Rank Member
Rank

Any of you notice this?

Reply 1 of 15, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this forum truly the most appropriate recipient for many of your questions?

EDIT: now that this thread has some traction... I still buy Hawkins Cheezies every once in a while. They still taste the same and taste significantly better IMO than the equivalents (Cheetos etc), but always cost a few dollars more than the equivalents and are comparatively absolutely loaded with saturated/trans-fats (among other things). As the trend these days is towards "healthy" food choices made without potentially harmful/fattening ingredients, products like Cheezies have become relegated as "niche" products or have simply vanished, while the mass-market stuff advertise 0 or no saturated/trans-fats right on the package but taste comparatively bland.

cheezies.png
Filename
cheezies.png
File size
73.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by SW-SSG on 2018-09-19, 17:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it's because nostalgia plays an important role. You don't remember the taste, you remember the feeling of youth.
And yes, your questions are questionable...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I miss Frufoo..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 15, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can see how in a way, this is related to vintage computing. I remember back in the 90s, spending entire weekends at a friend's dad's office, LAN parties with Doom, Warcraft 2, etc. while eating a stupid amount of 7-Eleven potato wedges because they were so damn cheap. Seriously, potato wedges and Big Gulps, and that was it.

I miss those days! I had to fix computers at that office and eventually network the office. Was around... 14 or 15 at the time. First few months of Doom was using serial cables. That repair work and networking work led me to my first full-time job at the organization's head office after I graduated university, so I guess it wasn't all for nothing. 😀

Seriously though, 7-Eleven potato wedges. 😁

Reply 6 of 15, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least here in my country, taste has been systematically legislated out of the food. Things that I used to like now taste bland because they have to comply with the law, so in my case the older snacks were indeed better. Search the web for "chile food stickers" if you want to read about this.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 8 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
133MHz wrote:

At least here in my country, taste has been systematically legislated out of the food. Things that I used to like now taste bland because they have to comply with the law, so in my case the older snacks were indeed better. Search the web for "chile food stickers" if you want to read about this.

Isn't there some place to get fresh churros or brazo de reina? Are they going to legislate that bakeries change traditional recipes which have been around for decades?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 15, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Things definitely got less colorful. Here in Germany we had much more bright gummybears etc. now they use natural coloring, and they taste good, but still: colors were much more vibrant back then. 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 10 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

Things definitely got less colorful. Here in Germany we had much more bright gummybears etc. now they use natural coloring, and they taste good, but still: colors were much more vibrant back then. 😀

Of course, you can always eat the sugar-free ones instead 😜

Maybe I was never so much into sugary snacks, but can't say I've noticed a big difference. What I have noticed is how the price - even when corrected for inflation - of my favorite chips has more than doubled. Still tastes just as good as when 12-year old me went to the market stand after school on Tuesdays to get some - but I wonder if they secretly included gold dust or something. Also, in the meantime, the school has been demolished and replaced by a hipster food hall. OK, my old school didn't get onto CNN's "13 reasons to visit..." like this new thing does, but still, as the Romans said: o tempora, o mores

Reply 12 of 15, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Artificial sweeteners ruined everything, it used to be just sugar and salt. Now everything is so processed and filled with preservatives your body takes couple of centuries to decay.

Reply 13 of 15, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Isn't there some place to get fresh churros or brazo de reina? Are they going to legislate that bakeries change traditional recipes which have been around for decades?

Well they were trying to mess up the marraqueta just like that (legislating the salt out of it) so I guess anything's possible nowadays.

dionb wrote:

What I have noticed is how the price - even when corrected for inflation - of my favorite chips has more than doubled.

I'd say this is the real problem. Prices going up so much means we're paying more for less and lowering the quality of what we get overall.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com