Common searches

The great Pentium Pro haul of 2018

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shot this back in December 2018, but just getting around to posting it now. Unboxing a case of factory sealed Intel Pentium Pro 200MHz 1MB cache CPUs from the haul.

Unboxing A Factory Sealed Case Of Pentium Pro 200MHz 1MB Cache CPUs

Last edited by liqmat on 2023-08-13, 01:04. Edited 9 times in total.

Reply 141 of 169, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Shot this back in December 2018, but just getting around to posting it now. Unboxing a case of factory sealed Intel Pentium Pro 200MHz 1MB cache CPUs from the haul.

https://youtu.be/6QE4vv8RcaY

It looks like they were vacuum packed for freshness.

Amazing. Thanks for the video.

Reply 143 of 169, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess Intel figured its cosmetic, its not consumer grade so system builders of the day should know better and not return an item for something that's just getting covered up anyway.
But I was still surprised as well.

Reply 144 of 169, by mmx23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:

https://youtu.be/6QE4vv8RcaY

Where you will sell your goods? Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to send you an PM, but do you have Pentium II overdrive for sale?

Reply 146 of 169, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Unfortunately First International Computer has recently locked up their FTP site with a password and their vintage hardware files have become unavailable. The BIOS images for the FIC PN-6210 dual Socket 8 motherboard can be found here. This includes the final release beta revision 1.036. Cheers.

http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#FIC

Update: Good news. Looks like their FTP site is back online. - ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/

Any chance someone from here archived the BIOS files from their FTP? It doesn't seem to be online at all and I need to update the BIOS of my PN-6210. I'm finally (after a year! 😲 ) getting round to making a build out of the small share I got from this haul, but the PN-6210 isn't playing nice with some of my IDE drives, and I suspect it might suffer from the 8.4Gb HDD limit. Maybe a later BIOS version would solve the problem?

I am planning to make a separate build thread with pictures soon.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 147 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Unfortunately First International Computer has recently locked up their FTP site with a password and their vintage hardware files have become unavailable. The BIOS images for the FIC PN-6210 dual Socket 8 motherboard can be found here. This includes the final release beta revision 1.036. Cheers.

Update: Good news. Looks like their FTP site is back online. - ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/

Any chance someone from here archived the BIOS files from their FTP? It doesn't seem to be online at all and I need to update the BIOS of my PN-6210. I'm finally (after a year! 😲 ) getting round to making a build out of the small share I got from this haul, but the PN-6210 isn't playing nice with some of my IDE drives, and I suspect it might suffer from the 8.4Gb HDD limit. Maybe a later BIOS version would solve the problem?

If you click on that minuszerodegrees link you will see I also archived all the BIOS revisions including the last beta build. Good luck!

Reply 148 of 169, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! I obviously read your original post too quickly and failed to notice you archived the BIOS files as well 😒
Will get them now to try the update...

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 149 of 169, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MMaximus wrote:
liqmat wrote:

I had all sorts of problems with HDD's and my 6210 as well, In the end I found it doesn't really like 80pin IDE cables, 40 pin and those same hard drives detected just fine.
(But your still limited to 8GB drives, even with the beta bios)

Reply 150 of 169, by lorddrakul75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ph4nt0m wrote:
I have saved a few Pentium Pro based mainboards from their ultimate destruction the last year. The most interesting one was this […]
Show full quote

I have saved a few Pentium Pro based mainboards from their ultimate destruction the last year. The most interesting one was this Supermicro P6DNF.

9462F3T.jpg

November, 1996. Full size AT. Two 180MHz/256k SL23L CPUs with the original Supermicro branded VRMs using DIP switches to set up voltage. 8x 64Mb EDO memory. The barrel battery started to leak, so I was right in time to prevent a serious damage.

hey dude found this exact board in a 1996 add. it retailed back then at $1185 dual pentium pros 180mhz were $720 each and that 16mb edo x4 was another $780 total=$3405...
wow that was more than 3mos pay for me back then.

Reply 151 of 169, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Holy cow. I have no idea how I missed this thread. I have several IBM Pentium Pro 6589s that can run dual processors but finding the vrm has always been an issue as well as a second processor. I should have seen this. 🙁

Very glad all this stuff was rescued!

Reply 152 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Samir wrote on 2020-01-23, 23:57:

Holy cow. I have no idea how I missed this thread. I have several IBM Pentium Pro 6589s that can run dual processors but finding the vrm has always been an issue as well as a second processor. I should have seen this. 🙁

I would say about half of this haul is still left, but currently it is in storage since I had to help some family members over the holiday season. I will be taking it out of storage probably sometime in June to liquidate the rest as I am downsizing since I am on the road quite a bit. Keep an eye on this thread for details.

Luckybob took, I would say, about 10% of what was in the haul as he wanted a nice sampling of each hardware category. I know he will sell bits of it in limited quantities as well, but wants to keep most of it for his own use from what I understand.

The best part of all of this is the preservation of specific documents and software that comes with some of these items. You can find my contributions over at Minuszerodegrees.net and of course the ALR 6x6 resource archive at Vogonsdrivers.com. Many of the Socket 8 motherboard manuals and driver disks had not been archived yet and I still have more to go.

