Common searches

Luckybob goes on a tirade...

Topic actions

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wanted to post this over in Deep Thought, as I wrote this little spiel just to get some things off my chest that I've dealth with in the last week. However it [fingerquotes] TECHNICALLY [/fingerquotes] not vintage computer related, I suppose it goes here. Word of warning, I rant about race in America, the unstoppable movement of technology, and whatever else I feel like before this buzz wears off. Occasional adult language might be used. You've been warned.

Chapter 1 - the setup, and racism in 'merica
Last week my truck was broken into. I say broken, but in reality I left the doors unlocked. Why? Because honestly I'd rather have someone steal from my truck than have the hassle of finding and replacing a broken window. I have about 4 things of significant value in this truck (in descending order). A 4-cell LED maglight, Anker cell phone charger, about $20 in loose change in the ashtray, a half-used roll of t-rex duct tape. I was more pissed about the asstray! Take the 5 Lbs of change, big whoop, but did you have to take the whole damn ashtray so I cant use it ever again without buying a $40 chunk of plastic? Fuckin' a, man. I did call it into my local police, and because I live in a 'white neighborhood' (no PC way to say it), they were at my door in within maybe 30 minutes. Apparently I was not the only person who had this issue this morning. We ended up with the cop and 10 neighbors in the street out front of my house. I come to find out, a small group of black youths just brazenly tested every car door and robbed probably 20+ cars on 5-blocks. The cops and I found it slightly humorous, as one of the other neighbors got them on video using my flashlight to search cars. For the record, they have already been caught, and are likely to goto jail for a LONG time. I will not be getting my flashlight back as it is now evidence. These teenagers are going to get figuratively curb-stomped in the system and are basically going to be destroyed. I wanted to take a moment and just express my sorrow for the whole ordeal. Addressing the elephant in the room; why did I even bring race up. My neighbors.

I was just stunned at their whole attitude. I've lived next to some of these neighbors since 1989 when I was a child. So the roots run deep here where I live. I watched honest, sensible people just lose their minds over this ordeal. My mother included. For the record, If you don't want to win stupid prizes, don't play stupid games. These damn kids are going to reap what they had sewn. They deserve punishment, but they are also highly likely going to become career criminals, and both sides are going to precipitate the stereotype of young black males in a white neighborhood are there to rob/steel/etc. My neighbors will forever be poisoned against blacks, and vise versa. Why vise versa? These kids are going to get the hammer dropped on them. They are going to blame the white man for this and subsequently act out in the future. Why am I certain of this? Because I came from a poor neighborhood and moved to a nice one. I had my foot in both worlds. The idea of "fuck whitey" is absolutely pervasive in poor non-white neighborhoods. The rich assholes in charge of this country sure have done a good job of dividing us so they stay in power. It would be all too easy to just dismiss these people for making bad decisions, I pity those poor men, but I pity my own inability to change the situation.

Naturally, as a middle class white family, my mother overreacts and goes off the deep end on security devices. Bringing us to...

Chapter 2 - wi-fi for everything, and my tenuous relationship with the NSA.
To call wi-fi and "IOT" pervasive is a massive understatement. Jebus, when exactly did this all take off? I'm not out of the loop by any means. Far from it. I just didn't care. I'm well aware of the google/amazon/apple speakers. I just saw it as a corporate branded NSA wiretap. "Please return to your Prime-House for your nightly Prime-Meal, valued Prime-Citizen. Beep. Boop." So needless to say I haven't gone that deep down the rabbit hole, but I see it coming. For the record, I am not sponsoring anything I'm about to ramble about. That said, if someone from these companies wanted to throw money at me, shoot me a PM and I'll let you know where to send the check.

It started with a Ring doorbell/camera ($200) and a Kevo lock($250). Then new wi-fi AP's(3X $90), then a wifi-bluetooth bridge for the kevo($50), and I'm currently done for the moment but it will end with a minimum of 3 security cameras, and a home based NVR WITH poe. SO MUCH OVERKILL, but I got new AP's so I'm not going to say much. Besides, it will pacify my mother, and its her money.

