal...he wasn't!

Reply 29 of 77, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing is scary to me.

Most of these "scary games" I either didn't react at all to the situation, or laughed at it.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 30 of 77, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scariest ever: Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul (VR)

Virtual reality haunted house game based on the movies of the same name. Combines atmospheric dread with well placed jump scares. Also, it's the first time I've tried physically punching a video game character in self-defense. Still haven't finished it and not sure I want to.

Runner up: Narcosis (VR)

You play an undersea miner trapped in a deep sea dive suit after a disaster occurs. Between being stuck inside a clunky suit and navigating the pitch-black ocean, the game excels at creating a sense of claustrophobia. While playing it, I was a constant bundle of nervous tension and couldn't play for more than 30 minutes at a time. And I'd usually end up drenched in fear sweat from how nervous I was.

Honorable Mention: The Brookhaven Experiment (VR)

Zombies are a lot more terrifying when they are six feet tall and feel like they can physically hurt you. This game marked the first time a video game made me fear for my physical safety.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2018-09-07, 14:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 31 of 77, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Nothing is scary to me.

Most of these "scary games" I either didn't react at all to the situation, or laughed at it.

Ever tried a horror game in virtual reality?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 33 of 77, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

Nothing is scary to me.

Have you tried playing Amnesia: Dark Descent? It twists the formula in a neat way that you can't actually confront the terror your character is feeling; it's very immersive.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 34 of 77, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That game annoys me more than scares me. I don't like playing things where you're completely useless against whatever...

Shponglefan wrote:

Ever tried a horror game in virtual reality?

I don't have the hardware nor the money to afford the hardware. Despite that, I highly doubt that will make much of a difference.

I'm a very broken individual, heh.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 35 of 77, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FEAR was scary as $#!%

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 36 of 77, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DracoNihil, is there really no game that ever made you feel scared or at least somewhat anxious/tense? Interesting if true!

System Shock 2 is a nice contender for me because of The Many. I remember searching some crew member rooms on a corridor when I heard something coming from the outside. I went out to take a look, carefully peeking to the right using lean. That's when I heard it, coming from behind me. "KILL ME!" I turned around and sure enough there was an enemy right in front of me about to hit me, I quickly shot 'em in the face with a shotgun.
That scared the shit out of me and it's mostly because of the line itself which is disturbing as hell, even more so once you know what happened on the Von Braun.

Reply 37 of 77, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

DracoNihil, is there really no game that ever made you feel scared or at least somewhat anxious/tense? Interesting if true!

I wouldn't understand why that's interesting, but yes. There has never been a game all my life from my childhood to now that has ever made me scared or anxious. Though a few have made me "tense" but it's not the kind of "tense" being mentioned here.

For what it's worth there also hasn't been any movies that made me scared at all either.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 39 of 77, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines... playing the haunted house level late at night was unnerving.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.