Reply 153 of 169, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yea, PC365's are neat machines, I really should finish up my "series" on them I have started.

World of Warcraft (Classic) is a hell of a drug kids!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 154 of 169, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2020-01-24, 00:20:
I would say about half of this haul is still left, but currently it is in storage since I had to help some family members over t […]
Show full quote
Samir wrote on 2020-01-23, 23:57:

I would say about half of this haul is still left, but currently it is in storage since I had to help some family members over the holiday season. I will be taking it out of storage probably sometime in June to liquidate the rest as I am downsizing since I am on the road quite a bit. Keep an eye on this thread for details.

Luckybob took, I would say, about 10% of what was in the haul as he wanted a nice sampling of each hardware category. I know he will sell bits of it in limited quantities as well, but wants to keep most of it for his own use from what I understand.

The best part of all of this is the preservation of specific documents and software that comes with some of these items. You can find my contributions over at Minuszerodegrees.net and of course the ALR 6x6 resource archive at Vogonsdrivers.com. Many of the Socket 8 motherboard manuals and driver disks had not been archived yet and I still have more to go.

Very cool. The archiving part of this is a great service to enthusiasts everywhere as very common manuals and drivers are now virtually impossible to find.

This reminds me of all the vintage hardware we still have including boxes, manuals, drivers, and the devices themselves that once I catalog and scan/image, I need to upload and share too. It's a big job though, as you know.

Reply 155 of 169, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2020-01-24, 01:09:

Oh yea, PC365's are neat machines, I really should finish up my "series" on them I have started.

Oooo...where's the start of the series? I have 8 of these machines more than half are pp180s, but I've got at least 2x pp200s that I know of. I have the original boxes, manuals, and even the NT install discs too. 😁

Reply 156 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Samir wrote on 2020-01-24, 03:32:

Oooo...where's the start of the series? I have 8 of these machines more than half are pp180s, but I've got at least 2x pp200s that I know of. I have the original boxes, manuals, and even the NT install discs too. 😁

Samir, walk through this thread and you will find LB's videos and check out his channel. One thing I like about his videos is that he keeps it real and without a lot of annoying overproduction.

Reply 157 of 169, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2020-01-27, 19:30:
Samir wrote on 2020-01-24, 03:32:

Samir, walk through this thread and you will find LB's videos and check out his channel. One thing I like about his videos is that he keeps it real and without a lot of annoying overproduction.

Thank you! Will do!

Reply 158 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2018-12-01, 17:37:
To those of you who collect drivers, system software, etc. this might be of some interest to you. Since we picked up those ALR 6 […]
Show full quote

To those of you who collect drivers, system software, etc. this might be of some interest to you. Since we picked up those ALR 6x6 servers in this haul LB and I had zero software for the systems. Luckily in the ALR sub channel I started over at Discord we got some Vogons members that had ALR systems themselves and had collected the software over the years from various websites that are now defunct. One of those websites was archived, but most of the documents and software were not archived. This is the archived site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031030111834/ht … chive/index.htm

Well, thanks to Vogons members hard1k and gbeirn we have roughly 95% of that website's file content and extra files to boot. I have compiled both hard1k's and gbeirn's files to make as complete of an archive that is possible. Having that archived website allowed me to create folders with descriptions of what each file was so I basically mirrored that website's index structure via a Windows folder structure. If a file is missing or corrupt (luckily not many are) I put that in the folder's description and created a text file or left the original corrupted file in that folder as a placeholder so others can research or hunt for those files in the future. I did not change the actual filenames so others can search for the original files that are missing or corrupt. Luckily, since most of the files are there, there is more than enough resources to easily get an ALR 6x6 system up and running.

There is one folder in the zip file that is not on the website which I named "Various Other ALR Resources". Those are the extra files that were not on that archived website and are additional resources for or relating to ALR systems. I'll leave it up to the community to sort through that. My main goal was to try and combine all these resources together and rebuild as best as possible the archived "Gavin Hubbard ALR 6x6 Software Archive" file structure and content.

Thanks again to Vogons members hard1k and gbeirn for sharing their files since ALR drivers and software are not easy to come by anymore and hopefully by posting it here those files wont be elusive for future ALR system collectors.

Here is the link to the archive:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1472

Just a quick update to the ALR 6x6 resource archive. Thanks to new Vogons member and fellow ALR 6x6 owner DonKom we now have one of the last remaining missing pieces to the archive. A complete image of the System Configuration Utility Production Version 1.01. It has been placed in the proper folder in the archive which just had a text file placeholder that stated it was missing. Here is a link to the latest version:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … &menustate=28,0

Thanks again DonKom for an important contribution. ALR 6x6 owners are a small club and we'll take what we can get on found resources to keep these beasts running.

Update: Thanks to SquallStrife for updating the archive file on Vogonsdrivers. I have updated the link to reflect that. Cheers.

Last edited by liqmat on 2020-10-06, 00:35. Edited 3 times in total.