The Ring doorbell thing is pretty damn schmick. It was fall-down easy to setup and install. I am sad to find out they are going to want a monthly service fee, AND it costs more if you want the option to save the files locally. Not happy about that, but when I consider the target audience... *shrugs* I will be looking into making my own ring storage server. With blackjack, and hookers! Moving on, the actual device seems to work nicely. I already have 2 videos of people walking their dog past my house. 😜 Now initially, it was only the Ring camera and a new lock. But my old wifi points were total shit. Not because of the hardware, but because of the fatass that is between the chair and keyboard. I only ever got them to work at G speeds.

In order for all these new toys to play nice, I needed new AP's. Part of the problem was the Cisco units I got got cheap off ebay. AIR-CAP3502 for those that care. I had managed to get them into autonomous mode with some pirated Cisco software. I was pretty proud of myself and for a time it was okay, but being limited to 53mb/s has become too much of a limitation. I needed to get one of those fancy Cisco ap controllers, but used, they run like $400. So I'm just going to toss these white chunks of crap on ebay and hope to break even. I really wanted something nice. I wanted AC speeds, mesh network with Ethernet back-haul, and EASY software setup. Long story short, I found the TP-Link EAP245. https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/c … 039_EAP245.html I just got them setup a few hours ago and it was damn easy. I'm sure the Cisco units would work better, but the idea of needing several networking classes just for access points? Fuck that noise. I tested the speeds and I'm capping the gig connections between my laptop and my nas. That was short lived, and I'll explain later.

Chapter 3 - How to fuck up a $300 lock set.
I want to preface this by explaining we were both at fault here. Kwikset and myself. I had the pick of locks at the local Homeless Despot store. I picked the Kevo because it was the only lock that didn't have that asinine keypad on the front. To me, a keypad like this just broadcasts to the area "hey guess a 4-digit code to get in!". Not going to have that shit, so we paid out the ass for the Kevo. Where the Ring doorbell had amazingly easy to follow directions, the Kevo had fuck all. No worries, I manage multiple rental properties, how hard can a lock be when its from Kwikset. OI VEY. First off, My first set was used. This was not obvious until much later, but it was opened previously. Nothing was missing, all the screws were in the packages. Anyway, spent hours fucking with the damn thing. 30 minutes was spent keeping my phone next to the damn thing so it could update the software on the lock. Yea, never figured I'd ever do something like that, but here we are. So, the damned thing just refused to work right. It was so jammed, I thought about getting some peanut butter and bread to make a damn sammich. I'm looking at all the pieces and I just get the feeling it was returned by someone who just took the part out they needed and popped their broken ass unit in the box. So I took it back, pissed. I go on Amazon get free prime for a month (again) and order a new set from them. (I also got the wifi units) I got the package today. A Sunday. The app notified me while I was asleep it arrived, and even had an image of where they left my box. How nice of them, right? Anyway, I get to opening it, and this one has shrink wrap, the last one didn't. so figuring I just had someone else's bad unit I install this one. For the record, things were in different places, so my suspicion I had an open box mounted. Alas, this unit just would not work. It would grind and complain of being jammed. I went to take a dump, just to let myself cool down before I jammed it back into the box and sent it back to amazon. I figure now was a good time to read the manual. DID NOT COME WITH ONE. There were templates for screw holes. An EULA sheet. (Another surreal experience for a door lock) A guide to re-key the physical key to match your existing key. No manual for installation. So I Google the issue. Turns out you need to press a key in a certain order for it to 'program' itself to the door. So it knows how far to turn the lock. Finished my business, washed my hands, and pressed the button twice. Lock made some noises for like 5 seconds, beeped twice, and fucking worked perfectly. JESUS TAPDANCING FUCKING CHRIST! Whomever is/was in charge of the manual/box contents for the Kevo lock needs to be fucking sacked. I pissed and moaned about this for like 2 hours afterwards during dinner and immediatly following. It now works just fine. I'm going to have fun with my roommate, she wont have a key when I goto work tonight. She will ring the Ring doorbell, I will answer from work, 30 minutes away, ask for the password, fuck with her for a few minutes before unlocking it remotely. You gotta make your own fun sometimes.

