VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a question for anyone old enough to know:

I'm playing Galaxian on a Super Impulse Tiny Arcade. I know that this isn't an exact clone of the arcade but rather a reimplmentation but I've also never played the original and don't know how things are supposed to be.

On this version I noticed that firing my ship's weapon causes it to stop moving while the shoot button is held down. Releasing the button will resume movement along the direction indicated by my joystick.

It feels awkward to have my ship stop moving when firing rather than fire while in motion. Is this behavior found in the original arcade cabinet or any other variant?

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/338553/

Attachments

• V9UGI.jpg
    Filename
    V9UGI.jpg
    File size
    174 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:

No, that's not normal. Movement was totally unimpeded from the firing.

Agreed. I played the original in the early 80s (both licensed and bootleg cabinets) and your ship could move while pressing the firing button. The Tiny Arcade version is not doing it right.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 4, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, that game consumed my lunchbreak while working at an amusement park - Kings Island!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 4 of 4, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote:

Heh, that game consumed my lunchbreak while working at an amusement park - Kings Island!

I love Kings Island!

My favorite ride was Top Gun. 😀

JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Agreed. I played the original in the early 80s (both licensed and bootleg cabinets) and your ship could move while pressing the firing button. The Tiny Arcade version is not doing it right.

I thought so. I found it so strange that my ship would stop. When I slide to one side, I can predict at a constant velocity that I will "miss" an incoming volley but still shoot and hit an enemy as I swung by. But the pause from firing will often result in that volley hitting me instead.

The buttons are hard to press and the joystick is itself an array of buttons and not an analog stick which makes movement difficult. But all of this can be gotten used to with practice. It's the sudden halting while firing that ruins an otherwise perfectly good tiny arcade game and an unfortunate first impression for me and Galaxian.