VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been going on a spending spree lately getting some of the older popular games that I never got a chance to play in my earlier computing years. Have not heard much on Blood 2 or Descent 3, anyone care to chime in give their take?

My latest acquisitions:

Duke Nukem Atomic
Dark Forces
Doom 2 W95 version (meant to get the DOS flavor!)
Descent II
NFL Blitz 2000
Commache 4
System Shock 2
Blood GOG
Serious Sam the 2nd Encounter
Unreal Tournament 2004

Next on the agenda: If not Blood 2 or Descent 3 maybe Tomb Raider 1-3?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2 of 10, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Descent 3 is great - if you didn't like D1 & D2, it won't change your mind, but I thought it was a fine continuation to the series and had heaps of fun with it in both SP & multiplayer back in the day. I understand it's a bit finicky to run on modern PCs though.

No idea about Blood 2, but I'm not a big fan of Blood 1 either. Psychedelic Eyeball played through it on his Youtube channel a while ago and it looked a bit chewy.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 10, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know about Blood 2 and Descent 3, but I quite liked Tomb Raider 1, 2 and 3 and recommend them if you like 3d platforming. I also have to say I played these games 15 years or so after release and I think they still hold up quite well on their own on merits of exploring, puzzles and atmosphere. As shooters I do not recommend them however.

Reply 4 of 10, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Descent 3 was boring when I checked out the first few levels. Never thought much of it. Blood 2 is a disaster that could have been great if GT didn't decide to ship a game that was about half finished; I think the best review on it I've seen is Civvie 11's 3 part epic.
Of course, you CAN mod it with Extra Crispy to make it more playable, but that mod has some serious enemy spawning problems (I got into rooms where there were nearly 10 soldiers clipping into each other because of how insane the spawn rates are.)

Your money is better spent elsewhere though. I recommend getting MechWarrior 2 & 3 and Starsiege if you haven't already.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 5 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Descent 3 boring...? How?

Descent 3 is literally a 6D0F Unreal 1. And let's be honest, it improved alot of issues Descent 2 continued to suffer from. (namely actually making the AI challenging and such)

Descent 3 also has really wonderful multiplayer but the co-op play crashes alot... There's way too many good custom maps for the game to list here.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 10, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

-snip-

Well, it's been a while since I have played the game, so maybe I was just very pessimistic. When I find the time I might give it another shot to see if I can level with you on that 😀

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 7 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just don't play Descent 3 on "Insane", it is basically like trying to play UT99 on "Godlike" difficulty, i.e. neigh impossible.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 9 of 10, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Always have really really really low expectations Some of these "old school classic retro" games were quite terrible in their day.

Yeah, probably need to get with the times and get a modern rig. Only thing with the games these days is you need:

fast internet
steam activation
origin activation
license activation
urine sample
fingerprint
facial recognition

Ok I'm being sarcastic - sorry, but wish things were simpler that's all.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W