Chapter 4 - Plans for the future, more devices!
To start, I'm going to need to put my NAS into a proper chassis. Right now I have 24x 1TB laptop dvr drives in a big honking Lian-li v2100 case. I just had a drive fail. I haven't opened the case yet, but its the same drive that failed 2 months ago, so I'm certain it is the cable again. So I'm getting a nice rackmount case with 24 drive sleds. Money I don't have. Yes I know I just regaled you all with $800 of stuff, but that wasn't my money. I still have one AP to setup in the basement, but I'm tired, I'll do it later, but I expect it to be totally plug-and-play like the other two. I want to get them all on POE. So I will be getting a nice gigabit POE switch, probably rackmount. In the near future, I will be installing 3x poe security cameras. One for the drive way/garage door, one for the mailbox, and one inside to watch the doggos. Also when I eventually get a new garage door, the opener will be wi-fi enabled, because why the fuck not. I just installed one at a rental. I even gave them a $2 thrift store linksys router to use and helped them connect it to the house as a repeater. I can now open my tenants garage door from my house. I don't want this kind of responsibility! I see on the tv, commercials for practically all appliances to be wifi enabled. A dryer that can be told to keep tumbling because I got busy? Jesus, I leave my clothes in the dryer for days at a time. I don't need my stove to have an app. I don't need a fridge with a built in TV. I will concede wifi lights might be useful, but I have no NEED of them. But yet, with all this saturation of IOT, I honestly don't feel that bad. I just got a practically new color laser printer for $10 from a thriftstore. (I shit you not) and I feel happy that I am not required to manually wire it up to the network, that I can just throw it literally anywhere in the house now and it will work.

Chapter 5 - final thoughts
I'm actually quite amazed at the state of technology we live in. All of us here are accustomed to old hardware. I remember the promise and initial failure of "plug-n-pray". I remember things pre-USB. I remember thinking how convenient it would be to have a set of ports on the back and not have to power cycle the computer to get it to work. Look at it now. I replaced a working lock with something I have little faith in. Something that quite possibly will leave me outside in the cold one day while I bumble with an app update. But the sheer novelty of having a door automatically unlock when you walk up to it. It really is something to be experienced. I can be taking a shit and answer the door. I believe Ol' Musky said it best; "we are already cyborgs". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrGPuUQsDjo

Whelp, time to go to work to pay for all this shit. Would have been cheaper to just buy another maglight...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 47, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice.. didn't read all of it, but around where I am, some family members and a bunch of other people in their neighborhood had stuff stolen from their vehicles by some latino and possibly black "kids"

One of their neighbors got it on camera the one time, so I am pretty sure they got caught as it hasn't happened in quite a while now.

I've also had stuff stolen off of my property multiple times... pretty sure I know who did some of the stealing as they are in/out of jail. Haven't seen them around in probably a year or so so I am hoping they got locked up for a long time. They are white.

Another person stole some stuff off my property and little did they know that somebody was home and saw them lurking about. They got ID'd out of a lineup.

Things I have had stolen off of my property.. feel glad that you just had a few small things stolen:

20 gallon air compressor
3-ton hydraulic floor jack
nice large vise/anvil
2x chainsaws
1x gas powered pole saw
5 gallon gas can with probably 3 gallons of gas in it
Speakers out of one of my vehicles
rakes
shovels

I'm about ready to get a high resolution security camera setup.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 47, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[Jeff goldblum voice] Or..... Or..... Ah.... Um.... You could have told her no, you won't waste time and money on nonsense. [/Jeff goldblum voice]

I don't give a crap what color they are. Why didn't their parents raise children to respect others and their property?

I love technology, but it doesn't always belong. I have more PCs than most people, but my cars have crank up windows. Why unnecessarily complicate things? Nobody is going to hack my door locks one day and walk in like they own the place. Cameras won't electrocute robbers and detain them for the cops. Now there's a picture of the robbers. Great, I'm saving space on the mantle next to uncle Louie's wedding photo for them.

Get a training class and a permit if it's necessary. Where I live, there's always someone target shooting. And no crime. That's not a coincidence.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 4 of 47, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My worthless opinion, this country (USA) is losing it's grasp on the concept of accountability or taking responsibility for stupid choices. Trust me I've made my fair share.

