VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember long ago as a kid my dad had these computer friends of his and one of them gave him these DOS CDs called "Night Owl" or something similar. It had a picture of an Owl when you ran it. I originally thought these were special computer CD-ROM music discs, though not with redbook audio (but it could have been). As I got older and got into music and discovered the tracker scene I thought maybe they may have been Tracker Demo discs or something. I only remember two for certain Night Owl and Night Owl 2.

But now I've read on here that Night Owl were BBS shareware CDs. Maybe I am confusing the two, but did these Night Owl CDs ever have music that accompanied them? Because all I remember of them was that there was this EGA (or possibly ASCII) graphics menu with an owl and you'd just cycle through music tracks and play them. I don't remember a thing about the shareware. I do, however, clearly remember liking the music so much I got my dad to record two of the tracks on cassette tape for me. One track was called "Rhapsody" and the other was called "Art" and I remember that there were others but I don't remember anything about them or their names. I can't remember for the life of me what the music melodies actually were or sounded like, only that I liked them. But they were not OPL MIDI-based as far as I can tell (I could be wrong about that), which is why I thought they might be MODs. I think that they were electronic and synth based style-wise. I still have the cassette case where I wrote the names of the tracks on as a kid and I clearly remember loving them and listening to it often but the cassette itself has long since been lost to time and I can't find any inkling that they even existed besides my cassette tape case label.

Are these the same Night Owl CDs as the BBS shareware collection discs I see referenced here? Do those CDs come with music tracks you can listen to? I'm dying to become reacquainted with these songs and put this mystery to rest after 25-30 years or so. Can anyone help me?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, I remember "Night Owl" as a series of shareware CDs, too.
The content of these discs usually can be found on FTP servers scattered around the world.
The internet archive has some copies of these CDs, too.

The music that came with them often was MIDI and MOD (Amiga tracker), maybe also VOC/WAV (wave) sometimes.

For MIDI playback, you can use any modern computer normally. Sound quality depends on the system's General MIDI (GM) sound font.
Or, for more authencity, use a DOS based MIDI player. Windows 3.1 and SEAL2 have some support built-in, I think.

MOD is like MIDI, but with WAV snippets instead of FM synthesis (simply said).
Good players were MOD4WIN, Impulse Tracker, etc. On Mac, just try XimpleMOD.

Edit: Also have a look at http://modarchive.org/
Edit: Found some songs called "Rhapsody" and "Art" there.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently came into possession of a whole box of shareware CD's (given to me by a now retired vintage computer collector) and some of them are Night Owl CD's.
Wil someday go through them and see what's on there (if they are still readable 😀).

Reply 3 of 10, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

I didn't. I thought they were music-only.

The music that came with them often was MIDI and MOD (Amiga tracker), maybe also VOC/WAV (wave) sometimes.

So there was a music player on them despite being geared towards shareware? This is my main question. Because I remember these music tracks being playable in some kind of menu, not with a third-party player, with the Night Owl title and a picture of an owl present while you played/cycled through tracks.

For MIDI playback, you can use any modern computer normally. Sound quality depends on the system's General MIDI (GM) sound font. […]
Show full quote

For MIDI playback, you can use any modern computer normally. Sound quality depends on the system's General MIDI (GM) sound font.
Or, for more authencity, use a DOS based MIDI player. Windows 3.1 and SEAL2 have some support built-in, I think.

MOD is like MIDI, but with WAV snippets instead of FM synthesis (simply said).
Good players were MOD4WIN, Impulse Tracker, etc. On Mac, just try XimpleMOD.

I've had my own songs on MOD Archive for many years now. I know what a MOD is. 😉

Edit: Also have a look at http://modarchive.org/
Edit: Found some songs called "Rhapsody" and "Art" there.

I've searched there before as well but I can't be sure of any of them. None of the 3 "Rhapsody" tracks there sound familiar or anything like the remnants in my memory. There are way too many "Art" MODs to figure out one way or the other. The only single "Art" title track on there sounds pretty terrible. The only way I'd know for sure is to run the discs myself. I'm fairly certain I only knew about the first and second CDs. I definitely remember Night Owl 2, anyway. I assumed the other one was Night Owl 1.

I found the contents of each Night Owl disc on CD.Textfiles.com but it seems that you must download/view each file separately which could take ages. I've also not seen any mod, mid, or wav/voc files on any of them so far. Archive.org only has a handful of them and none of them are the first and second CDs. Any further help in tracking these down would be appreciated. I'll keep looking.

My Github

Reply 4 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MusicallyInspired wrote:

So there was a music player on them despite being geared towards shareware? This is my main question.
Because I remember these music tracks being playable in some kind of menu, not with a third-party player,
with the Night Owl title and a picture of an owl present while you played/cycled through tracks.

I see. Well, it wasn't unusual to see pictures, clip arts and MODs/MIDIs on such disks, as well.
Maybe you're looking for a music disk ? Some demoscene groups released them in those times.
Also, some disk mags (diskette magazines) had music, too. 😀

Ediit: Or maybe the night owl discs had a menu ?

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 10, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Again, this is exactly my question.

My Github

Reply 6 of 10, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

Again, this is exactly my question.

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

I didn't. I thought they were music-only.

I googled "night owl cd msdos". You can see the ascii menu and categories in action here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKo5tk8WMo#

Reply 7 of 10, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did find that video as well. But it's CD #17 (not 1 or 2) and the menu is nothing like what I remember. And there's clearly no music options. Do they all have that menu? If so, then perhaps Night Owl is not what I'm remembering and I've confused the two. Or I mistook the Night Owl CDs for whatever music program it was that I remember and recorded on tape around the same time.

But then Jo22 seemed to imply that there was music on the Night Owl CDs. Seeing as I have no experience with them other than that I'm just trying to get some clarification because I'm still a bit confused as to the nature of these discs.

My Github

Reply 8 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm.. I've got some results for night owl at the internet archive.
Maybe you're lucky and recognize one or more of the covers of your old CDs or their jevel cases. 😀

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 10, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going through again now and have been downloading them. There seems to actually be more than what I initially found. Hopefully the entire library.

My Github

Reply 10 of 10, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I haven't found any music yet. I wonder where those discs came from....maybe I am completely confusing two different things.

My Github