On home security, I'm old school! 9mm Taurus and a 135lb German Shepherd - try asking HIM what he thinks about IOT and WiFi.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 6 of 47, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

The rich assholes in charge of this country sure have done a good job of dividing us so they stay in power.

Trying to find conspiratorial scapegoats for problems where Occam's razor applies much more cleanly is the surest way to firmly entrench those problems, and to continue being surprised, shocked and dismayed in the future at why they keep on occurring...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 47, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the good old days, the sheriff would just throw the hooligans in the can for a couple days and then leave their parents to deal with it, if it was a first offense... assuming the sheriff wasn't racist.

But this ain't the good old days. I've put a lot of thought into this and I honestly can't come up with anything that would resolve this racial tension, which, yes, goes both ways from both sides.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 8 of 47, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMHO, people in this country - on both sides, on every side, have lost their damn minds.

that said, there is something to be said about the retreat to the warm glow of vintage steel. Old machines that are still running so many years later - a testament to their engineering - offer a simple promise. No politics, no races. If someone breaks in, they're not going to be stealing your old IBM. These machines don't change their minds, make you take out the trash, or judge every word you did or didn't mean to say or write. You do your homework, read the tomes of reference, figure out how they work, and for those brief hours it all brings you back to a simpler time when you were a FREAKING WIZARD, able to tame the arcane knowledge and be rewarded with anywhere from four to fourthousandninetysix colors - at the same time - and single channel to polyphonic sound when no one else had a clue.

You're a good guy Bob. Keep on trucking.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 9 of 47, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OT, but what do you guys think is going to happen in November? Have conditions for ordinary people (employment etc.) improved the last couple of years?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 47, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

9mm Ford Taurus? Sweet car.

heh, suffers from "vapor lock"

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 11 of 47, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cobra42898 wrote:
[Jeff goldblum voice] Or..... Or..... Ah.... Um.... You could have told her no, you won't waste time and money on nonsense. [/Je […]
Show full quote

[Jeff goldblum voice] Or..... Or..... Ah.... Um.... You could have told her no, you won't waste time and money on nonsense. [/Jeff goldblum voice]

I don't give a crap what color they are. Why didn't their parents raise children to respect others and their property?

I love technology, but it doesn't always belong. I have more PCs than most people, but my cars have crank up windows. Why unnecessarily complicate things? Nobody is going to hack my door locks one day and walk in like they own the place. Cameras won't electrocute robbers and detain them for the cops. Now there's a picture of the robbers. Great, I'm saving space on the mantle next to uncle Louie's wedding photo for them.

Get a training class and a permit if it's necessary. Where I live, there's always someone target shooting. And no crime. That's not a coincidence.

I've thought about getting an electronic lock for when I just need to run the trash out to the curb or take the dog for a short walk or visit the neighbor. I would still keep a regular deadbolt for when I'm going to be gone 12 hours or more. Even if someone could hack the e-lock they are still going to have to get through the deadbolt.

And while what these kids did was dumb, and they did break the law, having them do hard time for it seems a bit much. A few nights in lockup and community service maybe, but not hard time.

Reply 12 of 47, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love a good rant!

#last night in Sweden

Here in my neighborhood the cars be burning!

5 cars parked less than 10 meters from my car got torched a couple of months ago with fuel tanks exploding and so on. My car still reeks of smoke but luckily it diddn't catch fire eventhough it was covered in soot and ash. As cars are burning every week in this community people are starting to get fed up and many ended up voting with these kind of issues in mind.

Here is the pinout you requested for the cable mess I posted in the "did stuff" thread. It seems it's mostly the same as a VGA to RGB cable but pin 2 of the DB9 isn't connected to GND. EGA use that pin as "RED 0" but my cable dosn't have it connected at all. I have not tried any colour stuff other than the video cards colour tests at POST, they look alright though. My 5.25" floppies are in storage except for a single DOS start disk so I have only checked if systems POST and are able to boot DOS.

Pinout DB9 MDA CGA EGA to NEC Multisync LCD1990FXp DB15.jpg
Filename
Pinout DB9 MDA CGA EGA to NEC Multisync LCD1990FXp DB15.jpg
File size
129.91 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 13 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@ skyscraper

Awesome! thank you!

I do have a couple doggos and a 1911 that only sees the light of day every 6 months or so at the range. THE WAY IT SHOULD BE by the way. I've never been worried about person protection. It might sound hipster/millennial of me to say, but if I ever got mugged, and they threatened to shoot me, I'm sure my ADD would kick in and I'd blurt out "don't threaten me with a good time!" I see the whole situation thusly; The cameras/locks do two things. The visible ones prevent jackasses from picking the low hanging fruit. Big Amazon box on my porch? The neighbor behind me has a video of a dude going up to snatch a box, looks straight into the camera, covers his face, and leaves. And if that fails, I will at least have documentation for the authorities so they can find the guy. I always buy insurance for packages for this reason.

The lock was needed. We did need a new lock. A few years ago I broke the key off in the lock, and we naturally did the normal thing and just stopped locking the door. We figured if people are stupid enough to try their luck with my GSD and Pit-mix, they deserved what they got. But over time, we have a family member who become roommate and they want to bring over their fuckboy of the week. So to prevent that, where the dogs are useless, a camera/remote lock seemed like a good idea.

The doorbell is way too sensitive. We have birds/bees visiting the flowers out front and it sets off the motion sensor. So i've been having fun with that. A security 'feature' of this device, forces you to physically touch the doorbell to change any setting. While part of my brain pisses and moans about the slight inconvenience, the rational part shuts the rest down with the fact, that it prevents someone remotely turning it off and coming to the door.

My mother and I had a discussion of the recent events, and she is happy. So happy in fact when we replace our garage door, it will be wifi enabled. (the door is on its last leg, but for a cheap 40 y/o door i can't complain) I've been encouraging her to keep up with tech, a double edge sword to be sure. She wants to be able to open the garage let in deliveries and close the door behind. So yea, fun.

I'm over the moon with the new WIFI AP's. I'm not 100% on the management being done by my windows computer. it works great, but I'll probably get the linux version and toss it on a VM on my NAS. Oh wait, Is till gotta fix that. *groan*

Reply 15 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

close, I got 3 of these: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/c … 039_EAP245.html

I put one in the basement for my sister and the guy that got her knocked up. one in the living room that also covers 2 bedrooms where a cousin shacks with us, the third in the garage, which also covers the last 2 bedrooms, for my mother and I. Three generations, one house. Its chaotic, but with the prices of decent housing...

Reply 16 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, so I wanted to poke around inside one of my cisco wifi points. Just for giggles.

https://imgur.com/a/M3kLZSA

The fucking 5g was un fucking plugged in all 3 of my ap's. WHAT THE SHIT?

I plugged it back in, worked perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiCZP09F6FQ

Reply 17 of 47, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

#last night in Sweden

Here in my neighborhood the cars be burning!

5 cars parked less than 10 meters from my car got torched a couple of months ago with fuel tanks exploding and so on. My car still reeks of smoke but luckily it diddn't catch fire eventhough it was covered in soot and ash. As cars are burning every week in this community people are starting to get fed up and many ended up voting with these kind of issues in mind.

Yes, it's a very new thing in Nordic countries and we are really not accustomed to this kind of behavior. I mean, 20 years a go you mostly saw black people in music videos and people from Middle East were just some bad guys in movies. In the past 10 years there's been tens of thousands of refugees and immigrants moving to Europe and some people/nations handle the situation better than others. We in the north tend to be mostly xenophobic and it's a very difficult, if not impossible, task to integrate into this kind of homogeneous society.

Reply 18 of 47, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

We in the north tend to be mostly xenophobic and it's a very difficult, if not impossible, task to integrate into this kind of homogeneous society.

I hear for first time that Nordic societies are xenophobic. In comparison with who?

I don't think your prime minister could declare "we won't take even single Syrian orphan" like mine did and remain popular.

Reply 19 of 47, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well evidently they *are* xenophobic; why else would they go and torch immigrants' cars in the stree-- oh wait nvm.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]